• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

What's the verdict on this InkNBurn shirt? Is it too #3WolfMoon?
daryqy3y.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

to wear running? nope nope nope

I like some InkNBurn stuff but am not a particular fan of that shirt. I got some shorts there for Ultimate Runner last year, because for some reason I felt like I needed a good outfit for that race? I don't know. Looked at buying another pair of their shorts last week but couldn't justify $65 shorts again.

So far I think it's the ultra community where these are popping up

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Star Wars one is pretty badass but I think that's only for women.

noooooooot a fan of that shirt... but i'm not hip to the ultra scene, so what do i know. i would say that yes, it's very '3 wolf moon'-esque... and i know 3 wolf moon.

DeacHawk, to answer your question from the CT about Ultimate, I really enjoyed it. I went in without training specifically for the event (I finished a 5k cycle about 3 weeks before, took a week off completely, and had 2 weeks of marathon training underfoot). I think that took a lot of pressure off, and helped make the event more enjoyable. Now that I have baseline for those distances within this context, I expect to never have the same experience unfortunately.

In all the events, I just tried to stay within myself and avoid injury. Felt good through the mile, was only a little dissatisfied with my 400 (that was my first real experience of specialized runners), felt strongest in the 800 (which I think was my best event relative to the field), and the 100m was just bizarre. I think my 100m time was better than I initially thought at the finish line, but it just seemed like 3 steps off the line, the race was all but decided.

I was not prepared for how agonizing the 5k was. Between the trail surfaces, the dozen gnats I ate, the pitch black sections through the woods and under the bridge, and the general fatigue from the track events, I was toast about a mile in.

Overall, I had a lot of fun, and will likely do it again. Watching that dude smoke the field in the 400m was the best part of the day. Especially when everyone from the infield recovering from their mile, just immediately got up and rushed to the home stretch after he took off.

DeacHawk, to answer your question from the CT about Ultimate, I really enjoyed it. I went in without training specifically for the event (I finished a 5k cycle about 3 weeks before, took a week off completely, and had 2 weeks of marathon training underfoot). I think that took a lot of pressure off, and helped make the event more enjoyable. Now that I have baseline for those distances within this context, I expect to never have the same experience unfortunately.

In all the events, I just tried to stay within myself and avoid injury. Felt good through the mile, was only a little dissatisfied with my 400 (that was my first real experience of specialized runners), felt strongest in the 800 (which I think was my best event relative to the field), and the 100m was just bizarre. I think my 100m time was better than I initially thought at the finish line, but it just seemed like 3 steps off the line, the race was all but decided.

I was not prepared for how agonizing the 5k was. Between the trail surfaces, the dozen gnats I ate, the pitch black sections through the woods and under the bridge, and the general fatigue from the track events, I was toast about a mile in.

Overall, I had a lot of fun, and will likely do it again. Watching that dude smoke the field in the 400m was the best part of the day. Especially when everyone from the infield recovering from their mile, just immediately got up and rushed to the home stretch after he took off.

Thanks for the recap. Glad it went well out there. Agreed on the bizarre feelings about the 100 meters. The gun goes off and all of a sudden you're done. My first year the 5K went similar to how you described it, was just toast throughout. I found that fueling a bit with Gu or something similar after the 100 meters helped keep my energy up last year.

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Rupp. 10K. Fast.

Thanks for the recap. Glad it went well out there. Agreed on the bizarre feelings about the 100 meters. The gun goes off and all of a sudden you're done. My first year the 5K went similar to how you described it, was just toast throughout. I found that fueling a bit with Gu or something similar after the 100 meters helped keep my energy up last year.

Yea. I popped a gel before the 800 and I think that made a big difference there. I had an extra that I should have taken but I overthought it. My fuel plan was not exactly ideal all day.

That being said, I outperformed my seed by about 4 spots, so I'll take it. I beat RTQ by 4 points, so that's what really matters.

Yea. I popped a gel before the 800 and I think that made a big difference there. I had an extra that I should have taken but I overthought it. My fuel plan was not exactly ideal all day.

Not enough carbs in the gnats?

Congrats to everyone who did UR!

You guys got a nice break with the weather on Saturday. Last year it was in the low 90s, and in 2012 the temps were around 100. The 5K at the end is always a #struggle, but the 400 gives me the most trouble because I always manage to get boxed in.

I meant to bring a gel from home but forgot. I do remember it seeming helpful last year when I had one before the 5k, but at the same time it just seems absurd to need a gel for a 5k (same way it's absurd to see someone wearing headphones in an 800m race)... even though it had probably been almost 8 hours since I'd eaten last. It's understandable when looked at in the overall context but when just considering a 5k it seems like overkill. I got through the race sipping about half a bottle of Gatorade, so I did have a few calories.

I was pretty pleased with my UR. Had event PRs for all but the 100m and the low turnout in my age bracket allowed me to win W20-29. Never thought I'd get one of those award mugs!

DF07 finished 1 spot (4 points) ahead of me. So close.

the low turnout in my age bracket allowed me to win W20-29.

Be proud of your result! Don't diminish it like that. Don't be pretty pleased, be happy! Despite the "low turnout," you PRed almost everything.

On my ride in to work this morning, I saw this chick from a distance absolutely BOOKING it down the path. I mean, for an early-morning run, she was killing it- flying past other joggers like they were standing still. A little closer in, I saw she was just wearing a jog bra and tiny shorts and thought 'hmm... a little much, but that's cool - obviously she can move' (yes I was judging just a little), then I noticed her abs looked like a dang ice cube tray and thought 'well, shit - she can wear whatever she wants.' Saw her stride/form and everything and it was just awesome...

...and then I realized it was Shalane Flanagan.

On my ride in to work this morning, I saw this chick from a distance absolutely BOOKING it down the path. I mean, for an early-morning run, she was killing it- flying past other joggers like they were standing still. A little closer in, I saw she was just wearing a jog bra and tiny shorts and thought 'hmm... a little much, but that's cool - obviously she can move' (yes I was judging just a little), then I noticed her abs looked like a dang ice cube tray and thought 'well, shit - she can wear whatever she wants.' Saw her stride/form and everything and it was just awesome...

Lol you mean girled an American hero. Time to reevaluate your life, leebus. #queenhater

That's pretty much all I wear May-Sept. Too hot in Charlotte. Although I do the super short running shorts instead of the the spandex ones. Whether I should be wearing so little is immaterial because I'm most comfortable like that. I tried longer ones today and I liked them until they got soaked and were all gross around my legs. If I don't die, I'm happy. Did run with a friend recently and her size 2 Lulu booty shorts were too big around the thighs. Too big! She might be the smallest person in the world. But she ran a 2:36 at Chicago, so she can do whatever she wants.

That's pretty much all I wear May-Sept. Too hot in Charlotte. Although I do the super short running shorts instead of the the spandex ones. Whether I should be wearing so little is immaterial because I'm most comfortable like that. I tried longer ones today and I liked them until they got soaked and were all gross around my legs. If I don't die, I'm happy. Did run with a friend recently and her size 2 Lulu booty shorts were too big around the thighs. Too big! She might be the smallest person in the world. But she ran a 2:36 at Chicago, so she can do whatever she wants.

oh yeah, definitely makes sense and i lose my shirt on a regular basis in the summer because it's hot and i'm not about to make myself uncomfortable for the sake of someone else's idea of modesty - but this was a 60* portland morning :)

oh yeah, definitely makes sense and i lose my shirt on a regular basis in the summer because it's hot and i'm not about to make myself uncomfortable for the sake of someone else's idea of modesty - but this was a 60* portland morning :)

60-65 in the morning is usually my tipping point to lose the shirt. I used to be self conscious about it as a big hairy guy, but now I don't even think about it. Unless I'm racing or something, I don't even think about putting a shirt on in the summer. I catch enough sweat with just shorts, socks and shoes.

Back