• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Has anyone dealt with pretty intense pain on the top of their foot? It's the tendon that runs from my big toe to my ankle. Flexing my toe up hurts like hell, and it's really difficult, almost like my toe is tired/weak. When I'm actually running it's not a problem, it's pretty much just immediately afterwards. After a couple days of not running it's then fine. I've tried switching out shoes, I'm only wearing flats to work (no heels)... and I can't figure out what the deal is.

this has helped me

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

Morning runs are way easier when you're on the west coast, but your brain is on east coast time.

5:30 run, hell yeah.

Ran a 1:46 at a half marathon in Hickory this morning. About a minute off a PR but it was a hilly ass course. Looking forward to the Scream in July!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

i mean, you went from a 12 mm drop shoe to a 4-5mm drop shoe.

I don't doubt you had a bad experience in trying to switch, but .... it's going to be an adjustment. to each their own, though. they're not for everyone.

just watched the last mile

he ran a 58 the last 400 of the race

just an enormous swinging dick

running a couple seconds faster than my mile PR for a full 10K

unreal, these guys

i mean, you went from a 12 mm drop shoe to a 4-5mm drop shoe.

I don't doubt you had a bad experience in trying to switch, but .... it's going to be an adjustment. to each their own, though. they're not for everyone.

I recently switched to a 4mm drop and have liked it, but it comes with some new aches and pains. You need to swap in your old shoes sometimes to ease the adjustment. I switched within the same brand, so I guess that has made it fairly seamless, but who knows.

Despite wanting less drop, I don't like Newtons. The lugs just feel harsh to me, even in their baseline Sir Isaac. A lot of people love them, but personal preference goes a long way with shoes.

just watched the last mile

he ran a 58 the last 400 of the race

just an enormous swinging dick

63.9 through 400
2:08 through 800
2:40 through 1,000
4:18 through Mile
8:03 through 3,000-meters
10:45 through 4,000-meters
13:26 through 5,000-meters
16:07 through 6,000-meters
19:22 through 7,200-meters
21:32 through 8,000-meters
25:15 through 9,000-meters
26:44.36 through the finish line

63.9 through 400

That last kilometer kick is just insane.

Had a discouraging workout this morning. 6x400m and I didn't get anywhere near the splits I thought I should. I've been doing some 200s the past few weeks so 400m felt really long. Need to work on my pacing!

There was an older guy out there timing his wife. As I was on my final cooldown he asked me if I'd been doing quarters, which is a term I haven't personally used before so it took me a moment to realize that I was indeed. We chatted for a while and he told me about his wife, who is 78, and apparently holds a lot of grandmasters records in various distances (though I'm looking up records on the USATF site and either I remembered her name wrong or she has since lost the records). He was naming times that I doubt I'll ever even sniff, and qualifying with "ah but she was only 56 then!" amazing. He said they know the 91 year old lady from Charlotte who just ran the 7:07 marathon last weekend. (article)

Anyway he also told me at least 5 times that Ultimate Runner couldn't be a better event for getting injured. And yeah I've seen some people go down with bad hammys especially in the 100m. But thanks for the vote of confidence, old fella!

63.9 through 400

That last kilometer kick is just insane.

The 9000 meter split was misreported initially. It should be 24:15 through 9k. Otherwise that's a 1000m record. But still, 2:29 is a pretty good kick.

Happy National Running Day, kids. Special shoutout to wakephan09 who I'm sure LOVES that "National Running Day" exists.

Happy National Running Day, kids. Special shoutout to wakephan09 who I'm sure LOVES that "National Running Day" exists.

Never heard of it!

Good catch on that 9k split -- I'm no math expert, but there was no way a human was running sub-1:30 for the 1000. Especially after 9k. Incredible race by Rupp though.

Never heard of it!

Good catch on that 9k split -- I'm no math expert, but there was no way a human was running sub-1:30 for the 1000. Especially after 9k. Incredible race by Rupp though.

There's no way Galen Rupp runs a 3:43 from 8-9k, either. Still unbelievable.

http://fittish.deadspin.com/running-coach-fired-for-running-boston-marathon-1585122341
Running Coach Fired For Running Boston Marathon

On Wednesday, April 23, Matt Aguero was terminated as the head track and cross country coach of St. Gregory's University in Shawnee, Okla. Unless you keep abreast of internal developments within NAIA sports, you probably missed the news. But hear me out now, because what happened to Aguero will be a familiar story to anyone who's ever sat across from a stone-faced middle manager and felt he was staring into the abyss.

Matt Aguero was fired because he ran this year's Boston Marathon.

"Your personal competitiveness can take away the energy and commitment to a program," athletic director Dr. Jeff Potter said while firing his coach, who'd been with the school for a little more than two years. Aguero recorded the conversation, because, as he put it later, "I thought it was jut a weird, strange firing, so I wanted to try and document everything the best I could."

Back