• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

i could actually pull this off as well but i'd probably have to leave my laptop etc. at home. there are also isolated T-storms from 6-8am.

its about 5 miles to my office and there is a shower, but i have to bring my laptop with me to work so I'm not sure if i'll be able to work it out.

just finished Once A Runner. good stuff.

although it made me feel super slow, I can understand some of the feelings in there.

I TOLD YOU. One of my all-time favorite books.

Now, read the final racing scene before every race. You will feel like a god.

ran to work. was fine except for the rope bag on my back... not used to running with one and hated it. oh well, it wasn't far.

oh, and going up the hill from lower west end to 4th street as the very first thing you do = not fun.

post # 4321 :willynilly:

ran to work. was fine except for the rope bag on my back... not used to running with one and hated it. oh well, it wasn't far.

oh, and going up the hill from lower west end to 4th street as the very first thing you do = not fun.

post # 4321 :willynilly:

i also ran to work. ended up using an old SPI belt for my phone, keys, and credit card/ID. it bounced like crazy. if i do this again, i think i'll just opt to spend the day without the phone. other than that, and the fact that it was 70 degrees and humid at 7:00 IN FEBRUARY, it was a great way to start the day. i got to sleep in since i didn't have to have time for both a commute and run. it was kind of great.

but i made one of my managers promise me that no matter what i said this afternoon, he would not give me a ride home. i want to be forced into running home, but i have a feeling when energy is low mid-afternoon, i'm going to lose motivation for it.

Ran the 2 into work and then ran another 3 at the Y after dropping my bag. I ran in with a small backpack with my shoes and clothes and it wasn't too bad once all of the straps were cinched down and compressed.

For anyone looking for another good book, I just finished IronWar. It was really good. It could have been condensed a bit, but overall a great read.

i also ran to work. ended up using an old SPI belt for my phone, keys, and credit card/ID. it bounced like crazy. if i do this again, i think i'll just opt to spend the day without the phone. other than that, and the fact that it was 70 degrees and humid at 7:00 IN FEBRUARY, it was a great way to start the day. i got to sleep in since i didn't have to have time for both a commute and run. it was kind of great.

but i made one of my managers promise me that no matter what i said this afternoon, he would not give me a ride home. i want to be forced into running home, but i have a feeling when energy is low mid-afternoon, i'm going to lose motivation for it.

yeah i feel like i'm going to be so disappointed come 4pm when all of a sudden i don't have a car.

oh well, it's mostly downhill on the way back i think.

ha, my feelings of regret are creeping in. i wish i didn't have to run home now...

when i said this to my manager, i did throw in one small caveat. "unless it's storming." but the forecast called for the storms to stop by 4, so i didn't think it'd be an issue. now it's been pushed back to 8. i may be getting a ride home after all...

Awesome weather this morning for the Crystal Coast Half-Marathon in Morehead City/Atlantic Beach...except for the 30 mph headwinds. Runners were being thrown all over the bridge and it was a serious hit to my time. Other than that, it was in the 50s and Sunny and the course wasn't too bad. Even though I didn't PR, I felt that it was one of the strongest races I have ever run. I think that I would rather deal with hills than an unrelenting headwind for half of a race.

congrats Mike, way to overcome those winds, sucks when everything but the weather works out

RTQ, how was the Frank Shorter thing? My friend texted me a pic this morning of her and Bart Yasso, I think she even got to run with him yesterday or this morning.

Awesome weather this morning for the Crystal Coast Half-Marathon in Morehead City/Atlantic Beach...except for the 30 mph headwinds. Runners were being thrown all over the bridge and it was a serious hit to my time. Other than that, it was in the 50s and Sunny and the course wasn't too bad. Even though I didn't PR, I felt that it was one of the strongest races I have ever run. I think that I would rather deal with hills than an unrelenting headwind for half of a race.

Congrats! That's a rough bridge without the winds. Glad you felt strong!

RTQ, how was the Frank Shorter thing? My friend texted me a pic this morning of her and Bart Yasso, I think she even got to run with him yesterday or this morning.

It wasn't Frank Shorter. But the Bart Yasso thing was fun! I got a photo with him as well, and ran with him at Fleet Feet in the morning. West End Deac and DeacHawk were also at the seminar to hear Yasso - he has a lot of great stories, was funny and nice.

Hell yeah! Finished my 20 miler strong yesterday. Hurt like hell for about 2 hours afterward, but woke up this morning feeling great. Looking forward to the taper now.

My VFF's are just about done, so I'm in the market for new shoes before the marathon in a few weeks. Looking at either another pair of VFF's or a pair of the new NB Minimus Zeroes. My feet are still my weakest link, but after yesterday, I'm pretty confident I'm going to finish 26.2 in barefoot style shoes, and hopefully under 4 hours. I'll be happy as hell if I can pull it off.

Last edited:
Hell yeah! Finished my 20 miler strong yesterday. Hurt like hell for about 2 hours afterward, but work up this morning feeling great. Looking forward to the taper now.

My VFF's are just about done, so I'm in the market for new shoes before the marathon in a few weeks. Looking at either another pair of VFF's or a pair of the new NB Minimus Zeroes. My feet are still my weakest link, but after yesterday, I'm pretty confident I'm going to finish 26.2 in barefoot style shoes, and hopefully under 4 hours. I'll be happy as hell if I can pull it off.

Nice, that would be quite impressive. Which VFF's were you using?

Nice, that would be quite impressive. Which VFF's were you using?

Bikilas. Have about 800 miles on them. There's still some rubber left under the ball of my foot. I can probably even stretch them out to 1000 on pavement before they form a hole in the bottom, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have a little extra protection for the actual race and retire these to indoor running duty at the Y.

Back