• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Olympics - where we're all on the same side

The point about the Olympics and national anthems is good although the IOC doesn't include the words.

IOC made our last goalie remove "Land of the free, home of the brave" from his helmet.

Clear double standard.

IOC made our last goalie remove "Land of the free, home of the brave" from his helmet.

Clear double standard.

Just didn't want to make the commies jealous.

"Putin also added that Russia was more liberal than some other countries, claiming that in certain US states homosexuality was still punishable by law.

"We are not forbidding anything and nobody is being grabbed off the street, and there is no punishment for such kinds of relations," said Putin. "You can feel relaxed and calm [in Russia], but leave children alone please," said Putin."

You all are so reactionary. It's quite funny at times. Mention anything gay at all, and it's like instant defensive mode. The OP was about the gal not being able to wear the Constitution on her head. It's a violation of the IOC code or whatever. OK, fine. IMO, who you send on the official US delegation is a much bigger deal and our esteemed President thinks it's a good idea to poke a thumb in Putin's eye over a domestic policy involving the promulgation of "gay propaganda" to send such luminaries as Billie Jean King and Brian freaking Boitano due to their open and well-established gayness. It's just so obviously a second term lame duck move.

Let's get to the larger point. When should the Olympics be about making a political stink? When should you do anything other than send your team? We sent our team in '36, didn't we? We didn't in '80 and the Russians reciprocated in '84. In retrospect, it took a lot away from those Olympiads. We don't have the satisfaction of beating the Russians in LA or Moscow in anything. The idea to me that AQ or some clowns want to make a splash at this Olympics appalls me. Much like the '72 Olympics, and to a lesser extent the Atlanta Olympics, you gotta save that shit for another time. The Olympics to me is the celebration of sport throughout the world. It has political undertones like it did during the Cold War when it was us against the Russians and the entire Eastern Bloc, but it was still the celebration of sport. Sport should be apolitical. You don't make statements like the black power guys in Mexico City. You simply play and try to win.

"Putin also added that Russia was more liberal than some other countries, claiming that in certain US states homosexuality was still punishable by law.

"We are not forbidding anything and nobody is being grabbed off the street, and there is no punishment for such kinds of relations," said Putin. "You can feel relaxed and calm [in Russia], but leave children alone please," said Putin."

I thought this part of his comments was crazier:

Earlier this week, Putin said the Games would be held "without discrimination on any grounds". But he added on Friday that Russia was a traditional country, and refused to accept European values on sexual orientation, claiming that some countries were even discussing the legalisation of paedophilia. He declined to specify which countries, saying it was easy to find out about such things on the internet.

Link

they have the internet in russia? and why is Putin looking up countries with legal pedophilia?

That Vlad, he knows how to get the attention of the Western media, and how to troll these boards.

it's because the IOC is corrupt and hates america

If American TV networks ever stopped paying to broadcast the Olympics, the IOC would have a short fucking life span.

The USOC has already stopped bidding to host the games because the IOC is such a shit show. Sochi will be a clusterfuck at best and Munich at worst. Fuck the IOC.

ELC: you realize you've contradicted yourself with talking about sports being apolitical then citing the 36 delegation and castigating Smith and Carlos in 68. Sports, especially the Olympics are inherently political. Or maybe you've missed some of the nationalist disagreements in the stands at your average soccer game.

If American TV networks ever stopped paying to broadcast the Olympics, the IOC would have a short fucking life span.

The USOC has already stopped bidding to host the games because the IOC is such a shit show. Sochi will be a clusterfuck at best and Munich at worst. Fuck the IOC.

When Rio got picked over Chicago for the Summer 2016 games I was dumbstruck. I have no ties to Chicago, but in Rio athletes could be kidnapped right out of the damn Olympic Village. Rio makes Sochi look like Fort Knox. Such a blatantly corrupt choice of venue.

To be fair, the modern age of IOC bribing and corruption DID start with the USOC bidding for the Salt Lake City Olympics

That Vlad, he knows how to get the attention of the Western media, and how to troll these boards.

Let's get a direct answer......do you think gays try to prey on children\ like Putin is saying?

I mean, I want the U.S. to get picked as an Olympics site because it would be cool, and I have no doubt that there's all sorts of corrupt wheeling and dealing still taking place in the selection process, but being upset because they're making an effort to pick BRIC countries and expand global sport to Asia in particular isn't exactly an understanding viewpoint when it comes to the economics involved.

whoa whoa whoa...now sports about politics AND money?? forget it...just forget it all

Winter Olympics 2014, Sochi, essentially a war zone
World Cup 2014, Brazil, don't go off the beaten path
Summer Olympics 2016, Brazil, don't go off the beaten path
World Cup 2018, Russia, lots of possible Sochis
World Cup 2022, Qatar, the Middle East in the summer

WTF are these people thinking?

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure ONW is being facetious, but anyhow

between 2008 and 2018, 6 of the 8 major world sporting events take place in BRICS countries save for the UK (world's no. 6 economy) and Japan (world's no. 3)

these things are strategic. the U.S. is all in on the Olympics no matter what hemisphere because everyone makes a boatload of money.

Back