• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Started watching the OG Magic School Bus with my son. It still holds up well, and I'm getting a kick out of the nostalgia.

It's so cool to share and experience familiar things with your kids (be it a book, tv show, game, etc.).

yeah, i get a kick out of the that my daughter prefers some of the old books that were my favorites (per my mom)

Same for me with old Thomas the Tank Engine (Ringo Starr narrating) and Mr. Rogers. We read some of my old children's books too but a lot of them seem kind of dumb now compared to newer children's books.

Same for me with old Thomas the Tank Engine (Ringo Starr narrating) and Mr. Rogers. We read some of my old children's books too but a lot of them seem kind of dumb now compared to newer children's books.

Really? I've found the opposite to be true. What do you feel hasn't held up/which do you think are pretty good?

for one, every damned golden book has about a billion words too many and puts me to sleep faster than my daughter

Sharptooth is every bit as menacing as I remembered

My two year old daughter says, "Momma, what's a longneck?" about 50x a day.

Yeah, I force my kids to watch stuff that I liked. I mean, it's not really forcing because they like it... But it is definitely stuff they wouldn't be exposed to if I weren't nostalgic about such things.

for one, every damned golden book has about a billion words too many and puts me to sleep faster than my daughter

This is true. Also just comparing the thought that goes into a Daniel Tiger book, for example, versus some of the old ones where reading it now it’s like, they clearly felt it was unnecessary to write well or be thoughtful for kids books. Of course there are plenty of true old gems by Richard Scarry, Shel Silverstein, etc.

So... Circumcision.

How long is this thing going to take to heal?

Little guy just had it done Friday around noon and it’s a mess down there. He doesn’t seem overly bothered, but it makes changing a diaper a lot more difficult and time consuming.

Side note: First night home last night and he didn’t sleep nearly as well as in the hospital. This is our third rodeo, but it’s hilarious how much you forget about the beginning and how much it can suck.

I think nature makes you forget, otherwise you’d never do it again

So... Circumcision.

How long is this thing going to take to heal?

Little guy just had it done Friday around noon and it’s a mess down there. He doesn’t seem overly bothered, but it makes changing a diaper a lot more difficult and time consuming.

Side note: First night home last night and he didn’t sleep nearly as well as in the hospital. This is our third rodeo, but it’s hilarious how much you forget about the beginning and how much it can suck.
I think within 10 days it should be fine

Not to be too graphic, but make sure you keep the remaining skin from sticking to the tip

I wasn’t circumcised as a child but when I started getting into fights in the locker room in middle school I started begging my parents to have me circumcised. They told me no and when I got to college I was a bit of a novelty. But my wife will you marry me and tell I got circumcised. So a few months before our wedding I went and had it done and I don’t regret it at all.

I think within 10 days it should be fine

Not to be too graphic, but make sure you keep the remaining skin from sticking to the tip

Use that Vaseline. I put it on the tip and some on the diaper. That was 4 years ago so the rec may have changed 18 times since then.

Are circumcisions really necessary?

I did some research when I was pregnant because it seems like it wouldn’t be. If I remember correctly, it can reduce chances of UTIs, STDs, even penile cancer. I guess you can’t say NECESSARY but also not totally a misguided “trend.” I also read some stories (so obviously anecdotal) about elderly men getting infections when caring for themselves became difficult.

I did some research when I was pregnant because it seems like it wouldn’t be. If I remember correctly, it can reduce chances of UTIs, STDs, even penile cancer. I guess you can’t say NECESSARY but also not totally a misguided “trend.” I also read some stories (so obviously anecdotal) about elderly men getting infections when caring for themselves became difficult.

What other countries default toward circumcision as the norm?

Boom.

I have a son as of 3:10am. Excited to get to watch our first football game together later today.

Well, I’m excited. He has no idea what’s going on.

Looks like your son was just about 12 hours behind mine. This is our first and dealing with the same issues you brought up.

Back