• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

You weren’t much older than her when it came out. Did you have an Atari before that?

You weren’t much older than her when it came out. Did you have an Atari before that?

Ahh. Excellent question. Blast from the past. We did have an atari.

I have two older siblings which I guess makes it feel different. Once the 8 year old gets it then the 5 year old will want to play it too. Hard to know how to parent with technology.

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas we go to my in-laws in Winston. Most of the day I end up watching my kids in addition to my brother in law’s kids. I take them to the park and do other activities with no other adults. It’s fine because my wife gets to spend quality time with her parents but it’s ridiculous IMO that I watch my brother in law’s kids for an extended period of time without my brother in law ever offering to watch them.

I really don’t want to watch my brother in law’s kids this Christmas. What is the right solution?

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas we go to my in-laws in Winston. Most of the day I end up watching my kids in addition to my brother in law’s kids. I take them to the park and do other activities with no other adults. It’s fine because my wife gets to spend quality time with her parents but it’s ridiculous IMO that I watch my brother in law’s kids for an extended period of time without my brother in law ever offering to watch them.

I really don’t want to watch my brother in law’s kids this Christmas. What is the right solution?
Your sister or wife (whomever's husband) needs to step in and insist/offer his help. If you've never complained you may need to chaulk it up as scope creep and change the dynamic going forward.

If they won't maybe your grandma can offer up the idea and put everyone on the spot. #dontwwnttobeonthatnaughtylist

Alternatively, bring a large paddle, walk in and say, "that shit ain't happening this year" while tapping your hand and then yel, "kids! Front and center."

All, I’m going to say is that I ruined one dress doing laundry and now I don’t do laundry.

I’m sure the same principle applies.

This reminds me of my ex brother in law. One time He stood in the kitchen and pounded 3 Heineken in about 15 minutes while I prepped dinner for his kids (and mine) and my sister was upstairs getting their kids dressed. He was a dookie too. Fuck that guy.

Think it's been discussed but anyone have a kids smart watch they like? Plan? Looked at a few like the ticktalk one and the cosmo 2.

Think it's been discussed but anyone have a kids smart watch they like? Plan? Looked at a few like the ticktalk one and the cosmo 2.

My son reminded me of this article this morning: Why Did We All Have the Same Childhood?

I'm sure most know Jingle Bells/Batman Smells, or (if you're a millennial) some variant of killing Barney in the I Love You song. I wasn't aware until today that Smash Mouth had entered the elementary cultural consciousness at some point (pardon the rough transcription):

Somebody once told me the world was macaroni,
so I took a bite out of a tree,
it tasted kind of funky,
so I spit it at a monkey,
and it got mad at me.

A thousand years later,
it turned into Darth Vader,
and he threw his lightsaber at me.
He missed by a meter,
and hit Justin Bieber.

Anyone else feel like youtube shorts is the worst thing ever invented for kids? I don't mind some screen time but trying to get away from brain rotting content and into something at least a little more productive. Anyone find a sweet spot of engaging AND productive screen time? Ages 9-12.

Anyone else feel like youtube shorts is the worst thing ever invented for kids? I don't mind some screen time but trying to get away from brain rotting content and into something at least a little more productive. Anyone find a sweet spot of engaging AND productive screen time? Ages 9-12.

it's exhausting to police - at this point I just assume if it's not annoying for me to watch/overhear it's probably not awful for them.

i refuse to let my girls hang out on youtube, though

There for a while my son (RAMBO!) was super into those primitive builder videos. I can get behind that.

Yeah I finally banned the Youtube in the house except for if they specifically ask to watch something and I watch with them. It's just too stupid and it makes me irrationally angry that they're are people selling their kids' childhoods to become millionaires. I'm not sure there's anything I hate more than A for Adley or Ryan's World.

My girls, 4 and 7, have gotten really into Roblox. I limit the time to 20 mins a day but they don't have a video game system or anything so this is their only gaming experience. Is Roblox awful? I know little about it.

Yeah I finally banned the Youtube in the house except for if they specifically ask to watch something and I watch with them. It's just too stupid and it makes me irrationally angry that they're are people selling their kids' childhoods to become millionaires. I'm not sure there's anything I hate more than A for Adley or Ryan's World.

Yup. I did this years ago. Was easy with the girls. But my son is dumb and really likes Ryan's World and I'm too burnt out as a parent to give a shit anymore.

But I still don't let them watch YouTube.

Back