• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

little man got officially diagnosed with asthma after spending night in hospital for observation.

Any board parents got kids w asthma? they had a class at the hospital which was very helpful.

I had asthma and my son went to the ER twice in a two week span a couple of years ago. He was not officially diagnosed with asthma, but reactive airway disease. We think it was allergy triggered. He has not had an attack since then, but when he is sick and during allergy season we give him flovent and occasionally albuterol

Yeah, my son's seems triggered by getting a virus/normal cold. They didn't diagnose him until yesterday. Kinda feels good to finally get a diagnosis and feel better equipped to manage it.

Yeah, my son's seems triggered by getting a virus/normal cold. They didn't diagnose him until yesterday. Kinda feels good to finally get a diagnosis and feel better equipped to manage it.

I have it. I wasn't diagnosed until college but we are confident I had it my entire life. I will say it makes you more susceptible to lung issues when they are sick. I get a good bit of bronchitis when I have sinus infections.

My 16 month old is the Rod, but only for a moment, then he just goes in and starts saying "car-car" a lot.

His vocabulary:

Car-car
Dog-dog
Dad-dad
ball-ball
coat
all done (opens hands upside-down)
bye bye (waves hands to random people leaving restaurants or just leaving the room)

not news to anyone with or without a kid im sure but I'm proud as hell so Im posting it :) he also does the sign-language thing pointing to his hand for "more" #daycarekid

I'm probably a little behind the curve on making the switch, but I'm thinking of changing from a PPO to HDHP with HSA to cover the family (wife, newborn). I'm running the numbers and am seemingly coming out ahead in every way possible on the HDHP; in the past our healthcare utilization was fairly low, but the baby is the wildcard. First kid, don't know what to expect for being at the doctor this year.

So I ask you, Pit Parents, anyone else made the switch to HDHP - any regrets? Anyone coming out ahead with a PPO?

Monthly cost to me on the PPO ~ 445 / HDHP ~ 160 (employer contributes $100/mo to HSA).

Went to HDHP and HSA about 4 years ago. The real key is staying out of the ED/Urgent Care/Imaging world. So don't get a concussion and need CTs. Also, do not get bitten by a dog and need post-exposure rabies vaccine. That's expensive as fck and drains the account quickly. Lastly, if you need crazy expensive meds on the regular it may not work out. Worked out awesome fo rus, our healthcare is covered no cash out of pocket for a long time now that the HSA is built up well.

Went to HDHP and HSA about 4 years ago. The real key is staying out of the ED/Urgent Care/Imaging world. So don't get a concussion and need CTs. Also, do not get bitten by a dog and need post-exposure rabies vaccine. That's expensive as fck and drains the account quickly. Lastly, if you need crazy expensive meds on the regular it may not work out. Worked out awesome fo rus, our healthcare is covered no cash out of pocket for a long time now that the HSA is built up well.

Pulled the trigger and made the switch; could not build a model in which the PPO was more cost effective for us.

This cracked me up this morning

12715444_10153966430974181_2070049643042029262_n.jpg

A little behind on this, but my boy is the Slow Poke and my daughter is the Twister. Dog is a Noodler when he decides he doesn't want to jump in the back.

Had a friend experience a heartbreaking loss yesterday at 30 weeks pregnant with her second. Hug your kiddos extra hard. And if you are a praying person, she and her family could use your thoughts.

So I have this app (one of probably thousands of pregnancy apps, so not sure why I picked this one) where I get daily emails with little comments or tips. Every now and then they have one for dads/future dads, and they are so condescending...

Your BabyBump
Day 111

Just for Dad: I’m Interested…

When your significant other is pregnant, perhaps one of the best ways to show your support is to take an active interest in her. Even if she’s talking about how the baby’s foot was kicking her bladder (again) or is going through the list of possible baby names (again), stop and think about how important these topics are to her. It’s obvious that when the baby kicks her bladder, it’s very annoying to her, and her telling you about it makes her feel somewhat better. And when she goes on and on about baby names, that means she wants your input, too. So instead of responding with “uh huh” s and “hmm” s, make an effort to comment, provide your feedback, or ask questions. You may get a very stunned—yet very happy—response, and you’ll both get a boost of confidence at serving an important role in each other’s daily lives.

They're basically like, ok guys, I know you don't really care at all that your wife is pregnant, but at least pretend like you're interested in this future kid of yours, and you'll totally surprise your wife and make her so happy! :tard:

So I have this app (one of probably thousands of pregnancy apps, so not sure why I picked this one) where I get daily emails with little comments or tips. Every now and then they have one for dads/future dads, and they are so condescending...

They're basically like, ok guys, I know you don't really care at all that your wife is pregnant, but at least pretend like you're interested in this future kid of yours, and you'll totally surprise your wife and make her so happy! :tard:

There is certainly an implication there that we gentlemen do not otherwise "take an active interest in" our wives. That would seem to make for an unfulfilling marriage, but every couple is different I s'pose.

It should have a tip reminding pregnant wives to take an interest in their husbands to avoid saying things like, "Yeah, whatever dude. You know there's a person growing inside of me, right?"

Heavy Saturday morning question:

If you guys have done wills, how did you decide who gets your kids? Wife and I are inexcusably delinquent in preparing wills, but it's mainly due to the fact we struggle to decide who gets our kids. Wife has 2 younger brothers, I have 1 younger sister, none of them are married, good possibility none will have kids. Her brothers also don't really have careers or anything, so no way we give them our kids. My sister is more stable and loves our kids, but doesn't plan to have kids herself.

My parents would be most likely to take them I think, they spend the most time with them, adore my kids, and my kids adore them, but they're older and retired. Dad is not in the greatest health. Wife's parents are younger and in better health, but live a few hours away and are generally just less engaged with our kids. Also wonder whether giving kids to either set of grandparents sets up for weirdness or jealousy between the 2 sets (may be overthinking this part, but do think my parents would be bummed if they knew we were giving our kids to Wife's parents).

I've got a cousin who is married, has an adopted kid, and is awesome, husband is awesome, nicest people in the world. But they live in Maryland.

So, no great options and, again, I think that's the primary reason we don't already have wills in place. Figured I'd turn to you guys to see how you handled.

that would imply that women are willing to entertain the premise that the world doesn't revolve around them

Heavy Saturday morning question:

If you guys have done wills, how did you decide who gets your kids? Wife and I are inexcusably delinquent in preparing wills, but it's mainly due to the fact we struggle to decide who gets our kids. Wife has 2 younger brothers, I have 1 younger sister, none of them are married, good possibility none will have kids. Her brothers also don't really have careers or anything, so no way we give them our kids. My sister is more stable and loves our kids, but doesn't plan to have kids herself.

My parents would be most likely to take them I think, they spend the most time with them, adore my kids, and my kids adore them, but they're older and retired. Dad is not in the greatest health. Wife's parents are younger and in better health, but live a few hours away and are generally just less engaged with our kids. Also wonder whether giving kids to either set of grandparents sets up for weirdness or jealousy between the 2 sets (may be overthinking this part, but do think my parents would be bummed if they knew we were giving our kids to Wife's parents).

I've got a cousin who is married, has an adopted kid, and is awesome, husband is awesome, nicest people in the world. But they live in Maryland.

So, no great options and, again, I think that's the primary reason we don't already have wills in place. Figured I'd turn to you guys to see how you handled.

We also had a tough time deciding, but my in laws are in good health and very engaged. For now, they would get the kids, but eventually it will switch to my mom and when she gets too old, we'd have a hard time deciding.

Probably Uncle Sleepy ;)

Back