• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Would you feel differently about not an infant seat? He's under the weight limit for his but I think too tall for it.
no, I'd actually feel better. our regular seats are a lot sturdier than the infant seat.

also, don't forget to take a copy of his birth certificate with you to the airport.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you don't need birth certificate. We flew two weeks ago with our two year old- nothing needed

Yeah we forgot the birth certificate this past weekend as we flew with a one year old. No questions asked

little guy is slightly anemic, they say novaferrum 2x a day, any ideas where to get this? any other good ways to up iron in our 9.5 month old?

Spot, your daughter sounds pretty cool. Is she going to prom with El Chupe?

I've always said that I would never in a million years want to coach my Kids' athletic teams, but last night I rolled in to Boy's t-ball game and league commissioner informed me that head coach wasn't going to make it and would I coach. I was like, okay. And it wasn't too bad. Also, over course of several practices and a couple games, I have noted head coach behavior that is pretty egregiously half-assed and that I would do better (e.g., not sending email or calling to team tell us that he wouldn't be at game). So maybe next year I volunteer to be coach? Seems dangerous, but maybe it is for best.

I've always said that I would never in a million years want to coach my Kids' athletic teams, but last night I rolled in to Boy's t-ball game and league commissioner informed me that head coach wasn't going to make it and would I coach. I was like, okay. And it wasn't too bad. Also, over course of several practices and a couple games, I have noted head coach behavior that is pretty egregiously half-assed and that I would do better (e.g., not sending email or calling to team tell us that he wouldn't be at game). So maybe next year I volunteer to be coach? Seems dangerous, but maybe it is for best.

The-Bad-News-Bears.jpg

I've been the head coach for soccer a few years and help out with baseball. It's not bad, but with younger kids their attention span is so short that you have to go into practice with a plan or you just get run over. You can't do it on the fly or you lose control really fast. You really need to have 2 hours worth of drills planned for a 1 hour practice, because depending on the day they may not take to a particular drill or may be over it in like 5 minutes. You lose them in the downtime, so you have to keep them moving from drill to drill. Baseball is a little harder because there is more natural downtime, even on the days you reach the breaking point and are like fuck it I'm done with you just scrimmage.

If he does a good job coaching during practices and games, but has communication issues, you could always volunteer as a team manager. If he sucks at practices also, then volunteer as coach if you feel comfortable with it.

If he does a good job coaching during practices and games, but has communication issues, you could always volunteer as a team manager. If he sucks at practices also, then volunteer as coach if you feel comfortable with it.

What is this half assed bullshit attitude? You take over the entire ballclub, sparky, or you sit your ass on the bleachers and shut the hell up.

Do you want to be Billy Beane, or the kid from Up?

Moneyball-660x430.jpg

What is this half assed bullshit attitude? You take over the entire ballclub, sparky, or you sit your ass on the bleachers and shut the hell up.

Do you want to be Billy Beane, or the kid from Up?

Lol. Maybe that works for a pansy ass sport like t-ball. Coach + Manager/Assistant is the standard for hockey, and it works great.

I've been the head coach for soccer a few years and help out with baseball. It's not bad, but with younger kids their attention span is so short that you have to go into practice with a plan or you just get run over. You can't do it on the fly or you lose control really fast. You really need to have 2 hours worth of drills planned for a 1 hour practice, because depending on the day they may not take to a particular drill or may be over it in like 5 minutes. You lose them in the downtime, so you have to keep them moving from drill to drill. Baseball is a little harder because there is more natural downtime, even on the days you reach the breaking point and are like fuck it I'm done with you just scrimmage.

Yeah, in addition to the communication issues (I'd probably have at least sent an introductory email to my team and followed up on a weekly basis of a reminder of the game time, particularly since we've had a couple of weather cancellations/make ups), he also had no plan whatsoever when it came to practice, no drills or anything. At one practice, he literally played fetch with the kids -- just throwing the ball far away and having them chase it and go get it.

While fully acknowledging that I sure as shit didn't want to be the coach, I would have at least spent 10 minutes on the googles coming up with a handful of drills. The kids are 4, they don't know shit, so you could at least try to teach them how to throw a ball. Anyway, dude is laid back, which is great, but really too laid back such that I can't really figure out why he even volunteered.

Pretty sure you don't need birth certificate. We flew two weeks ago with our two year old- nothing needed

Yeah we forgot the birth certificate this past weekend as we flew with a one year old. No questions asked

We fly about every other month and a lot of the time are not asked, but have always been asked by Southwest. We have been asked probably about 1/2 of the time though and were missing it one time and had to have one of my parents scan a copy and email it to us at the airport before being allowed to check in. Better safe than sorry.

ETA: Southwest requires one for children under 2.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/family/baby-on-board-pol.html

Last edited:
I've flown with kids under 2 several times and don't remember needing a birth certificate. Maybe my wife took care of it or maybe it's because we were using the car seat.

Back