• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Up to 13 emails for status updates on Rambo. He's pissed like 7 times so he's got that going for him which is nice.

Our elementary school has an app called ClassDojo where each kid's activity is basically logged the entire day for the parents to see. Got there on time, morning reading, math, lunch, etc. They get points for doing things properly and lose points if they act up. If they make it through the week with no negative points then they get a prize or something, and the kid with the highest point total at the end of the year gets an award. The parents can also send/receive messages directly with the teacher through the app, and she can post pictures of in class activity that only the parents can see.

I don't know if anyone actually sits there and monitors their kid's activity all day, but it also sends a weekly summary that relatively useful because if the kid fucks something up and doesn't tell you, you can see it.

I have to admit, part of me is envious of the ability to receive in depth daycare updates (really would've been more relevant when the Bug was an infant as I'm less worried about her overall now). But, being in a nanny situation where our feedback is basically "we had a good day" (unless something out of the ordinary or bad happened or she's sick or had an accident or something), has made me MUCH more laid back and chill about feeling like I need to know what she's done all day. She's still alive and happy at the end of the day when I get home? I guess all is well!

I have to admit, part of me is envious of the ability to receive in depth daycare updates (really would've been more relevant when the Bug was an infant as I'm less worried about her overall now). But, being in a nanny situation where our feedback is basically "we had a good day" (unless something out of the ordinary or bad happened or she's sick or had an accident or something), has made me MUCH more laid back and chill about feeling like I need to know what she's done all day. She's still alive and happy at the end of the day when I get home? I guess all is well!

I feel like that's all I'd want to know. Unless the kid is sick and I want to know what they may have come in contact with, it wouldn't occur to me to track/know EVERYTHING. I'm also just generally trusting that things happen as they should unless otherwise noted, though, so yeah. Without reason to believe something out of the norm was happening, I imagine being fairly content with 'we had a good day.'
That said, I love when big brother/sis in law sends pics of my niece (which undoubtedly come from one of these apps).

I feel like that's all I'd want to know. Unless the kid is sick and I want to know what they may have come in contact with, it wouldn't occur to me to track/know EVERYTHING. I'm also just generally trusting that things happen as they should unless otherwise noted, though, so yeah. Without reason to believe something out of the norm was happening, I imagine being fairly content with 'we had a good day.'
That said, I love when big brother/sis in law sends pics of my niece (which undoubtedly come from one of these apps).

I do get pictures texted sometimes!
c121e2e26752b339fdd831dd6c6289ab.jpg

I actually don't care what P does all day (though it's helpful to know what time she last had a bottle/diaper change) but it's great to know what S has been working on/learning so we can talk about it at home. At one point, I randomly found out E could count in Spanish because I said Uno and he kept going, so now we know Spencer is learning zoo phonics letters and sounds and I know he just worked on S and T so I can talk to him about those and reinforce it/feel involved.

No app or updates like that at my daycare, that was a one off pic from the teacher.

We got a relatively detailed sheet at the end of the day from infant class and those are helpful when feeding timing is a little more frequent. But sadly no texts or emails like "your kid shat" or anything

Daughter #2 induced a week early... Wife went to 39 week appt and baby was somehow measuring small enough for them to want to get her out of there. Was supposed to be less than 5 lbs, but ended up at 6 lbs, 5 oz.

First night at home tonight and she has no interest in sleeping more than 30-45 minutes a stretch after sleeping most of the day. I had almost forgotten how much fun the first few weeks are with a newborn.

She's great, though. Just wish she'd sleep.

Congratulations!

Daughter #2 induced a week early... Wife went to 39 week appt and baby was somehow measuring small enough for them to want to get her out of there. Was supposed to be less than 5 lbs, but ended up at 6 lbs, 5 oz.

First night at home tonight and she has no interest in sleeping more than 30-45 minutes a stretch after sleeping most of the day. I had almost forgotten how much fun the first few weeks are with a newborn.

Congrats!

av1tuw.jpg

3.5 yr old broke his arm Sunday night. Fell off a tree house ladder. We are supposed to leave in 2 weeks for a 3 week road trip that includes 2 weeks at the beach. Perfect timing.

ahhhh - that's not supposed to look like that. damn.

Congratulations!

My 19 month old has been a terrific sleeper almost from the get, but the past three nights he has gone on a crying jag at around 12:30. The first two required one of us to get up and coax him back to sleep. Lat night I waited and he went back on his own. I'm hoping he just hasn't been feeling well, but last night it was sort of a consistent wimpering light moaning so Im thinking bad dreams?

awesome, ATS. kinda sounds like our situation; she went in for her 39 week apt, they put her on the monitor and it was running low so they sent her to the hospital at 2pm, daughter was born at 7:30. Crazy day.

8 weeks already; time flies

oORBsDq.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, thanks. it's been a wild ride so far. fortunate for us, ITCwife is able to stay home through the summer

They had school pictures in my daughter's infant class when she was like 4 months old. Did I buy them? You're goddamn right I did.

How have I never noticed this thread before?

Things that are NOT making me want to have another baby ^^^^

Thanks Bojangles, can't hurt to have it! I don't know that I would have remembered- we did bring it the last time we flew but I don't remember if we wee asked. I do think it's probably a matter of who you get at the gate, though I think he looks borderline not 2 so wonder if we'll get asked!

I won't say it's easier the second time around but depending on how far apart they are, you are more used to the dumb shit they do.

Back