• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

well I guess thank you for confirming that I did not work hard enough.

I didn't mean to insinuate that necessarily. I don't really have much of a concept of my 800m pace, so I just ball out for 200m. I'm sure you still probably benefited from your run today. You might not feel as tired because of the total distance of the workout. What did you do in between effort intervals?

I didn't mean to insinuate that necessarily. I don't really have much of a concept of my 800m pace, so I just ball out for 200m. I'm sure you still probably benefited from your run today. You might not feel as tired because of the total distance of the workout. What did you do in between effort intervals?

I was kidding - since I said that I felt like succeeding at my goal pace meant I had not aimed high enough. But yeah it hardly seemed like a beneficial workout at all, being only 1600m of decent running. I'm really going to have to convince my brain that it's okay to not run for hours on hours, and probably also run longer on the weekends than the plan suggests when I have time. Per the plan, I jogged (well a little walking for a few of them) 200m between the faster intervals.

Other note - it's sort of tough to share a track with people who are doing different workouts. Weaving in and out of the inside lane and whatnot. And there were less than 10 others out there this morning... sometimes there are dozens in the afternoons especially if Fleet Feet shows up.

I was kidding - since I said that I felt like succeeding at my goal pace meant I had not aimed high enough. But yeah it hardly seemed like a beneficial workout at all, being only 1600m of decent running. I'm really going to have to convince my brain that it's okay to not run for hours on hours, and probably also run longer on the weekends than the plan suggests when I have time. Per the plan, I jogged (well a little walking for a few of them) 200m between the faster intervals.

Other note - it's sort of tough to share a track with people who are doing different workouts. Weaving in and out of the inside lane and whatnot. And there were less than 10 others out there this morning... sometimes there are dozens in the afternoons especially if Fleet Feet shows up.

Try your best to focus more on quality of miles than quantity. You will seriously get better benefits. Wake's track is wide open right now in the mornings especially since exams ended.

Need advice/suggestions for buying new running shoes. Getting back into it after a long time off.

I heel strike and I also pronate a little more than average. As far as workload, I'll start out slower but ideally once in shape I will be doing 4-8 miles five times a week before too long, adding more miles or workouts if I really get back in form.

Last running shoes I had was the Brooks Ravenna 2. I've been looking at the Brooks Ravenna again, Brooks Adrenaline, Asics 1000, Asics 2170, and the Nike Structure.

I'm really interested to hear any opinions on the Nikes. I really liked the Ravennas and I look for a decent amount of cushioning and support, but they are a little bulkier and I'd be interested in a lighter, faster shoe as long as it didn't sacrifice support enough that it would cause problems/injuries.

Go to a place that does gait analysis and have them suggest shoes for you.

One of those days where you just feel great and wanna keep going. Like I couldn't run fast or far enough. Super rare, why we run type run. Word.

One of those days where you just feel great and wanna keep going. Like I couldn't run fast or far enough. Super rare, why we run type run. Word.

I feel you. I had one of those yesterday, but I had taken an adderall that morning so that probably explains it.

Go to a place that does gait analysis and have them suggest shoes for you.

I've done that before. I went through a couple pairs of Brooks Infinitis, did it again after they discontinued those and that's how I got to Ravennas. I was trying to avoid having to make an extra trip somewhere.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has had particularly bad experiences with any of those shoes (because I'm pretty sure they're all pretty solid) and if anyone has recommendations or can tell me more about those nikes or nikes in general. I've always looked at Asics and Brooks and have been wary about Nike for trainers, but would like a faster shoe

Pounded out my new favorite running work out today: 800, 4 x 400, 800. Hard work, felt great.

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Boston. Meb. America.

This morning, per Hal Higdon's advanced 5k plan, I did 8 x 200 at 800m pace (can't imagine 20x200 as was mentioned earlier in this thread!!). I set my goal pace too generously apparently, and was able to make every interval successfully. So I'm weirdly disappointed in myself for somehow not working hard enough? Guess my next batch of 200s will need to be faster.

My goal (which will sound super easy to many of you) was 50 seconds and I ran 47, 47, 46, 45, 46, 45, 45, 46. Guess I'll go with 45 second goal next time.

The only clue I had for 800m speed was Ultimate Runners. My 800 race splits over the past years have been 3:18, 3:12, 3:13. That corresponds to 200s in 49.5, 47.9, 48.25. So I guess 50 was too easy, but when I was at the track 2 weeks ago I couldn't even get under 3:30 for 800, so I didn't want to make my goal too fast. Guess 200m at 800m pace is way easier than 800m at 800m pace though!

Although it depends on the workout goal, there is nothing wrong with not feeling dead if you established splits based on your current race pace. Many 200 and short interval workouts improve turnover and strength more than endurance.

My birthday was earlier this week, so I took the day off and went out to Crowder's Mountain. Ended up a combination of running and fast hiking, but I finished off 18 miles of fun. Pretty sure it was more effort than a road marathon...makes me realize how far I have to go before I take on a trail ultra at any sort of appreciable pace. Tough terrain makes a big difference.

Woof - finished two miles in 14:56 today. Came out too strong (7:00/mile) on the first mile and gained a minute on the second mile. Oh well, not my best effort, but not as bad as I expected considering I've been on vacation and sick the last two weeks.

Tried out the mountain bike/XC trails at Salem Lake today for the first time. Great run. I just realized they existed a few months ago. Really fun. Anyone else ever veer off the main path there?

Did anyone else do the NCRC half-mara yesterday in Umstead Park in Raleigh? I did it for the first time (I had done the 10k before). It is a good race - not too big or crowded and most of it is on the nice, shaded trails in Umstead. The trails don't lend themselves to having much fan support along the way so it is a quiet race... If you like for the cheering crowd to help urge you on there is not very much of that.
It is a pretty tough race, quite a few hills. Overall it was a great day - beautiful weather and my fastest time of the year - still a lot slower than I was running 2 years ago but maybe I am starting to gain on it...

Oh, and they had to change the route because of some trail flooding so we had to finish up a very steep 1/4 mile climb - not ideal.

Tried out the mountain bike/XC trails at Salem Lake today for the first time. Great run. I just realized they existed a few months ago. Really fun. Anyone else ever veer off the main path there?

Used to do that before leaving Winston in 2006; always enjoyed the change in scenery from the loop around the lake.

Those of you who run first thing: do you eat something before and if so, what?

Back