• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

What kind of snacks do your day cares feed the kids? I picked squirrel up the other day and they'd had Popsicles, cheez its, and something suspiciously like a chocolate cupcake. I don't even give the kid juice at home!

If kids aren't getting animal crackers at day care anymore, then the terrorists have already won.

What kind of snacks do your day cares feed the kids? I picked squirrel up the other day and they'd had Popsicles, cheez its, and something suspiciously like a chocolate cupcake. I don't even give the kid juice at home!

Parents take turns providing snacks for the class at our joint, so it varies by the day, but generally there's fruit, yogurt, little muffins, goldfish, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for noise cancelling headphones? Taking my 2.5 year old to a couple shows, but don't want to destroy her hearing.

Ritz, goldfish, fruit, carrots, cheese, Cheerios seem to be go tos. Occasionally they do have a Popsicle or something but it's rare

I tried to feed both of my kids healthy stuff when they were infants/toddlers and they're only 18 months apart. One of them will eat celery and apples all day. The other one wants cheese quesadillas and ice cream.

169gup4.jpg

When The Heck Did Easter Become The New Christmas?

This article was particularly relevant to me today. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Growing up we definitely always got an Easter basket, but I don't ever remember it being anything too much more than some candy and maybe a new book, CD, DVD, or something like that? (and actually, truth be told, my mom still gets us Easter baskets with a thing or two of candy and a gift card to like Chipotle or something).

Anywho, we picked up a couple little random things for the Bug from CVS this year (I think one small thing of candy, a tiny stuffed animal, and bunny ears or something). Also knowing my parents would get her a few things since we'll be at their house for Easter.

Well, this past weekend we were at my in-laws, and she got a gift bag of stuff, along with at least 4-5 wrapped presents for Easter - a dress, a shirt, some socks, a coloring book, crayons, candy, a stuffed animal, some random plastic toy crap, and a jumpy pogo stick thing. And then some family came over for brunch one day for Easter/my SIL moving out to Utah goodbye party, and two of the cousins (who are our age) brought presents for the Bug - a stuffed animal and $25 to Toys are Us, and another bag full of coloring book, stickers, crayons, two games, and two stuffed animals.

We literally came home with a large box full of new toys and stuff for her. And I know we'll have more this weekend.

I'm grateful for their generosity, but seriously - it's Easter! Christmas once a year is plenty of new junk around our house...

I heard a commercial on the radio that referred to "Easter presents" and was super confused. How/why did that mess start?

I used to get like a GI Joe in my Easter basket when I was a kid and that's always made me feel a little spoiled.

This article was particularly relevant to me today. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Growing up we definitely always got an Easter basket, but I don't ever remember it being anything too much more than some candy and maybe a new book, CD, DVD, or something like that? (and actually, truth be told, my mom still gets us Easter baskets with a thing or two of candy and a gift card to like Chipotle or something).

Anywho, we picked up a couple little random things for the Bug from CVS this year (I think one small thing of candy, a tiny stuffed animal, and bunny ears or something). Also knowing my parents would get her a few things since we'll be at their house for Easter.

Well, this past weekend we were at my in-laws, and she got a gift bag of stuff, along with at least 4-5 wrapped presents for Easter - a dress, a shirt, some socks, a coloring book, crayons, candy, a stuffed animal, some random plastic toy crap, and a jumpy pogo stick thing. And then some family came over for brunch one day for Easter/my SIL moving out to Utah goodbye party, and two of the cousins (who are our age) brought presents for the Bug - a stuffed animal and $25 to Toys are Us, and another bag full of coloring book, stickers, crayons, two games, and two stuffed animals.

We literally came home with a large box full of new toys and stuff for her. And I know we'll have more this weekend.

I'm grateful for their generosity, but seriously - it's Easter! Christmas once a year is plenty of new junk around our house...

I think it started with Millennials.

Everytime Jesus is born or reborn kids get presents from a mythical being the parents are lying about.

we'd get candy and then something that could be used outside - i remember boomerangs one year. i think i maybe got a beanie baby one year? definitely nothing crazy, though. neighbor kids would get 2nd gifts like it was 2nd christmas and that was always a little strange to me.

Heavy Saturday morning question:

If you guys have done wills, how did you decide who gets your kids? Wife and I are inexcusably delinquent in preparing wills, but it's mainly due to the fact we struggle to decide who gets our kids. Wife has 2 younger brothers, I have 1 younger sister, none of them are married, good possibility none will have kids. Her brothers also don't really have careers or anything, so no way we give them our kids. My sister is more stable and loves our kids, but doesn't plan to have kids herself.

My parents would be most likely to take them I think, they spend the most time with them, adore my kids, and my kids adore them, but they're older and retired. Dad is not in the greatest health. Wife's parents are younger and in better health, but live a few hours away and are generally just less engaged with our kids. Also wonder whether giving kids to either set of grandparents sets up for weirdness or jealousy between the 2 sets (may be overthinking this part, but do think my parents would be bummed if they knew we were giving our kids to Wife's parents).

I've got a cousin who is married, has an adopted kid, and is awesome, husband is awesome, nicest people in the world. But they live in Maryland.

So, no great options and, again, I think that's the primary reason we don't already have wills in place. Figured I'd turn to you guys to see how you handled.

My wife and I met with a lawyer and did our wills today. It was a surprisingly easy process. It was morbid at points. And it was weird imagining what age my 3 and 6 year old could be trusted to spend our money. I'm still convinced when they're 25 they're just blow it all on whatever the 25 year old version of Skylanders is.

The lawyer walked us through everything and we felt good about all of our decisions even thought we hadn't spent much time talking them through. I recommend talking to people and getting some recommendations and a price range. Our guy came in short of what we were expecting which was an added bonus.

Say Hey, I think making those key decisions will be easier for your after talking to the lawyer. You'll have a better sense of what they would be expected to do and you're forced to give it more thought.

Last edited:

Probably Pinterest and bloggers. A year or two ago, a coworker who super spoils her kid posted a photo of the Easter present pile and it was probably more than I ever got at a Christmas. Bike, tons of dolls, piles of clothes, etc.

I will be seeing my almost-3 year old nephew at Easter, and checked with my sister/his mom to make sure it was okay to buy him a box of Duplo. But I'd have wanted to bring him a gift even if it wasn't a holiday. Gotta be the favorite aunt.

But I'd have wanted to bring him a gift even if it wasn't a holiday. Gotta be the favorite aunt.

something i have learned having two kids. we told our siblings not to give things for gifts. we encourage them to give "experiences." take them to the pumpkin patch, carnival, spend the day together, etc. find things to do with them as their present. the kids have something to look forward to and then the develop a bond with them. the one step sister and her husband that do that (and yes they give "things" sometimes too) is far an away their favorite and the ones they ask about all the time. they've done the above and also taken them to kids theater shows (live action stuff based on a book for instance) or the nutcracker at christmas.

the other 4 aunt/uncle couples are also-rans.

something i have learned having two kids. we told our siblings not to give things for gifts. we encourage them to give "experiences." take them to the pumpkin patch, carnival, spend the day together, etc. find things to do with them as their present. the kids have something to look forward to and then the develop a bond with them. the one step sister and her husband that do that (and yes they give "things" sometimes too) is far an away their favorite and the ones they ask about all the time. they've done the above and also taken them to kids theater shows (live action stuff based on a book for instance) or the nutcracker at christmas.

the other 4 aunt/uncle couples are also-rans.

Good idea! I live 7-8 hours away so I don't know their area well, and want to spend time with my sister also on my short trips, but I'll keep that in mind. When the second nephew arrives this summer it would probably help everyone to give the toddler some separate attention with a new baby at home.

Back