• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Had my last long taper run this morning for next week's marathon. I've been pleased with my running over the last two months and believe I am ready. In fact, last week, I did a 15 mile run, felt relaxed and didn't push things at all, which led to a big surprise when I got done and found my average pace was about 20 seconds faster per mile than my regular pace on the long runs. Of course, later that day I started to feel sick and by Monday had a pretty good cold. Luckily, my work was closed all week so spent the first half of the week being lazy and in bed. I'm over it, but this week's run was a lot more of a struggle, never really felt comfortable and ended up cutting out two miles to do only 10. Just didn't feel I had my energy. Hopefully that passes in the coming week.

Anyways, eight days until marathon #2.

In a weak moment a couple of months ago I signed up for the Raleigh Half-Iron (70.3) next May 31... I am in panic mode about the swim but have made a lot of progress over the past 6 weeks (FYI - I have never done a race requiring a swim of more than 300 yards). I also had an injury and couldn't run at all in Oct.-Nov. so am just starting to work back up. I have also never been one to ride my bike in the winter so that is going to take some getting used to - and some new gear. All in all, it should be interesting.

On a related note, I am planning to use the 20 week beginner triathlon plan for a half-iron on the site that cna posted. The plan officially starts 1/12. I think their expectations for beginning the plan are pretty aggressive - but we shall see. Wish me luck!

Spin classes are a nice substitute for outdoor cycling in the cold months. I did a spring int'l distance tri a few years ago and probably only rode outside 4-5 times leading up. The rest of the cycling was all spin classes.

In a weak moment a couple of months ago I signed up for the Raleigh Half-Iron (70.3) next May 31... I am in panic mode about the swim but have made a lot of progress over the past 6 weeks (FYI - I have never done a race requiring a swim of more than 300 yards). I also had an injury and couldn't run at all in Oct.-Nov. so am just starting to work back up. I have also never been one to ride my bike in the winter so that is going to take some getting used to - and some new gear. All in all, it should be interesting.

On a related note, I am planning to use the 20 week beginner triathlon plan for a half-iron on the site that cna posted. The plan officially starts 1/12. I think their expectations for beginning the plan are pretty aggressive - but we shall see. Wish me luck!

LOL, I did the same thing last year and ended up surviving, barely. I learned a lot and then ramped up my training a notch and did Beach 2 Battleship this past Oct and reduced my time considerably. Tentatively planning the B2B full this fall.

YO LEEBUS (and others), with my new job, I have tons of convenient pool access, and one of my coworkers (also a training buddy) is into triathlons. So, I plan to work in some cycling and swimming (along with weight training) this spring trying to build up a solid cross training base before I start training for the Dopey Challenge in the fall. Do you have any resources or recommendations as far as developing a weekly schedule to avoid injury? I have found that I am much more successful in accomplishing goals by sticking to an established plan I can trust. FWIW, I have never received any real swim instruction, so my first steps there will be working to actually learn how to swim for efficient exercise. I don't think I will compete in anything but running until 2016. Just looking to lay down a good foundation in 2015.

I forget- how much cross training does Hal Higdon build into his run training plans? As far as recs for developing a weekly schedule, if your focus this year is still the run I think you can build a lot of good triathlon base by consistently swimming and cycling as your cross-training for running. If you look at only a triathlon-based plan for this year, I'd fear your run would not improve or build like you want it to, since a tri plan is going to focus on all three kind of equally.

As for learning to swim - how body-aware are you? Can you watch something and actually apply it to what you are doing in terms of form? if yes, there are lots of good video resources out there (I'll come back and link when I have more time) - but then it's on you to make things happen and trust you're doing it correctly (enough). If you do better with instruction, it might be worth the avoidance of injury to find someone in the area that can either do a couple of coached sessions or even a stroke analysis (which would then fall back to you to implement). My biggest advice in all of that would be to learn as much as you can, but then FOCUS on one or to things at a time to actually work on; otherwise you'll be all over the place.

Good luck! I'm happy to help however I can.

Also, my two cents on spin classes: they're awesome, especially in the winter... but do make a point to get out on the road every couple of weeks or so. Your position and actual riding can be pretty different between the two, and in a 56mi ride that leads to a half marathon, those differences matter.

Had my last long taper run this morning for next week's marathon. I've been pleased with my running over the last two months and believe I am ready. In fact, last week, I did a 15 mile run, felt relaxed and didn't push things at all, which led to a big surprise when I got done and found my average pace was about 20 seconds faster per mile than my regular pace on the long runs. Of course, later that day I started to feel sick and by Monday had a pretty good cold. Luckily, my work was closed all week so spent the first half of the week being lazy and in bed. I'm over it, but this week's run was a lot more of a struggle, never really felt comfortable and ended up cutting out two miles to do only 10. Just didn't feel I had my energy. Hopefully that passes in the coming week.

Anyways, eight days until marathon #2.

Are you running the marathon in Warner Robbins? That sounds like a great event, if so, I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it. Good luck!!

About to go on a 2 am 9 mile run. I've been fighting some cold and throat thing for the last couple days and my internal clock is all fucked up. I'm weird.

Update: Feeling better post run then before. Hopefully I sweated this mung out of my body. Also glad I ran now, as the temperature is suppose to drop from 45 down to the low 30's this afternoon. Probably gonna hit up the gym this evening to compensate for missing my short run yesterday. Been a while since I did a #twoaday.

Supposed to do a 60 minute run tomorrow and the low tonight is like 12 or 14 or something - with wind... Ugh! I really don't look forward to spending an hour on the treadmill but that is what I am looking at...

Supposed to do a 60 minute run tomorrow and the low tonight is like 12 or 14 or something - with wind... Ugh! I really don't look forward to spending an hour on the treadmill but that is what I am looking at...

Man up. Go outside. Get some foot warmers and bundle up!

I really like running in the cold since re-locating. Just need more gear like Yaktrax. Already did a run uphill in snowshoes and about puked.

I really like running in the cold since re-locating. Just need more gear like Yaktrax. Already did a run uphill in snowshoes and about puked.

I refuse to buy Yaktrax until it snows here. Part of me feels that if I buy them, it'll snow. I have enough cold weather gear, but not snow gear.

Man up. Go outside. Get some foot warmers and bundle up!

I don't mind running when it is cold - I am OK down to 20-25. But when we are talking about the teens with a wind chill even significantly colder... I don't think so. That just ain't fun. I'm too old for that ish.

You know, when you live in NC and it's super cold or snowy a handful of days a year, it's okay to take a day off now and then and do some elliptical or treadmill or rowing machine indoors. No one's handing out any medals for the fact that you ran outside on the day that it was snowy. :)

You know, when you live in NC and it's super cold or snowy a handful of days a year, it's okay to take a day off now and then and do some elliptical or treadmill or rowing machine indoors. No one's handing out any medals for the fact that you ran outside on the day that it was snowy. :)

I'm my biggest critic. Also, we get points with the corporate fitness program.

Where I am it is supposed to be 3 degrees with the windchill at 6am tomorrow when I normally go out to run. So I say here and now fuck all that, I'm sleeping in tomorrow. I can accept however much slower that kind of missed day will make me.

Where I am it is supposed to be 3 degrees with the windchill at 6am tomorrow when I normally go out to run. So I say here and now fuck all that, I'm sleeping in tomorrow. I can accept however much slower that kind of missed day will make me.

I made the exact same announcement after my run today. I'm not a professional runner, so if the weather is crap I don't run. I will stepper and yoga instead.

I'm leaning on not running. 0 degree wind chill is insane and it's just a recovery run and maybe i'll drink some wine tonight instead.

Back