• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Happy to help with any advice or answer any questions about these surgeries
General info:

Adenoid surgery, while often done with tonsil surgery, is really not in the same ballpark for recovery. I tell families beyond some smelly breath, adenoids are generally not painful. More than tylenol or motrin are rarely needed. Activity/diet can remain as it was pre-operatively.

Adding in tonsils is a bigger deal. Pain is usually a pretty big part of recovery- especially as they get older.
Under 5 I still recommend tylenol and motrin. But with tonsils it needs to be on a rotating schedule. You can anticipate a decent amount of pain still.
Over 5 my recommendation is tylenol and motrin with narcotic pain medication for break through as needed. I also put all post tonsil patients on low dose steroids for five days. It really helps keep down some of the inflammation and helps with pain. Activity is more restricted for up to two weeks if possible. Diet should be soft/smooth for two weeks. There is a low risk of hemorrhage generally 5-7 days post operatively. Fevers for the first day or two after surgery aren't uncommon.

Let me know if anything comes up I can help walk you through! Hopefully everyone has a speedy and uneventful recovery :)

my 6yo sold a Pokemon card to a classmate for $20. should i message the other kids parent asking if they want to unwind the trade?

Yeah I was gonna say, it might be your kid who got ripped off, depending on the card.

As someone who used to do trades like that all the time back in middle school, I'd only unwind if if the other parent asked for it/that money was supposed to be used for other purposes.

Yeah I was gonna say, it might be your kid who got ripped off, depending on the card.

As someone who used to do trades like that all the time back in middle school, I'd only unwind if if the other parent asked for it/that money was supposed to be used for other purposes.

think my son made out slightly better, $10 or so on Amazon.

think my son made out slightly better, $10 or so on Amazon.

I'd say let the kids think they worked out an awesome deal, but you quietly offer to give the other kids parent's $10 back. 6 is probably to young for those kinds of transactions, maybe like 10 they should start learning those lessons, but 6 year olds can barely even read.

I'd say let the kids think they worked out an awesome deal, but you quietly offer to give the other kids parent's $10 back. 6 is probably to young for those kinds of transactions, maybe like 10 they should start learning those lessons, but 6 year olds can barely even read.

otoh if they saved up allowance money they should be able to spend it on what they want and none of the cards are really worth anything in the long run (since I'm guessing 6 yos aren't taking care of these as collectables)

basically if the kid is happy w/ that purchase because he really wanted the card, is anyone actually harmed here? the other parent would probably have to spend a lot more on packs to get that card randomly..

otoh if they saved up allowance money they should be able to spend it on what they want and none of the cards are really worth anything in the long run (since I'm guessing 6 yos aren't taking care of these as collectables)

basically if the kid is happy w/ that purchase because he really wanted the card, is anyone actually harmed here? the other parent would probably have to spend a lot more on packs to get that card randomly..

do 6 year olds get allowances?

Why is a 6 year old carrying around $20 in cash at school?

Because he agreed to buy a Pokemon card for $20 and brought the money to school.

We recently had my twins christened, and they received some monetary gifts from family. Should I put it all in their 529s or do I open up savings accounts for them so that when they get older they have their own money? Considering the state of the market I feel bad putting it all in their 529s.

I will probably do a mix of both, but with birthdays and 1st communions and all the other stuff that will happen down the line, I wanted to see if any of y'all with experience had good ideas on how to do this.

I am in no way saying this is the correct thing to do, because I often debate it myself...

But I usually put the kids' monetary gifts in their own savings accounts. I feel like they should be able to spend a birthday gift of like $25 or $50 on what they want (even if that is delayed until they get older). Of course, the kids (being 8, 6, & 3) have no idea about the value of money or how much they have in savings... But it'll be helpful in teaching them about money. I'm trying to teach them the value of things, but it is tough because I get upset when they blow money on candy (even though I did the same thing when I was a kid).

I also put a good amount of $$$ in each 529 every year around tax time... We get a modest break on that here in Georgia. We've also been lucky enough that one grandparent decided to make a $12k (one-time) gift to my kids ($4k each)... It was earmarked for college and I put it straight into their 529s.

Back