• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I get the feeling this will lead to water everywhere. Half the time with the current sippy cups she ends up turning it upside down or pushing it onto the floor

it'll spill a little when it hits the ground, but otherwise it requires a little suction to actually get water out.

it'll spill a little when it hits the ground, but otherwise it requires a little suction to actually get water out.

good to know. i'll give it a shot

Yeah, there has to be pressure put on the lip in order for it to come out. Its a great transition between a bottle and a regular cup. She inevitably throws it down 5 times per meal, and maybe 4 or 5 drops come out.

Have almost 11 month old and trying to figure out how to get her to drink water from a sippy cup - any tips? Does great holding bottle and seems to understand how to hold sippy cup but think she just doesn't like water. Know we have to start getting her away from the bottle over the next month or so and we're down to 3 bottles a day with good eating of food, but need to figure out how to get her hydrated other than formula from a bottle.

These BravaWare cups (Amazon) are the only ones we've had any luck with - no issues with spilling when dropped.

61BwVphYhIL._SX522_.jpg

These BravaWare cups (Amazon) are the only ones we've had any luck with - no issues with spilling when dropped.

61BwVphYhIL._SX522_.jpg

How do these hold up against teeth? The plastic ones we use (take-n-toss) only last a few months before their bottom teeth dig into the plastic and make it gross.

Third the recommendation for the 360 cups. You do sometimes get a little spill if it hits the ground the wrong way. But it doesn't spill just being tipped sideways or held upside down. And it's the most similar to learning how to drink from a "real" cup.

For the food transition, my only recommendation (which I didn't heed with my first kid) is to try "Baby Led Weaning." I know Chic is a strong proponent. We did traditional baby foods with #1, and it worked fine. Eventually transitioned to regular solids. With #2 it was too much of a pain to try to spoon feed him food while we were all eating normal meals, so we decided to try BLW and just give him what we were eating (with a few caveats - low sodium, non choking hazard, no honey, etc). I've since become a BLW proselytizer. It was just so much easier to eat meals together and it helped him try a lot of foods from day 1.

In terms of having a third kid, I feel like we're almost ready to close the door, but are having trouble being definitive about it. Still have all the clothes and most of the stuff (although did just give our infant car seat away to someone who couldn't afford one). But we have a three bedroom house that fits our family well, it's easy to get a table for 4 going out to dinner, and we'll always have the right number for amusement park rides ;-). Not to mention the fact that #2 is simply more of a hellion than #1 ever was (he's 16 months) and the thought of another one of him is exhausting.

I second the BLW method. We basically just started offering solid foods as soon as she would eat them (she got teeth pretty early). Didn't really realize it was a 'method' but it got her off the milk soon and opened up food options, though having to make meals and sides for her specifically has been annoying at times. I think it definitely improves their palate, though.

Any advice on the transition to food in general would be great. My daughter is 7 months now and we are trying to get her to eat various baby foods (we've just been getting the jars, she seems to like sweet potatoes best so far) at least once a day before one of her bottles (she takes 4 bottles per day). Hopefully will get the daycare to start helping us out this week as well.

Sounds reasonable. Pretty much everything we gave our now 10 month old daughter starting at about 6 months worked well but sweet potatoes and squash are hits early on. The only ones that didn't work well were the dinners like turkey and rice purée, she hated those but some babies like her older sister loved them.

They grow out of baby food fast though; she lost patience with that so we've been giving her what we're eating since she was probably 8-9 months.

Daycare is a big help.

For the food transition, my only recommendation (which I didn't heed with my first kid) is to try "Baby Led Weaning." I know Chic is a strong proponent. We did traditional baby foods with #1, and it worked fine. Eventually transitioned to regular solids. With #2 it was too much of a pain to try to spoon feed him food while we were all eating normal meals, so we decided to try BLW and just give him what we were eating (with a few caveats - low sodium, non choking hazard, no honey, etc). I've since become a BLW proselytizer. It was just so much easier to eat meals together and it helped him try a lot of foods from day 1.

In terms of having a third kid, I feel like we're almost ready to close the door, but are having trouble being definitive about it. Still have all the clothes and most of the stuff (although did just give our infant car seat away to someone who couldn't afford one). But we have a three bedroom house that fits our family well, it's easy to get a table for 4 going out to dinner, and we'll always have the right number for amusement park rides ;-). Not to mention the fact that #2 is simply more of a hellion than #1 ever was (he's 16 months) and the thought of another one of him is exhausting.

We did BLW with both of ours and it worked great. They both ate very well. The 3.5 year old is becoming pickier by the minute, but she likes enough good stuff (veggies / turkey hot dogs / taco meat / cold cuts) that we can feed her without it being a pain. They both still eat pouches like crazy... Mostly Plum Naturals and Applesauce.

Our younger daughter is ~20 months now. So we were exactly where you are now about 4 months ago. Even made a list of pros and cons of having a 3rd that really was just a list of "cons"... The problem was the "pro" was as simple as "adding another person in our family." I mean, we're only on day 1 of knowing for sure that we're having a 3rd kid, so what do I know? All of the reasons to not have a 2nd kid are EXTREMELY valid... But I've always romanticized the idea of having a big family because my wife and I didn't have that growing up. Already, I am excited by knowing that this is 100% our last rodeo... We aren't doing it again after this, so I can hopefully get through the more difficult/annoying times with that in mind.

We also are doing the BLW at the recommendation of Chic. It really has been pretty awesome so far. She loves meat (daddy's girl) and enjoys eating with us. Usually at a restaurant we'll pull out her mat and bib and she eats small portions of what we order. The only complication is when she's eating dinner and gets sleepy. Food in the eyes is not much fun. We've been really fortunate that we've not had to purchase any formula or baby food since the day she was born. We're slowly cutting back on the amount of milk she drinks, hoping to have it completely shut off by 12 months.

I may have mentioned this before, but she refuses to crawl. She loves standing and will most likely transition to walking without ever crawling. The Mrs was weird like that.

Number 1 responded well, initially, to BLW. I took at as a huge win when was eating curry chickpeas at 6 months old, but in the months that followed she got pickier and pickier. It's a bit of a fight now (she's 2). She does well with fruits and veggies, crackers/pretzels, yogurt, cheese sometimes, but no animal protein in any form. Pasta can be hit or miss.

Number 2 is getting weaned a bit more traditionally as we just started introducing baby food over the last few weeks. Will offer soft solids pretty soon.

Congratulations to you, ATS.

We decided we'd be done at 2 and I got snipped back in November. I will confess to you guys there have been moments recently where I think the kids are being really fucking cute and wonder if it was the right decision. Then we're in the car and both kids are losing their shit and I know it was the right decision. Jokes aside, my wife had c-sections with both kids and both kids required special care for different reasons right after birth so physically and emotionally those events have taken a toll on us. Plus, frankly, we were ready to move out of the 'starting our family' phase so we could focus on the 'raising the family' stage. It's been a little surreal getting rid of stuff that we know we won't use ever again after having saved it to use on #2.

I've always figured it's a texture thing why my two year old barely eats meat. She'll eat meatballs and meatloaf and sometimes dark meat chicken and that's pretty much it. And those are some of her absolute favorite foods. But burgers and taco meat, nah, even though they're basically the same.

Our oldest (4.5) is so damn picky. It's frustrating, but I figure a lot of kids are similar, so hopefully one day she'll decide she's ready to expand her palate again.

The 16 month old is definitely pickier than when he first started eating. But still will eat most of the things we serve.

Went home over lunch to calm down the wife a bit and bring her another pregnancy test that wasn't 2 years expired.

Still pregnant.

She's excited... Just overwhelmed with all that needs to be done now. She wanted to ask me 1000 questions that I don't have answers to. 2 kids and 2 bedrooms works well... 3 kids and 2 bedrooms? Do we move? Do we need different cars? Why did we give away all of our baby clothes after #2? My Ob/Gyn is no longer at her practice... How do I find a new doctor!?!

Chill, lady.

I'm stoked now that it is officially happening.

lol, she sounds like me (not that I have been in that situation, but in situations like this I am immediately thinking 293438 steps down the road).

Congrats to you guys, enjoy the ride! ...in your new car! ...that you drive to your new house! :)

I’m basically just seconding everyone but those 360 cups were awesome, as was baby led weaning. Never had to deal with baby food or separate meals, which I love.

To teach ours to use the 360 cup and straws (and I imagine it would work with sippy cups, though we never used them) I put a little peanut butter on the rim/straw and when he sucked it off water came out. Took a few times but he figured it out. I imagine mashed avo or something else would work if PB is a concern.

The 3 kids questions are big ones- that seems like such a leap. Outnumbered and all of that.

Another vote for 360 cups! Although we also have this cup with a weird flip-up straw someone gave us - it’s pretty great. My son is a champ with the straw - although every third pull he spits everything out like a boxer.

We’ve been living with my in-laws for the last six months, so the food situation has been interesting. We head back east on Friday, and while I will miss the plethora of babysitters we have at our beck-and-call, I’m excited to have more control over his diet. He’s never done baby food, but I have a feeling his diet will be even more of what we’re eating at that moment. We were really excited when we learned about BLW, but I wouldn’t say we’re exactly doing that.

I think this was discussed before but has anyone had any success with one of those toddler clocks that changes colors when they're "allowed" to get out of bed? Our 21mo old is in the middle of a relapse and is waking up multiple times a night but is def smart enough to understand something like "it's still sleep time until that clock is green". seems a little too good to be true. do they work?

The 3 kids questions are big ones- that seems like such a leap. Outnumbered and all of that.

We have 3. 13, 12, and 5. The good news is that we have reached the promised land where both girls can now babysit the boy and the days of paying sitters are over (for the most part anyway). TBH, I could not imagine having three in diapers. Our third was a total accident and something we were told was not possible. So, we were excited, shocked and dumbfounded. But he is awesome.

Back