• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

If temps are near or below freezing, I'm out. I ran a 5K with RTQ where it was around 25 degrees and I thought someone was stabbing me in my lungs.

If temps are near or below freezing, I'm out. I ran a 5K with RTQ where it was around 25 degrees and I thought someone was stabbing me in my lungs.

Waht? That's not even that cold. At 16 degrees, my toes got a little cold.

I wouldn't do a Brasky 2AM 9 miler at 16 degrees, but a 30-45 minute run would be fine.

I'm leaning on not running. 0 degree wind chill is insane and it's just a recovery run and maybe i'll drink some wine tonight instead.

I'll probably hit the cycle trainer up tomorrow after work instead. Have some new bike shoes coming tomorrow to test out anyway.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself, "what am I doing this for?" You will probably not die any sooner as a result of the fact you took one day off from running when it was 9 degrees outside. In fact, shit man, you might actually be causing yourself more harm than benefit. Again, if you feel guilty about it, do something inside -- jump rope, use a machine, do a bunch of push ups, etc.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself, "what am I doing this for?" You will probably not die any sooner as a result of the fact you took one day off from running when it was 9 degrees outside. In fact, shit man, you might actually be causing yourself more harm than benefit. Again, if you feel guilty about it, do something inside -- jump rope, use a machine, do a bunch of push ups, etc.

PHTNhDH.gif

I wouldn't do a Brasky 2AM 9 miler at 16 degrees, but a 30-45 minute run would be fine.

You're crazy bro. 25 degrees is cold as fuck. At least for me. It's why I moved to Texas.

haha yeah that was pretty great running weather for me, I think that I ran a PR that day.

I'm running from the blerch.

H2AMuVZ.png

haha yeah that was pretty great running weather for me, I think that I ran a PR that day.

STOP GIVING BRASKY EXCUSES.

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Winter is Cold

Bym I'm a runner, I have an endless amount of excuses.

Just wondering whether anyone here has ever run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in Washington, D.C. The race has a lottery entry, and after many failed attempts to gain entry, I was accepted this year. I would love to read any comments about the race.

I will be 61 on race day, and am currently getting 25-30 miles per week. I don't think I'll have any trouble amping up to 10 miles by race day (April 12), but I'll see! Any training tips for an old guy??

^ never ran it but have heard great things about it. My only advice would be to ramp up the mileage slowly and progressively. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: ITK
Just wondering whether anyone here has ever run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in Washington, D.C. The race has a lottery entry, and after many failed attempts to gain entry, I was accepted this year. I would love to read any comments about the race.

I will be 61 on race day, and am currently getting 25-30 miles per week. I don't think I'll have any trouble amping up to 10 miles by race day (April 12), but I'll see! Any training tips for an old guy??

I've run it a few times, it is a really nice race with good support and pretty flat and fast (elevation chart - note the comment about exaggerating the elevation). Very big though, so make sure you are in the proper corral so you're not stuck among slower runners (or in someone else's way). Last year I missed my corral's start due to a portapotty line, and spent most of the race weaving around. Have fun!

Went out for a run this evening in 22/feels like 6 degrees. This is one of those 2-5 times per year where I wish I had some sort of thermal running tights or something. I only have one pair of long running pants and my quads and butt always end up painfully cold and numb. I guess once I layered some capris under the long pants, but that's bulky. There are a lot of comments above about not running when it's this cold (especially in NC where it doesn't happen too often and skipping a day wouldn't derail training), but if you do run, what do you wear? It's easy to layer tops but not bottoms.

Went out for a run this evening in 22/feels like 6 degrees. This is one of those 2-5 times per year where I wish I had some sort of thermal running tights or something. I only have one pair of long running pants and my quads and butt always end up painfully cold and numb. I guess once I layered some capris under the long pants, but that's bulky. There are a lot of comments above about not running when it's this cold (especially in NC where it doesn't happen too often and skipping a day wouldn't derail training), but if you do run, what do you wear? It's easy to layer tops but not bottoms.

Shorts over tights for me.

Super cold I go running pants over long johns or over running tights. Usually 25 degrees and under

Full disclosure, my legs are usually the warmest part of my body. I get coldest hands, ears, toes, cocknballs, face, core, arms, legs.

Back