• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

just for the record, i never said that they're thumbing their nose at anybody. i just don't get why they are doing it the way they're doing it. it doesn't make any sense to me, but i don't consider it to be offensive. just illogical.

Not to get into the debate, but while I've been doing P-Stone for awhile now, it's starting to get too big. I mean, the winter scares people off, but as soon as this warm weather hit, we've had big time numbers. I like the route and the people I run with, but it's probably not a bad thing to have options, especially if it's not on Thursday.

i've never heard of a gummy bear station, but one race (grandma's, maybe?) has a bacon station :)

Not to get into the debate, but while I've been doing P-Stone for awhile now, it's starting to get too big. I mean, the winter scares people off, but as soon as this warm weather hit, we've had big time numbers. I like the route and the people I run with, but it's probably not a bad thing to have options, especially if it's not on Thursday.

how many people go these days? i haven't been in almost a year (i never really did like the p-stone route), but back in the days of the common market route, it was usually 70+ people. that's why it got moved in the first place (common market just couldn't handle the crowds). is it even bigger than that now?

eta: also, what i'm calling illogical isn't that they're adding a new run. i think a new run is a fantastic idea, and i know TONS of people who love the run+beer routes. i just think it'd make more sense to ask the meetup group to put it on their schedule, so that the word gets out more efficiently.

how many people go these days? i haven't been in almost a year (i never really did like the p-stone route), but back in the days of the common market route, it was usually 70+ people. that's why it got moved in the first place (common market just couldn't handle the crowds). is it even bigger than that now?

I think I estimated 100 last maybe August some time. I think it was one of the weeks before Savannah or something, and people came out. P-Stone has been cool, but with that many people they're still a little bad with getting enough water cups and having the beer in that part of the bar cold on Thursdays.

with regards to water/aid stations- the beverage they'll be serving is ultima. should i buy this and train with it (if it goes well) so i can use it on race day, or should i just use/stick with water and get electrolytes w/ my clif blocs? do you guys normally use whatever 'beverage' they serve or carry your own?

ahhhhh 6 months is not going to be enough time to mentally prepare for this.

with regards to water/aid stations- the beverage they'll be serving is ultima. should i buy this and train with it (if it goes well) so i can use it on race day, or should i just use/stick with water and get electrolytes w/ my clif blocs? do you guys normally use whatever 'beverage' they serve or carry your own?

i've only done races with powerade or gatorade. if it was something goofy like cytomax or ultima i'd probably throw it into training in case i want it on race day. i'd probably also plan to just get electrolytes myself but want to be sure i could handle it if need be

yeahhh, ultima is organic or something stupid (yeahhhh portland), so that's what we get.

portland marathon has gummi bear stations.

awesome.

...i guess this is a normal thing? i know i read about one on RTQ's race report, but do lots of places do this?

yesss gummy bears! but no, not normal. normal is water. normal+ is water and electrolyte drink (well these are normal for half-full marathon). anything beyond I consider a surprise/bonus.

I'd say give it a try and see if you like it. I didn't try the Gu Brew that the Blue Ridge Marathon served because I was a little concerned. I drank Cytomax with no issues during the Rock & Roll races I ran, though I didn't care for the taste. I had one sip of HEED at a trail race in January and nearly threw up right there on the spot. like DeacHawk says, I'd suggest carrying what you need and supplementing (as a gamble or something practiced) with the provided aid station stuff - of course if you know you like the provided stuff then you can count on the beverage. Personally I'd never count on being provided gels, regardless of how much they say they will have.

yeah, they say only gummi bears, water, and "orangy orange ultimax" (available at Whole Foods). I'll give teh ultimax a try...

For people that have done these "group run then gather for a beer at a bar afterward" things - what about the sweat and general post-run funk? I am typically soaking wet after a run and no one wants to be around me until I have showered... I am not very good at taking 'easy' runs - is that what folks do? Just do the run as a easy, casual thing so they are not soaking wet and exhausted afterward?

For people that have done these "group run then gather for a beer at a bar afterward" things - what about the sweat and general post-run funk? I am typically soaking wet after a run and no one wants to be around me until I have showered... I am not very good at taking 'easy' runs - is that what folks do? Just do the run as a easy, casual thing so they are not soaking wet and exhausted afterward?

At 260 pounds (-10 lbs since 4/1), easy runs do not exist.

eh, everybody smells bad. nobody is judging anybody else for it :)

It may have been mentioned, but who has ear bid recommendations? I really like the Sonys that I have, because the cord is short, but they don't stay in my ears when I sweat.

TWToy got me a sweet Wake running singlet made. It's professionally done and super badass. I'll post pics later.

PS. Don't tell Wake's intellectual property office.

the store i work at got an early shipment of Kinvara's 3 today. they are badass. i wore them around for a bit and felt great despite being a size bigger than what i wear (i have tiny little size 8s) i called Saucony and tried to order a pair in my size from the store's account but they said they couldnt do any fill orders until after the official release date so i was kind of bummed, but i will be getting a pair as soon as i can

the store i work at got an early shipment of Kinvara's 3 today. they are badass. i wore them around for a bit and felt great despite being a size bigger than what i wear (i have tiny little size 8s) i called Saucony and tried to order a pair in my size from the store's account but they said they couldnt do any fill orders until after the official release date so i was kind of bummed, but i will be getting a pair as soon as i can

Damn! I was set on getting a pair of pure flows in the next few days. Guess I'm waiting until May 11(I saw this as the release date somewhere.)

nz372a.jpg

That's a nice top. I hate all my running WF gear because the Nike stuff doesn't fit right and my under armor is really heavy but i love repping the Deacs during races so I need some new stuff

That's a nice top. I hate all my running WF gear because the Nike stuff doesn't fit right and my under armor is really heavy but i love repping the Deacs during races so I need some new stuff

Yeah, if I had a choice, it would have been more singletish than sleeveless, but beggars can't be choosers. It's very well done.

Back