• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

no offense to TW, i'm sure he had a reason for it being necessary, but 10x2 sounds awful. unless it's blazing hot outside and you need to loop back by water that frequently, i can't imagine that it's possibly preferable to 2x10.

I would also hate that.

What do you guys do about water on longer runs? I always carry, because I am paranoid about dehydrating.

10x 2 mile loops sounds awful. I prefer big loops (or one really big loop) for longer runs. Salem Lake is a good one, sometimes for long runs I'll lollipop it and run out and back to the lake with a loop around. Or just drive there and 2-3 loops around.

My shorter distances I have a 5 mile out and back and 4 & 6 mile loops that are my go-tos.

Some routes have water fountains, which is my favorite, and/or I'll carry a bottle. I have an Amphipod handheld that I quite like.

how many ounces is the amphipod you carry? just curious. i have a 20oz camelbak one that i like.

how many ounces is the amphipod you carry? just curious. i have a 20oz camelbak one that i like.

Not sure. I have a belt, and carry two smaller bottles. I drink both through 6 miles, so I might add a third if I keep adding distance.

I would also hate that.

What do you guys do about water on longer runs? I always carry, because I am paranoid about dehydrating.

I'm a water fiend and I hate wanting water and not having it, so I'll carry it on anything longer than 6 or 7 miles.

20oz for me too.

I have a belt with 4x 8oz but I must not be shaped properly because it was never comfortable to wear. always so much bouncing around.

Also, heat/humidity really impact my 5K times. Last year I PRed in April with a 21:30 when the weather was nice and cool, then in May I went to a 21:50 and 22:01 by the end of May, and I was in better shape for the last 2. This year I had my best 5K time in 2012 in a 5K that was held at night and the weather had cooled off considerably. Not looking forward to starting the Summer Breeze 5K at 8 AM with a projected high around 92.

no offense to TW, i'm sure he had a reason for it being necessary, but 10x2 sounds awful. unless it's blazing hot outside and you need to loop back by water that frequently, i can't imagine that it's possibly preferable to 2x10.

Cincinnati is a pretty terrible city to run in. There is rarely accessible water anywhere so it was nice to have water every 2 miles.

I don't get bored easily though, so 10x2 wasn't bad at all.

20oz for me too.

I have a belt with 4x 8oz but I must not be shaped properly because it was never comfortable to wear. always so much bouncing around.

belts are notoriously bad for women because our natural waist is higher than where we want to wear the belt, which means it's going to bounce unless you cinch it up around your high waist (like where you'd belt a dress). men have better luck w/ belts because they taper the full way down to their pants line (theoretically). ....men are upside-down triangles w/ arms and legs, women are hour glasses.

Some routes have water fountains, which is my favorite, and/or I'll carry a bottle. I have an Amphipod handheld that I quite like.

Do you have one with a pocket on the hand thing? I've never heard of them but just googled it and saw the one with the pocket. I always have to find a place to stick my keys so that would be cool. I don't really run long enough distances to really need water yet (as long as it isn't 90 out) but I'm hoping that I will someday!

Do you have one with a pocket on the hand thing? I've never heard of them but just googled it and saw the one with the pocket. I always have to find a place to stick my keys so that would be cool. I don't really run long enough distances to really need water yet (as long as it isn't 90 out) but I'm hoping that I will someday!

you totes willlllllllllll

yes, and the pocket is often convenient. I usually put my house key in the little pocket inside my shorts, but some of my shorts don't fit my big fat car key, so when I've driven somewhere to run, the bottle's pocket is a plus. Or I can put a couple gels in there for long runs.

Anyone sign up for the Savannah half in November? Any details on the course?

I just literally sweated 2lbs in 4 miles. Did a pre and post run weigh. Some of that could have been the duct tape pulling off the top layer of my nips though.

Our group runs from the Dilworth Charlotte Running Company every Thursday night. This evening one of the employees ran with us in a full bear costume, with pink Karhus on. Keep in mind the temperature was probably still somewhere in the 90s. I ran next to him just for the entertainment value. You could see cars driving by and then slowing to a crawl as the drivers tried to digest what they just saw. Lots of people took pictures with their camera phones and we passed a group heading to prom that wanted him to stop and take pictures with them.

How did he not die? I have worn my fair share of costumes in summer at camp, and it's incredibly miserable.

Back