• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

So sorry to hear it. I've nearly been hit twice, but luckily avoided both. Take a day... you deserve it.

Posted on the CT, but I knocked out the 5 mile Krispy Kreme Challenge today in 33:51, which is a PR for me (and consequently I have been fucking wiped out the rest of the day). I skipped the donuts this year (suck it, El Chupe), so I ended up running the back half with the ridiculous track star/competitive eaters who actually won the challenge, which was awesome because the crowd was all cheering for me and shit and getting into it and ROARING with approval and I was thinking at the end they were going to hoist me up on shoulders and parade me around like I'd won the Super Bowl. This is the closest I will ever get to actually legitimately winning a race, so I enjoyed it.

Also, El Chupe should suck it.

Finally manned up and did a medium long run with a tempo today. Only four miles but averaged over 10 seconds a mile faster than I was hoping and my warm up and cool down were faster than planned as well. Good day to have a good day. Hopefully this will help me motivate to stop being such a baby and just do some workouts.

1:49:53 in the Austin half, goal was under 1:50 bc my left knee and right quad are all jacked up. And I drank like 8 bears at my kwukout last night. I'll take it.

Any of you pit swimmers ever done any work with a snorkel? Worth dropping $20 to focus on other elements of swimming?

Finally manned up and did a medium long run with a tempo today. Only four miles but averaged over 10 seconds a mile faster than I was hoping and my warm up and cool down were faster than planned as well. Good day to have a good day. Hopefully this will help me motivate to stop being such a baby and just do some workouts.

Great run, you are gonna rock Cooper River!

Just get a kick board and some flippers. That's all us summer league competitive swimmers ever needed.

good stuff Jersey. Good days are a big motivator.

1:49:53 in the Austin half, goal was under 1:50 bc my left knee and right quad are all jacked up. And I drank like 8 bears at my kwukout last night. I'll take it.

Nice racing out there Brasky

Any of you pit swimmers ever done any work with a snorkel? Worth dropping $20 to focus on other elements of swimming?

no, because in a pool you stop and reset at the wall every length anyway (assuming you're not doing flip turns, which is 100% fine).
if you don't have access to a kickboard, you're better off investing in one of those (you can also squeeze it like a sharkfin between your thighs to function as a pull buoy in a pinch).

nice work, brasky - way to hydrate w/ beers.

Pervy Leebs is BACK.

i knew as soon as i wrote it that you'd be all over that. eat your heart out, say hey.

had a lovely 8.5 miler today in the beautiful 64* sunshine. love love love.
my achilles has been kind of flaring up lately, though - i think it's partially stemming from a knot in my calf, so i roll that out really well, but does anyone else have a good stretch/exercise for it? it never bothers me as i'm actually running, just gets kind of angry with my once i stop.

i knew as soon as i wrote it that you'd be all over that. eat your heart out, say hey.

my achilles has been kind of flaring up lately, though - i think it's partially stemming from a knot in my calf, so i roll that out really well, but does anyone else have a good stretch/exercise for it? it never bothers me as i'm actually running, just gets kind of angry with my once i stop.

Great Achilles exercise:

When I started running, I had a friend who is an Athletic Trainer tell me to make sure to do two stretches for the calf/lower leg. The first is the traditional calf stretch where you prop your foot at a 45-degree angle against a wall/curb/whatever, with the knee locked and hold it for 30-40 seconds. A lot of people do this stretch, but most don't know this stretches only the upper calf. The second stretch is to then bend the knee, which moves the stretch from the upper calf to the lower calf and achilles area. She said it is important to do this as well to keep that area loose. I do it after every run and have never had any problems. (knocking on wood now)

When I started running, I had a friend who is an Athletic Trainer tell me to make sure to do two stretches for the calf/lower leg. The first is the traditional calf stretch where you prop your foot at a 45-degree angle against a wall/curb/whatever, with the knee locked and hold it for 30-40 seconds. A lot of people do this stretch, but most don't know this stretches only the upper calf. The second stretch is to then bend the knee, which moves the stretch from the upper calf to the lower calf and achilles area. She said it is important to do this as well to keep that area loose. I do it after every run and have never had any problems. (knocking on wood now)

I've been bothered by what I assume to be some tendonitis in my lower right calf, to the outside of my achilles. Maybe peroneal tendonitis? It's gotten me in the middle of runs a couple of times recently.

yeah, i do this (both the normal and the bend) - i'm gonna give the BBD exercise a shot and see if that helps it out.

Back