• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Durham public schools held their lottery yesterday and my daughter didn't get in to any of the magnet schools. The elementary school we're districted for sucks so we're going to try for a hardship transfer to a school that's actually closer to us.

We're also thinking about one of the Montessori schools. I'm curious if any of you have any experience with that. I think the classroom setting is cool but I'm not looking forward to paying for elementary school.

I wouldn't send my kid to a Montessori school without first having them tested and finding out if that's the best learning environment for them. Most kids do better in more traditional learning environments.

I wouldn't send my kid to a Montessori school without first having them tested and finding out if that's the best learning environment for them. Most kids do better in more traditional learning environments.

That's fair. We haven't had her tested but we toured the school and it seems very similar to the type of environment she's used to at her daycare.

Durham public schools held their lottery yesterday and my daughter didn't get in to any of the magnet schools. The elementary school we're districted for sucks so we're going to try for a hardship transfer to a school that's actually closer to us.

We're also thinking about one of the Montessori schools. I'm curious if any of you have any experience with that. I think the classroom setting is cool but I'm not looking forward to paying for elementary school.

Our 3 year old is in a Montessori PK3 program this year (in a classroom with 3, 4, and 5 year olds). It's a public charter school in DC, and it's free, so I can't necessarily speak to whether I would pay extra for it. Montessori also wasn't our top choice, but DC has a crazy lottery program, and this was where we ended up (and it was better than the public school we initially landed in).

I, personally, need to do a better job of learning more about the Montessori classroom and what she's actually doing all day. But she seems to really enjoy school and seems to be learning. And every friend I've talked to that went to Montessori pre-school or lower elementary grades speaks very highly of it. One thing I do like is the mixed-age classroom where she's learning both from her teachers and older kids, and as she gets to be the older kid in the classroom she'll be helping the younger ones.

Our hesitancy about it is still how the transfer goes from Montessori to more traditional classrooms. This particular school goes through 6th grade, and I just have a hard time wrapping my head around moving from this to a normal middle school.

Montossori is all the rage here in ole meeje with the gringos and wealthy mexican fellas. Not us though, my boy keeps it real! with the people, los hombres, in normal escuela

Well my daughter shotgun shat all over the walls, carpet, clean clothes and diapers in her room when we changed her overnight. Hilarious, what can you do but laugh. Gassy kid.

Well my daughter shotgun shat all over the walls, carpet, clean clothes and diapers in her room when we changed her overnight. Hilarious, what can you do but laugh. Gassy kid.

Just happened again, this time on a different room's changing table and in the direction of her sister's open toy chest...fortunately it missed a lot of the toys but many were not so lucky.

It might be worth mentioning this is a new baby... not sure folks got the memo you welcomed #2 (kid, not poop) on 2/22.

Always hilarious.

My daughter did that to my mother-in-law when my wife was overreacting and my mother-in-law was taking her temperature rectally.

I feel like that should be an Olympic event. Longest distance from a baby bowel movement.

It's amazing how far that shit can shoot. And how instinctual it is to block it with hands/bodies. A non-cloth changing pad was the best money we ever spent.

The Naked Question

"I wish there was a parenting manual on how to be appropriately naked that will ensure your kids will become comfortable in their own skin. But like parenting teaches us, you’re not always going to get it right.

Again, the key is that you instill in their memory the fact that dad has a big dong.

how much does this matter? bodies are bodies and yes, boys and girls are different... but learning that a body is not a sexual thing and is just a body seems ok to me. i don't know though, i have no context for this. i feel like most adult women are just self-conscious/modest, and that's why they make more effort for privacy than your average man walking between bedroom and bathroom :noidea:

similar thought: siblings bathing together. i feel like you just let that happen (for efficiency more than anything else) until someone makes the statement that they want their privacy. ?

My thought was that with same gender there really isnt an age to put it away... but would 30 year old LBE really want to be seeing her pops nude around the house? Its no big deal if your brother does though. I def saw my dad nude many times into adulthood, but I have no recollection of ever seeing my mother naked even as a kid, yet my wife still sees her mother naked pretty much every time we visit.

Well, no, I don't WANT to see that but at the same time if, with all of us being adults, my dad decided he wanted to walk around his own house in the buff it's on me to change my circumstances to not see it. I guess someone could say "put some clothes on!" but it's not like it's necessarily inappropriate on its own.

I don't think adults is the same conversation. I think the link LadyDeac posted is more in line with it in terms of the question I have... you do what feels right for your family and hope you're not screwing anyone up. I just didn't/don't know if there's a common thought that like, "at age 10, children and their opposite-sex siblings and parents should no longer be around each other naked as the pre-adolescent child develops their sexuality." I just pulled that statement out of my ass, but that's what I'm wondering. :noidea:

I cross streams with my almost five year old son on the reg. I dont see a reason to take turns if we are both in there anyway and he thinks it is hilarious. And to Say Hey's point, he things I have king kong dong.

Back