• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Olympics - where we're all on the same side

avalon

Antwan Scott
Reaction score
I had no idea where to put this, so I'm starting my own thread. Feel free to add any random Olympic-ness.

The IOC made the US women's hockey goalie remove an image of the Constitution from her mask.

vet1-2.jpg

Jessie Vetter’s Olympic goalie mask has U.S. Constitution removed by IOC

The IOC’s Rule 51 bans any sort of advertising, demonstration, and/or propaganda on an athlete's equipment at the Olympics. American men’s hockey goalies were hit with the regulation in the 2010 Vancouver Games, as Jonathan Quick’s “support our troops” slogan and Ryan Miller’s “Matt Man,” a tribute to his late cousin who died of leukemia, were stripped from the mask designs.

It seems trite, but this rule was enforced last time. The basic reason is about advertising.

BKF will probably wear a Soviet hoodie during the month of February.

Sucks for us, but I'm thinking about what folks from other countries could come up with under a relaxed rule.

I was wrong about us all being on the same side, it seems.

It's about being realistic. I'm really surprised he tried it after what happened in Vancouver.

Unfortunately, if he was allowed to do it, this would spiral out of control.

Those are established rules so it's understandable even if I think it's pretty innocuous.

What is more debatable is the wisdom of sending a contingent of homosexuals to represent the US. I understand that our relationship with Russia is in the toilet, so there's a part of me that doesn't give a fuck. Putin can eat a big back of homosexual dicks. But there's a bigger part of me that thinks sport is sport. You don't kill athletes like in 1972, and you don't make some unnecessary stink.

Those are established rules so it's understandable even if I think it's pretty innocuous.

What is more debatable is the wisdom of sending a contingent of homosexuals to represent the US. I understand that our relationship with Russia is in the toilet, so there's a part of me that doesn't give a fuck. Putin can eat a big back of homosexual dicks. But there's a bigger part of me that thinks sport is sport. You don't kill athletes like in 1972, and you don't make some unnecessary stink.

Why are you so scarred of gay people?

So you're equating sending gays to the Olympics with slaughtering athletes? Nice.

people who think the Olympics are just about sport are stupid. grow up

The US shouldn't be rooting out homosexuals among our athletes. That's ridiculous. If you are talking about the political delegation, so what?

The stage is set for some Jesse Owens moments that our gay athletes will likely take advantage of.

It's about being realistic. I'm really surprised he tried it after what happened in Vancouver.

Unfortunately, if he was allowed to do it, this would spiral out of control.

This is the Olympics, RJ, where blind patriotism trumps all else. And our American HERO is being told she can’t have the Constitution on her mask. You have a few weeks before the Olympics start, clean up your act.

But what then keeps another person from wearing a political statement that is offensive to millions?

If we are stripping the Constitution then let's just strip the damned flags while we are at it. One represents the other.

But what then keeps another person from wearing a political statement that is offensive to millions?

pretty sure the american flag is offensive to millions

also, fuck the millions. you can't handle the USA? leave it all out on the luge run, motherfuckers

Last edited:
Back