• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

First race since my injury at the marathon last year is on Thanksgiving. Just a five miler. Excited! I'd love to break 35.

Take it easy for a couple of days. Did you hit your knee at all? If not, you seriously lucked out!

When I fell and hurt my knee last year, I thought I was feeling better and went for an "easy" run. Near the end, I looked down and saw I was running a 12:00 mile. I got mad and started running hard, which made my knee really hurt. I limped to the end, finished my run under 12:00 and could barely walk for the next few days.

Nah, I scraped my knee a little bit, but no injury really. I was definitely pretty lucky, as of course I was at literally the furthest point from my house when I fell and it was 5:30 AM.

Great race.

Get into town early. Traffic and parking are annoying with the half and 8K also going on.

Thanks. Smartest move I made was spending the money to stay at the Marriott downtown. Went downstairs and got a cup of coffee, back to my room to get ready, and then walked out the front door to the start line. So much nicer than having to build in time for driving and parking.

It was pretty cold and there was a decent headwind on the Lee Bridge. I had not driven the course and was not prepared for the bridge so it messed with me mentally. Not my best performance, but a good race that I would recommend.

http://www.knucklelights.com/

Love these things and their customer support is awesome!

Have you had problems with battery life? I love my knucklelights, but have been less than impressed with their battery life.

I actually contacted customer support about it and was sent a new set. They said they found that some were not turning off completely and draining the battery when they weren't in use. I was given another pair, but they still seem to be burning through batteries. I just had one set die after a (generous) estimate of 15 hours of use.

Have you had problems with battery life? I love my knucklelights, but have been less than impressed with their battery life.

I actually contacted customer support about it and was sent a new set. They said they found that some were not turning off completely and draining the battery when they weren't in use. I was given another pair, but they still seem to be burning through batteries. I just had one set die after a (generous) estimate of 15 hours of use.

Just checked their web-site and found this:

Under normal use (an hour so per day) high quality Alkaline batteries will typically last 20-25 hours on HIGH POWER before you start to see a fade in the lights. You will get much longer burn times on the LOW and BLINKING settings.

I tend to use mine on blinking, so it seems like I should be getting more life out of them.

Just checked their web-site and found this:

Under normal use (an hour so per day) high quality Alkaline batteries will typically last 20-25 hours on HIGH POWER before you start to see a fade in the lights. You will get much longer burn times on the LOW and BLINKING settings.

I tend to use mine on blinking, so it seems like I should be getting more life out of them.

I love mine, but I experience the same problem. I probably just need to get some rechargeable batteries as I use them very regularly.

My Knucklelights go through batteries pretty quickly too. I usually only carry one, and the one I carried most also corroded/rusted from sweat inside the battery spot, which was lame. Mine only have on and off settings, no high/low/blink.

I always use low on mine as they're bright enough like that. They lasted me all winter last year.

Since I moved my runs to the morning, I'm using them less frequently. It's dark when I leave, but the sun is starting to rise, so I risk it. I might use them more in the upcoming weeks.

Make sure you take the batteries out for the summer if you aren't using them. Mine corroded when I wasn't using them, but the company apologized and replaced them at no cost.

My Knucklelights go through batteries pretty quickly too. I usually only carry one, and the one I carried most also corroded/rusted from sweat inside the battery spot, which was lame. Mine only have on and off settings, no high/low/blink.

The corrosion happened because they draw power from the batteries while they're off. They recommend you remove the batteries if they won't be used for a while.

Turkey strutted in the rain this morning, beat my time last year by 3+ minutes. I'll take it -- the last mile up Northwest to First is killer.

Eta -- wow, just checked and it was almost right at 4 minutes quicker.

Last edited:
Bam - new 5k PR in the Gobbler by nearly a minute :)59). New course was good, but lots of hills and the weather sucked... Cold and rainy.

Turkey strutted in the rain this morning, beat my time last year by 3+ minutes. I'll take it -- the last mile up Northwest to First is killer.

Eta -- wow, just checked and it was almost right at 4 minutes quicker.

I ran it too. Minute off PR; dismal weather and race for me. Had a great run going until the last hill you mentioned.

Beats last Thanksgiving when I was just weeks out of a sling from shoulder surgery.

HOLY SHIT. There is a Beer Mile World Championship. And they are holding it blocks from my house. The fuck!? This is MY home track. Wow.

Holy shit I wish I was in shape. The opportunity to race Nick Symmonds and Scott Macpherson (again) would be AWESOME. Too bad I can't chug beers worth a shit.

http://www.flotrack.org/beermileworlds/

did 7 in "31, feels like 16" today - sustained winds of 15-20, gusts to 35.
it kind of sucked.

had a new pain experience; excruciating pain on the outside/in my knee - but only as i went downhill. uphill was fine, flat was fine... but downhill. eff. I actually turned around on one long descent so I could alter my route to avoid more long descents, and was practically in tears as I did so. No noticeable swelling now, no pain to the touch, nothing... it was really weird. I rolled out my legs really well w/ special attention to my IT band, but that was not fun and I'm not sure what the deal is. Hasn't been an issue on any run to this point, or in cycling, but it is the same knee I really jacked during a cyclocross race a month ago and I'm nervous. I don't think I need an MRI or anything, but I don't know how else to figure out what might be up. It was like a 9/10 on the pain scale, and I have a pretty high tolerance.

Sounds like IT band to me. Downhills cause the most pain for me, and it's definitely about a 9 on the pain scale. I always dismissed it when my friends talked about their IT band injuries, but it's some of the worst pain I've ever felt

I would LOVE to hear that it's "just" an IT band issue and not something torn. Thanks for your feedback!

yeah when my ITBS was at its worse, I thought that amputation sans anesthesia would have felt better. I hope it's nothing worse for you.

when your IT band was giving you fits, was it really painful to roll out? I was surprised at how not-painful (relative to the pain while running) rolling out felt, given what I was expecting.

Did 8 yesterday and it was tough. Going to need to get my shit together if I'm gonna crush the Austin Marathon in February.

RTQ, how long did it take for your IT band issue to go away? I haven't run in six weeks (I had to walk the last 10 miles at Chicago since it hurt so badly).I'm doing a ton of yoga/swimming in the meantime and it's killing me not being able to run.

Lbe, the only thing that aggravates mine is running, so it doesn't hurt much at all when I foam roll. I have a laundry list of stretches and foam rolls I have to do every day, and when I visited my doctor a few weeks ago he used Graston which was incredibly painful.

Back