• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

For the Charlotte runners, it looks like NoDa Brewery is trying to start up a running group like the one at P-Stone.

For the Charlotte runners, it looks like NoDa Brewery is trying to start up a running group like the one at P-Stone.

i saw that, and couldn't really figure out WHY. i'm all about having runs from bars, but why did they start their own running club? why not talk to one or both of the two main existing running clubs and have them start to plan a weekly run? (for example, the p-stone run is hosted by p-stone, but is actually a charlotte runners meetup run. the group just coordinates with the bar)

They could be hoping that they can pull enough folks from Highland Mill Apts or the Johnston Y to get the critical mass they need, combined with the occasional visitors.

i saw that, and couldn't really figure out WHY. i'm all about having runs from bars, but why did they start their own running club? why not talk to one or both of the two main existing running clubs and have them start to plan a weekly run? (for example, the p-stone run is hosted by p-stone, but is actually a charlotte runners meetup run. the group just coordinates with the bar)

It's not really a "club" so much as just some people who want to run together. As I understand it, there are already quite a few runners who hang out (or work) there who sat around and said "hey, we should all run together and then grab a beer." I'm definitely planning on participating since it's a few blocks from my house. I don't see the need to be associated with any particular run club. If a bunch of people want to get together and run, good on them. It's being organized by an employee for what it's worth. I've been helping him a bit with the routes since he doesn't know the area as well.

Run out the back of the brewery across the railyard for an inspired sprint through Tryon Meadows and Tryon Hills. Defy death on the 30th St Bridge on the way back.

It's not really a "club" so much as just some people who want to run together. As I understand it, there are already quite a few runners who hang out (or work) there who sat around and said "hey, we should all run together and then grab a beer." I'm definitely planning on participating since it's a few blocks from my house. I don't see the need to be associated with any particular run club. If a bunch of people want to get together and run, good on them. It's being organized by an employee for what it's worth. I've been helping him a bit with the routes since he doesn't know the area as well.

my mistake then. it just seemed otherwise when they created a facebook page and called themselves a "run club."

my mistake then. it just seemed otherwise when they created a facebook page and called themselves a "run club."

Well, sure, I guess that's what they named it. But it's not an official organization like those other clubs are. There's no LLC being setup. It's an organic gathering of runners who all happen to hang out and drink beer at the same place. And I'm sure the owners hope it's an event that will draw more people out and help to promote their brand. Very loosely organized as far as I can tell. There's no attempt to start a 3rd competing "run club" with membership, etc. There are plenty of "run clubs" at various offices, churches, etc around the city.

Last edited:
Run out the back of the brewery across the railyard for an inspired sprint through Tryon Meadows and Tryon Hills. Defy death on the 30th St Bridge on the way back.

The current 5 mile loop goes up to Sugar Creek and runs along it for a few tenths...as soon as I saw that, I knew he would need some help.

So there's suppose to be some streaming opening ceremony, followed by the announcement of the lottery winners for the NYC Marathon starting at Noon. And of course the website is down.

Bush league.

EDIT: And of course it starts working seconds after I typed that

Last edited:
Well, sure, I guess that's what they named it. But it's not an official organization like those other clubs are. There's no LLC being setup. It's an organic gathering of runners who all happen to hang out and drink beer at the same place. And I'm sure the owners hope it's an event that will draw more people out and help to promote their brand. Very loosely organized as far as I can tell. There's no attempt to start a 3rd competing "run club" with membership, etc. There are plenty of "run clubs" at various offices, churches, etc around the city.

but this right here is why i don't understand why they're trying to do it themselves instead of just asking either CRC or the meet up group to do it. if you ask both of those two groups, you instantly have over 600 runners who know about it. seems to me to be way less trouble than trying to do it yourself.

but this right here is why i don't understand why they're trying to do it themselves instead of just asking either CRC or the meet up group to do it. if you ask both of those two groups, you instantly have over 600 runners who know about it. seems to me to be way less trouble than trying to do it yourself.

For all I know, they may not know those groups exist. Or maybe they asked and those groups said "we already have enough group runs." Or maybe it just started as a conversation over beer and developed into something slightly more organized...that's my expectation. In two days there are already 93 people on their Facebook page, so getting the word out doesn't seem the problem. There's not some conspiracy to thumb their nose at the existing organized running culture of Charlotte. Some people decided they wanted to run together and they started a facebook page to invite others.

How is your 10k training going? What is your plan for getting there by June 23? On first thought, I would think it would be a bad idea if you're going to max out your 10k training at ~6 miles then try to do 13 just 3 weeks later. If you're comfortable with the 10k distance or a little beyond, though, check out this training plan, which has a 10k 3 weeks before the half marathon: Higdon Half Marathon Novice 1.

My gut says you'd want to wait until closer to the race to see how your training is going, but then you could risk The Scream selling out. The biggest risk of injury is running too far, too fast, too soon... there will be more half marathons. You don't want to overdo it now.

For all I know, they may not know those groups exist. Or maybe they asked and those groups said "we already have enough group runs." Or maybe it just started as a conversation over beer and developed into something slightly more organized...that's my expectation. In two days there are already 93 people on their Facebook page, so getting the word out doesn't seem the problem. There's not some conspiracy to thumb their nose at the existing organized running culture of Charlotte. Some people decided they wanted to run together and they started a facebook page to invite others.

just for the record, i never said that they're thumbing their nose at anybody. i just don't get why they are doing it the way they're doing it. it doesn't make any sense to me, but i don't consider it to be offensive. just illogical.

Last edited:
How is your 10k training going? What is your plan for getting there by June 23? On first thought, I would think it would be a bad idea if you're going to max out your 10k training at ~6 miles then try to do 13 just 3 weeks later. If you're comfortable with the 10k distance or a little beyond, though, check out this training plan, which has a 10k 3 weeks before the half marathon: Higdon Half Marathon Novice 1.

My gut says you'd want to wait until closer to the race to see how your training is going, but then you could risk The Scream selling out. The biggest risk of injury is running too far, too fast, too soon... there will be more half marathons. You don't want to overdo it now.

That's what I figured. I am doing an ease into 10k program which alternates run/walk intervals over 9-10 weeks to build up to a 60 min run interval. I might shoot for a half next year. I really have no full marathon aspirations at this time.

Well I haven't received an email, nor has my credit card been charged, so I assume I didn't get selected. Which means I only get to run 26+ miles once this fall.

#firstworldproblems

That's what I figured. I am doing an ease into 10k program which alternates run/walk intervals over 9-10 weeks to build up to a 60 min run interval. I might shoot for a half next year. I really have no full marathon aspirations at this time.

A month ago neither did I. Then I ran my first half and now I'm all in.

Well I haven't received an email, nor has my credit card been charged, so I assume I didn't get selected. Which means I only get to run 26+ miles once this fall.

#firstworldproblems

OR it means you will choose another one :thumbsup:

portland marathon has gummi bear stations.

awesome.

...i guess this is a normal thing? i know i read about one on RTQ's race report, but do lots of places do this?

Back