• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

That was a conversation I had with a coworker. I told him I could run a mile in about 6 minutes. I'd probably pass out after that.

These people are jogging 26 miles at a faster pace than that.

That may be the first time I have ever seen or heard what an elite marathoner does described as "jogging."

25434331.jpg

my slow (okay totally mid-pack) butt snaps at people for saying I'm jogging... elites definitely aren't jogging.

I say it's jogging because they look so effortless doing it.

looks pretty awesome!

My riding/racing has been kind of weird this spring. After getting such a late start with riding and outside training this year, I'm now dealing with ongoing effects of the crazy vertigo-ness I had last year. I really struggle on descents and on bumpy roads of any sort, and it basically renders my peripheral vision useless. This isn't the absolute worst for just riding on my own or with a few other people, but I do not feel like I could be safe at all (for myself or those around me) in a peloton. Kind of put a damper on my racing for the spring.

Still doing my best to ride as much as I can, and basically just mentally preparing for 'cross season (where yes, it's bumpy, but theoretically you're not elbow-elbow while on the wheel of someone else).

You didn't even do the 5th checkpoint!?

(a friend of mine was also doing it, haven't talked to him about it yet but from what I heard he was just dead after)

Mang, dat checkpoint was all the way on top of Spencer Gap. #nopenopenope

We could have MAYBE gotten out and back in 1.5 hours, and gotten a 2 hour bonus for a net 30 minute improvement, but we had a long way to just get back home (and still had to grab Pilot Cove overlook on the way by). So we figured it would be a net loss overall to climb all the way up there to lose time. Anyhow, it was an epic day. Can't wait until next year's version.

Just signed up for the October Tough Mudder. I know there's discussion for that on this thread, but I didn't want to go back 522 pages. Any advice?

Just signed up for the October Tough Mudder. I know there's discussion for that on this thread, but I didn't want to go back 522 pages. Any advice?
I very, very much disliked being shocked.

If you're running with a crew, stick with them for the race. There were numerous events in which it was easier to work with your team rather than try to pair off with randos. If you have the option of splitting off for the "test obstacles," it's pretty cool.

This is all being said with the idea that the courses and obstacles are ever-changing.

Overall, it was a fun event, but once was enough for about a year. Not in terms of the physicality or training, more in terms of I enjoy running races more.

I got to do a cool thing (or three) this weekend.
Saturday morning I was able to go on a 40 mile casual ride with Kristin Armstrong, Robbie Ventura and Bob Roll. Maybe 40 people total rode, which got whittled down to 25 or so by the time we got back to town. Then we grabbed lunch with lots of pro racers in town. then I raced the Masters 35+ crit, which was less successful :)
Sunday morning I rode a gran fondo with the same folks + George Hincapie. Even got into a little 2 day city/county line sprint contest with Armstrong. She is a better climber than me, for the record.
All of the pros were really nice and personable. I can see how they've been so successful post racing career. Well, except Kristin, I reckon she's still racing some.
Then today the current pros raced and a girl who stayed with us in town, Leah Thomas, came in second. That was a lot of fun to watch.
Most famous people I've been around since dinner and a game with Jordan back in 85.

Saturday morning I was able to go on a 40 mile casual ride with Kristin Armstrong, Robbie Ventura and Bob Roll. Maybe 40 people total rode, which got whittled down to 25 or so by the time we got back to town. Then we grabbed lunch with lots of pro racers in town. then I raced the Masters 35+ crit, which was less successful :)
Sunday morning I rode a gran fondo with the same folks + George Hincapie. Even got into a little 2 day city/county line sprint contest with Armstrong. She is a better climber than me, for the record.
All of the pros were really nice and personable. I can see how they've been so successful post racing career. Well, except Kristin, I reckon she's still racing some.
Then today the current pros raced and a girl who stayed with us in town, Leah Thomas, came in second. That was a lot of fun to watch.
Most famous people I've been around since dinner and a game with Jordan back in 85.

this is awesome!!

I had a most magical weekend down in Bend, playing on my new (well, purchased around Christmastime last year) mountain bike.
Now I'm debating whether or not I made a mistake buying a house in Portland and if I should just run away from everything and live out of a van and mountain bike all the time.

...thinking the house was the right choice, but damn. So much fun.

I recently got a pair of Hoka Clifton 3's. I wasn't having any pain or injuries. Just thought I'd check them out to decrease the pounding as I get older (46).

I really like the ride, but I'm having a problem with the tongue bunching across my metatarsals. Anybody have this problem and or a fix?

Nice work, Willis. I also did the Fondo and it was great.

Saw each Pilot View climb on Monday as a friend 2 houses away had a party. Great time. A few riders even accepted beers on their final climb when they knew they were out of the money group. Very cool.

For a cycling fan, race weekend in W-S is really tough to beat.

but I'm having a problem with the tongue bunching across my metatarsals. Anybody have this problem and or a fix?

I thought I'd heard of everything, but that's a new one for me. Make sure your laces aren't twisted? I wouldn't think tightening / loosening would change the bunching.

Maybe try socks with a different texture?

Back