• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Found out the hard way that BG's GI system is not ready for acidic tomato based sauces. We fed her lasagna last night, which she loved, but puked it up in an uncomfortable, crying fit about 5 hours later. All over the Mrs., which is fortunate in the end because I'm a sympathy puker and would have been throwing up right there with her.

Confirmed last night that this is not the case. Puked all over me, and I took it like a champ. Poor girl couldnt keep anything down and just wanted to sleep on my chest.

Our next door neighbor tried for a third for a few years. Just had the baby a few months ago and it was born without eyes. They had no idea until birth.

Shit like that is scary and awful. My wife is worried we are rolling the dice once too often, but I don’t think that’s a reason not to do it. Definitely a reason to do it sooner than later, though.

How did that not get caught on an ultrasound?

My boss told me the most hilarious (yet terrifying) story about what her son did the other day.

They live in Orlando, and during the cold snap recently, it got fairly cool there, and her 5.5 year old wanted to roast marshmallows in their firepit. They either didn't have time, or didn't do it for whatever reason on the evening he was requesting it. But at midnight, my boss wakes up and hears her dogs barking. When she goes to check, it turns out her son had gotten out of bed, gotten a stool and climbed up to reach where they keep their lighter up high (and the marshmallows), unlocked the sliding door to the patio, grabbed a trashcan and filled it with tissues, went out to the patio, surpassed the childproofing on the lighter, lit the tissues on fire, had found a stick in the yard, and was standing there roasting marshmallows. When she walked out he said "I TOLD you I wanted to roast marshmallows tonight!"

:eek:

11 month old is a great sleeper. Typically down at 730 and up at 7 with minor noises throughout the night that may wake us up but no need to go settle her down. Recently she's starting having about one night a week or so where she absolutely screams for extended periods of time (upwards of 45 minutes). We're assuming it's because she's teething so have gone in, held her, given her some tylenol or motrin, and put her back down to scream it out and go back to bed (eventually). She doesn't do that during the day at all though so is it strange that she'd be in so much pain from teething overnight only? I guess giving her the meds can't hurt if it's not the teething causing the screaming, right?

hearing about other people's kids sleeping on here is like my first month at wake forest - everyone was taller, smarter and better looking than me

I guess giving her the meds can't hurt if it's not the teething causing the screaming, right?
We asked a similar question to our pediatrician the other day, and her response was that as long as you don't overdose them, Motrin/Tylenol is fine to give them when they are uncomfortable.

We asked a similar question to our pediatrician the other day, and her response was that as long as you don't overdose them, Motrin/Tylenol is fine to give them when they are uncomfortable.

yeah, the child tylenol was a big help for us

hearing about other people's kids sleeping on here is like my first month at wake forest - everyone was taller, smarter and better looking than me

We've been lucky with her sleeping but will say that we hear every noise she makes at night even without a monitor since she's in the next room over. While she's sleeping through the night, we certainly aren't doing that regularly.

Great news. No idea if its really the solution but at least at that point we've done what we can, short of holding her all night and not getting any sleep myself

Great news. No idea if its really the solution but at least at that point we've done what we can, short of holding her all night and not getting any sleep myself
That was the root of our question, do we "drug" her or hold her all night. During the day they have more stimuli to keep their mind off of their uncomfortable mouths, but when they lie down to sleep those stimuli are no longer present. When they feel bad, they get comfort either via meds or nurturing, for the sanity of all involved meds can be the best choice.

My boss told me the most hilarious (yet terrifying) story about what her son did the other day.

They live in Orlando, and during the cold snap recently, it got fairly cool there, and her 5.5 year old wanted to roast marshmallows in their firepit. They either didn't have time, or didn't do it for whatever reason on the evening he was requesting it. But at midnight, my boss wakes up and hears her dogs barking. When she goes to check, it turns out her son had gotten out of bed, gotten a stool and climbed up to reach where they keep their lighter up high (and the marshmallows), unlocked the sliding door to the patio, grabbed a trashcan and filled it with tissues, went out to the patio, surpassed the childproofing on the lighter, lit the tissues on fire, had found a stick in the yard, and was standing there roasting marshmallows. When she walked out he said "I TOLD you I wanted to roast marshmallows tonight!"

:eek:

The kid figuring out the lighter is the craziest part of that story. How??

The kid figuring out the lighter is the craziest part of that story. How??

Yeah, I'm pretty amazed by that portion. He does have two older brothers (14 and 16) so there's definitely the possibility they taught him somehow without the parents knowing.

But I mean, I feel like I can't get those things to light half the time!

How did that not get caught on an ultrasound?

Could you even see that on an ultrasound? I mean, he has eye sockets... There is no real deformity. I've seen him up close a number of times and he looks 100% normal aside from having his eyes closed all of the time.

I can guarantee that nobody knew this until the baby was delivered... They had all the normal tests and scans ahead of time and it was never caught. Talk about a bittersweet day for them. They've done remarkably well given the situation.

Could you even see that on an ultrasound? I mean, he has eye sockets... There is no real deformity. I've seen him up close a number of times and he looks 100% normal aside from having his eyes closed all of the time.

I can guarantee that nobody knew this until the baby was delivered... They had all the normal tests and scans ahead of time and it was never caught. Talk about a bittersweet day for them. They've done remarkably well given the situation.

They showed lenses but I could have be misspeaking or heard wrong. That is tough.

Not sure this is the right place for this but gender reveal parties annoy the bejesus out of me.

When did gender reveal parties start being a thing? I don’t remember anybody asking us if we were going to have one just 6 years ago.

Back