• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Yeah, bringing the form to work and expecting donations from co-workers is lame and pointless.

I think I just live in a weirdo neighborhood. Kids are running around together all the time to each others' houses and after we moved here a year ago, one way I started to get to know the neighbors and their kids was from them going door-to-door.

I get both sides of the argument, but if done correctly, which is on the parents, I think it's a useful exercise.

in what might be the ultimate millennial parenting move, when we had to sell boxes of reese's cups for baseball each year, my parents would just buy the whole box so they wouldnt have to deal with hitting up friends/neighbors or shepherding me around the neighborhood

11029513_10100387772677313_6026168518351088337_n.jpg

Almost 6 months old.

awesome! so cute

Generally, I have read that unless you're maxing out your own retirement accounts not to open a 529.

Yeah most of the benefits of a 529 plan have been eroded, and the market fluctuations of course make it somewhat risky (especially with our retirements already mostly in the market). Our conclusion was to re-fi our mortgage into (at the time) a 15-year mortgage using the extra money that we would have been saving for college to cover the increased payment, so that our house is paid off before the kids start college. The savings on the mortgage interest via the shorter loan outweigh the advantages of the 529 because we're starting with the higher mortgage balance than the minimal 529 contribution balance, and with no house payment we'll pay for college out of then-current earnings. And if they don't go to traditional college then we aren't locked in with the 529 restrictions and have no house payment. A few months ago we then re-fi'd it down to 10 years at an even lower rate, which will give a us a few years with both no house payment and no tuition payment to sock away that straight cash homey if it looks like they'll need more for tuition.

Boy asked where our girl dog's pee comes out of. I let Wife handle that one.

My 3 year old pronounces "adult" as "dolt." He's probably on to something.

Has anyone had a baby that gets carsick? Squirrel got real sick driving from WS to Burlington. I'm hoping it was a fluke but HTTDmom said she thinks that's around the time that her kids started getting carsick.

Everything I see on the Internet says to get them to look out the front of the car and focus on the horizon but he'll be rear facing for a while so that's out.

Our daughter gets motion sick if she has an empty stomach. Any chance that could be a factor?

Our daughter gets motion sick if she has an empty stomach. Any chance that could be a factor?

He had nursed recently but otherwise only had a few Cheerios so mAybe that was an issue. Next drive I'll have to try some animal crackers.

We also just got a new car seat that I think makes him see out differently but not Michu can do about that!

My brother always had that issue. Homeopathic remedy (cocculus) always helped him, but my mom is kind of a hippie, so that may not be your style.

My brother always had that issue. Homeopathic remedy (cocculus) always helped him, but my mom is kind of a hippie, so that may not be your style.

How does she use it? Looks like Hyland's has a motion sickness med that includes it.

How does she use it? Looks like Hyland's has a motion sickness med that includes it.

She would give him or he would take tablets before he got in the car for a trip of any distance. Kind of an "as needed" similar to their teething tablets.

Back