• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I mean, I'm SJW as fuck, so I'm usually simpatico, but on this one, I'm out. If she'd stuck with a "they want to bring in more kids and it's going to overcrowd the classrooms," I could listen to that, even though I seriously doubt that would be the consequence. But when your email emphasizes the "LOW INCOME" part (even uses all caps !), and throws in all this incendiary BS about our property values, that's where I'm like, c'mon lady, not chill.

You shouldn't be concerned about losing $50K in value on your home. You should be concerned about having to spend $50K a year to send your kids to private school because your local elementary school suddenly sucks. But if you're in the Brooks or Root districts neither of those things are going to happen.

You shouldn't be concerned about losing $50K in value on your home. You should be concerned about having to spend $50K a year to send your kids to private school because your local elementary school suddenly sucks. But if you're in the Brooks or Root districts neither of those things are going to happen.

Well then I guess we'll be okay !

Think it's also kinda weird to write off a bunch of low income elementary school kids as, what, hopeless to properly educate? Like, sorry, you're 6 years old and low income, so it's too risky bringing you in because obviously you won't be able to hang with these other more wealthy kindergarteners.

Rewrote your post to do a Mad Lib!

It makes sense to write off [insert marginalized group here] as hopeless to properly educate [insert privileged hashtag]

Possible answers:
-Low income families
-Minorities
-Immigrants
-People with a criminal record

#AmericaFirst #NotInMyBackyard #ThisIsAmericaOrderInEnglish #WillSomeoneThinkOfTheChildren #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Boy is in ole meeje pre K and they have homework. I guess the rumors about America becoming soft are true. Wall or not we are coming!!!!

You guys who have already had a kid go through kindergarten - did your kid have homework? Our teacher sends home these work sheets, which aren't super long or anything, but they can take a little time and Boy is usually wiped out at night and in no mood for homework. We've been doing them because I don't want to be that parent of the kid who doesn't do his homework, but some nights I definitely feel like this is dumb and he's in kindergarten and we could spend happier more productive and beneficial time reading than frustrating time doing a math worksheet.

PM and his ex always chatted it with the teacher, but yeah... if the kid is on track and you do other things with them at home (like read, play games that use math skills, etc.), forcing homework at age 5 is super lame.

That beings said, now kiddos are respectively in 2nd and 4th grade. 4th grader definitely does all of his HW, and 2nd grader also does all of hers, except for the reading log. Her teacher is aware and knows that she reads/is read to, but we are trying to encourage reading as a fun activity... not a "YOU MUST READ FOR 15 MINUTES RIGHT NOW" activity.

PM and his ex always chatted it with the teacher, but yeah... if the kid is on track and you do other things with them at home (like read, play games that use math skills, etc.), forcing homework at age 5 is super lame.

That beings said, now kiddos are respectively in 2nd and 4th grade. 4th grader definitely does all of his HW, and 2nd grader also does all of hers, except for the reading log. Her teacher is aware and knows that she reads/is read to, but we are trying to encourage reading as a fun activity... not a "YOU MUST READ FOR 15 MINUTES RIGHT NOW" activity.

We don't have reading logs or anything yet (PK4), but I had a teacher friend with three kids share something on FB the other day about her loathing of reading logs and an alternative that another teacher developed.

This shit freaks me out so much:

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

A step beyond the simply pirated Peppa Pig videos mentioned previously are the knock-offs. These too seem to teem with violence. In the official Peppa Pig videos, Peppa does indeed go to the dentist, and the episode in which she does so seems to be popular — although, confusingly, what appears to be the real episode is only available on an unofficial channel. In the official timeline, Peppa is appropriately reassured by a kindly dentist. In the version above, she is basically tortured, before turning into a series of Iron Man robots and performing the Learn Colours dance. A search for “peppa pig dentist” returns the above video on the front page, and it only gets worse from here.

Disturbing Peppa Pig videos, which tend towards extreme violence and fear, with Peppa eating her father or drinking bleach, are, it turns out very widespread. They make up an entire YouTube subculture. Many are obviously parodies, or even satires of themselves, in the pretty common style of the internet’s outrageous, deliberately offensive kind. All the 4chan tropes are there, the trolls are out, we know this.

This, I think, is my point: The system is complicit in the abuse.

And right now, right here, YouTube and Google are complicit in that system. The architecture they have built to extract the maximum revenue from online video is being hacked by persons unknown to abuse children, perhaps not even deliberately, but at a massive scale. I believe they have an absolute responsibility to deal with this, just as they have a responsibility to deal with the radicalisation of (mostly) young (mostly) men via extremist videos — of any political persuasion. They have so far showed absolutely no inclination to do this, which is in itself despicable. However, a huge part of my troubled response to this issue is that I have no idea how they can respond without shutting down the service itself, and most systems which resemble it. We have built a world which operates at scale, where human oversight is simply impossible, and no manner of inhuman oversight will counter most of the examples I’ve used in this essay. The asides I’ve kept in parentheses throughout, if expanded upon, would allow one with minimal effort to rewrite everything I’ve said, with very little effort, to be not about child abuse, but about white nationalism, about violent religious ideologies, about fake news, about climate denialism, about 9/11 conspiracies.

We don't have reading logs or anything yet (PK4), but I had a teacher friend with three kids share something on FB the other day about her loathing of reading logs and an alternative that another teacher developed.

LOVE that. thank you!

Yeah, I sent a rep to MHB basically saying I'm glad PM's kids don't have tablets. This makes me hope they stay young forever and never, ever go online.

The worst new trend is YouTube videos of kids playing video games or opening packs of cards. Have no idea why the kids love them, but they do.

The worst new trend is YouTube videos of kids playing video games or opening packs of cards. Have no idea why the kids love them, but they do.

Yeah we had to block YouTube on all devices because of that. Not only is it a stupid concept, but the guy playing video games is always like 22 in his mom's basement dropping F-bombs every third word with JayZ blaring in the background.

We use an app called Cakey on the old iPad my daughter uses cuz of all the weirdness that is even available on YouTube kids. On Cakey you can add YouTube videos to your own playlists so only the videos you add can be seen.

Warning, boring tax question.

My work let's us put up to $1500 in a flex spending account for child care. Because that is less than the allowed $3000 per kid for tax credit purposes, can I claim the dependent care tax credit on the difference? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Back