• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Olympics - where we're all on the same side

Winter Olympics 2014, Sochi, essentially a war zone
World Cup 2014, Brazil, don't go off the beaten path
Summer Olympics 2016, Brazil, don't go off the beaten path
World Cup 2018, Russia, lots of possible Sochis
World Cup 2022, Qatar, the Middle East in the summer

WTF are these people thinking?

Bribery is an olympic sport, no wait ... it's a FIFA institution.

Vladimir Putin Proudly Opens Sochi Olympic Prison

“It is with great pride and joy that I open the crown jewel of the Sochi Games, the Sochi Olympic Prison,” Putin said before a crowd of government officials and state media. “It is the greatest, most terrible prison in the history of the Olympics.”

Putin, shirtless, then rode atop a horse back and forth in front of the entrance to the prison, firing a rifle wildly into the air.

Protest in press room not podium, says IOC

"It is very clear the Games cannot be used as a stage for political demonstrations however good the cause may be," Bach told a media conference call on Monday.

"The IOC will take, if necessary, individual decisions based on individual cases. It is also clear on the other hand the athletes enjoy freedom of speech so if in a press conference they wanted to make a political statement they are absolutely free to do so."

Asked whether he was urging athletes to make their point at news conferences rather than the medals podium, Bach said: "If you are drawing this conclusion I would not say anything against it".

Edit to add bold.

Last edited:
I mean, the alternative is draconian and would probably lead to legitimate political displays during the events.

Bach slams politicians over Sochi Olympics

The Olympics, Bach said, should not be ''used as a stage for political dissent or for trying to score points in internal or external political contests.''

''Have the courage to address your disagreements in a peaceful direct political dialogue and not on the backs of the athletes,'' he said at a ceremony attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin. ''People have a very good understanding of what it really means to single out the Olympic Games to make an ostentatious gesture which allegedly costs nothing but produces international headlines.

''In the extreme, we had to see a few politicians whose contributions to the fight for a good cause consisted of publicly declining invitations they had not even received.''

Bach acknowledged there had been ''a lot of skepticism in and outside the IOC'' when Sochi was awarded the Olympics in 2007.

''Now, seven years later, we can see that Sochi, that Russia has delivered,'' he said.

^^ That last part seems kind of weird to include since all the press currently coming out of Sochi is about hotel rooms missing door handles, light bulbs, running water, streets without manhole covers, etc.

that's because it's all about politics and saving face. fuck russia.

'Merica

bigstockphoto_American_Eagle_239566.jpg

^^ That last part seems kind of weird to include since all the press currently coming out of Sochi is about hotel rooms missing door handles, light bulbs, running water, streets without manhole covers, etc.

He means that Russia has delivered all the bribes that were promised.

Religion is nothing more than an excuse for oppression, and Syria is finally figuring that out. Keep saying your prayers you plebes. Your Allah will definitely save you from their Allah.

If your entire existence revolves around some mythical incestuous pedophile and his decrees, then I'm not sure your existence on this planet is that important.

Last edited:
Did I miss any Brasky speaking in self-righteous absolutes? I hope not!

Hey man I'm just spreading the gospel of my deity:

true-detective-matthew-mcconaughey-300x279.jpg

And I'm glad that you found another beleaguered minority group who's dick you could suck. It's what keeps ya going!

I found it troubling that last night Matt Lauer was trying to get up on his pedestal and tell us that we all need to remember what these games are supposed to be about and not focus on problems that might mar them. Yeah, well fuck that, I'm not letting some arbitrary sporting event that was given to Russia in a corrupt decision (although good for their economy) overshadow the fact that the country continues to violate people's basic human rights on a large scale.

Hey man I'm just spreading the gospel of my deity:

true-detective-matthew-mcconaughey-300x279.jpg

And I'm glad that you found another beleaguered minority group who's dick you could suck. It's what keeps ya going!

Like 80% of the world would identify as religious. That's one hell of a minority.

Back