• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

My girls, 4 and 7, have gotten really into Roblox. I limit the time to 20 mins a day but they don't have a video game system or anything so this is their only gaming experience. Is Roblox awful? I know little about it.

My girls are the same. Roblox was big starting last summer / fall. They still do it, but not as often. They each have really cheap notebook computers and usually play the same game at the same time and just yell at each other from each of their rooms.

Older one now into Minecraft, as well.

But the last few weeks, they've started playing their own games of Zelda: BOTW on our Switch and are competing against each other to see who can get further in the game faster.

I much prefer the Zelda to Roblox/Minecraft, but they all seem pretty harmless. Especially since I turned off the chat option and they can't communicate with others.

Minecraft and BotW both reward creative thinking so I’m cool with them.

Did a total ban of Fortnite recently which feels good, man.

Luckily, our Fortnite phase with the 8yo only lasted a few weeks. I think she knew she wasn't really ready for that one.

Haven't been able to get my oldest to try a controller based game yet. He loves Nintendo Switch Sports because it's just swinging your arm.

He'll also play this as long as we let him on the iPad

Anyone else feel like youtube shorts is the worst thing ever invented for kids? I don't mind some screen time but trying to get away from brain rotting content and into something at least a little more productive. Anyone find a sweet spot of engaging AND productive screen time? Ages 9-12.
That's a tough one. We limit our kids youtube to a couple of channels with regular format (~25 minute) episodes of yoga (Cosmic Kids) or activity (Ms. Linky?). That's about it for what they can watch on youtube and only if we're in earshot.

Back in college a buddy of mine used to pull his sack out of his shorts at random times and declare he sat in gum. Ok.

Fast forward... a few years... and he sends a text to our group chat that he just taught his 8 yo son the joke. His caveat was that he is "forbidden" from doing that to a girl other than his mother (they're not married). I'm guessing he got the message as no other texts responded in the 4 days since.

Back in college a buddy of mine used to pull his sack out of his shorts at random times and declare he sat in gum. Ok.

Fast forward... a few years... and he sends a text to our group chat that he just taught his 8 yo son the joke. His caveat was that he is "forbidden" from doing that to a girl other than his mother (they're not married). I'm guessing he got the message as no other texts responded in the 4 days since.

uh

I'm curious as to the mental workings of the type of dude that 1.) would teach that joke to his 8 year old son and 2.) would think that all his boys on his groupchat would praise the revelation of him teaching that joke to his 8 year old son

meanwhile, my wife was telling our 7yo a few days ago that if someone gives her a gift she doesn't have to accept it and telling her what to do if someone ever, like, gave her some clothes or a bathing suit and asked her to try it on

you went to college with diggler?

yeah just to clarify -- this is a very good bit for a dude to do to his buddies when they are in college.

An 8 year old is not going to be good at picking their spots. That kid is 100% going to get sent home from school for flashing a girl.

yeah just to clarify -- this is a very good bit for a dude to do to his buddies when they are in college.

An 8 year old is not going to be good at picking their spots. That kid is 100% going to get sent home from school for flashing a girl.

sent home or worse. Schools don’t fuck around with stuff like that these days.

Agree with the above. We were shocked. Great bit with your boys in college but...

When he led with "hear me out" and ended with "I never said I'd be a great dad just above average." I've never seen him not be pretty good and really devoted to his kid. But this? Turns out he failed on being above average.

A little sensitive here. Wondering if you really didn't go to college.
All cards on the table time I guess. I tried. I really did. Nine schools over three years. Nothing stuck. Other than the occasional spray and pray from a roommate that missed his girl and blinded me. That only happened twice. Friendly fire ftl. Two different rommies at three different schools. Once i slept through it. It's really difficult to fill out admission applications with one eye glued closed. You cant stay at that school after an event like that. The Capt cummy nickname followed me to four schools. Non consecutively I might add. F ING msg boards. F off Sabre. The third time was me if I'm being honest. I'll never aim up again.

Back