• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Thanks for all the congrats guys, haven't been on the boards much the last couple of weeks. Definitely excited, but also nervous.

so who gives an allowance?

we are going through a spot with my 6 yo where she can be really crappy. it's almost never at school, the after school program, or grand parents / sitter. it's almost exclusively directed at mom and dad.

we are considering ways to use positive reinforcement to try and make better choices. one thing we were considering is a "good behavior chart" and when she follows all the rules (probably not 100% but some acceptable "nearly all the time" or something) during a given period she can earn something. we are considering a weekly small allowance. also considering a special activity or something. don't want to just do "earn a toy." the given period might be earn a trip to get ice cream with mom after a good week. family movie trip after 2 weeks or month.

any thoughts or success stories?

When you create a google doc entitled "kids eat free" have you officially given up on eating good food ever again yes or yes?

so who gives an allowance?

we are going through a spot with my 6 yo where she can be really crappy. it's almost never at school, the after school program, or grand parents / sitter. it's almost exclusively directed at mom and dad.

we are considering ways to use positive reinforcement to try and make better choices. one thing we were considering is a "good behavior chart" and when she follows all the rules (probably not 100% but some acceptable "nearly all the time" or something) during a given period she can earn something. we are considering a weekly small allowance. also considering a special activity or something. don't want to just do "earn a toy." the given period might be earn a trip to get ice cream with mom after a good week. family movie trip after 2 weeks or month.
any thoughts or success stories?
Our oldest can earn or lose "puff balls"(because we couldn't do marbles with little bro around). and can use those to buy rewards when he earns enough. It gives him some choice in his reward and also teaches a little about saving for something bigger...it's been successful when we stick to it, but right now he's going through a decent phase and we forget to reward because he's consistently good.

Gross. Are you trying to gain weight ?

yep.

more likely though, I am trying to have options that aren't McDonalds for a convenient meal with my kids that won't destroy any chance we get to go out to nicer dinners as adults in the future (ie don't empty my bank account). Pretty sure that one dinner of firehouse subs in a week's time isn't going to double my weight. but I have been wrong before

Ha I was googling this last night and I only have one kid. I did also Google "healthiest kids meal options" though so... That helps?

mcalisters on tues also. Salsaritas on Sunday I think

How many times a week or month do folks here eat out or get take out with kids?

We probably go out once or twice a month but that's usually theme parks or local events when we are out anyway. We get take out maybe once every other month.

mcalisters on tues also.

Good looking out. Squirrel will eat free, and Dad will devour a muffaletta.

We probably go out once or twice a month but that's usually theme parks or local events when we are out anyway. We get take out maybe once every other month.

We go out at the same clip, but I am much more inclined to order takeout or delivery since having a kid. We'll do that once a week or so.

Definitely more than that, but they're older and soccer practice can be late.

I would say we eat out once or twice a weekend usually. Rarely (if ever) during the week. We have a number of places we can walk or bike to so it doesn't necessarily involve getting in the car.

I forgot to add random travel stops at fast food places. Pretty much any time we travel more than an hour, there's a stop at McDonald's or Burger King on the way back home.

We gave up on eating out with kids a few years back. Maybe when they're in high school.

Ours are great at a restaurant. We eat out or have take out about once a week. But it's usually on the way to a game, or we have a playdate or party or tee ball or something that day/evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back