• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Our daughter is starting her 4th week of daycare and for all the horror stories I've read about the kid having a hard time leaving/the bad parts of daycare (which I am sure will come when she gets a little older), it has been wonderful for her and us. She's taking bottles consistently now, napping better, which turns into better sleep at night, and way more independent than she was before - so we can actually let her be at home and do other stuff while she plays on the ground.

It's kind of funny because every time I bring her in, the two ladies rush to the door to grab her first. Apparently she's the only baby who is happy all the time, so they all want to be with her to avoid the other kids. I guess all the other kids cry just to cry, but ES only cries when she actually needs something. Either that, or they're just telling every parent their kid is happy and great, which could also be true.

Any suggestions on explaining death to a 6 year old? We buried my grandmother today, and our 6yo is having a difficult time comprehending as this is the first funeral she's been to with some sort of awareness. We're trying to explain and answer questions as best we can, but I'm not sure we're always getting through. My grandmother was in hospice, so there are counselors available that we're seriously considering.

Any suggestions on explaining death to a 6 year old? We buried my grandmother today, and our 6yo is having a difficult time comprehending as this is the first funeral she's been to with some sort of awareness. We're trying to explain and answer questions as best we can, but I'm not sure we're always getting through. My grandmother was in hospice, so there are counselors available that we're seriously considering.
Check out "the invisible string" book

Spoiler alert !

Cliffs notes
Everyone has an invisible string from their heart to those they love. It's still there when a loved one dies.

My counselor wife thinks it’s pretty important to avoid comparisons to sleeping. I think giving the space to ask questions when they come up is important. Kids brains don’t work like adults in that they aren’t going to just process in bulk. Counselors can be helpful, and just giving space to process. Were they very close?

My grandmother lived next door, and they saw each other pretty much daily for the first 4 years of her life. She had alzheimers and spent the last 18 months in a facility, so she knew my GM was "sick", so we told her that she'd died. Thankfully, we never used the sleep analogy.

It always amazes me the things people tell kids to save themselves from a difficult conversation. I don't think less information is ever really "better."

All the vibes for you and your family tsy.

Has your kid ever pondered the death of an animal or pet? Seems like they get that pretty easily, or mine did anyway. Not sure if you are religious or your kid has a general idea of heaven, etc, but saying that the deceased is in heaven (with the angels, if that helps) may make the pill easier to swallow.

I think kids are pretty resilient and ultimately are just trying to understand what "dead" actually means, as explained by an adult. Even if it hits your child pretty hard, 5 minutes later they'll probably be coloring or something.

Sorry about the death of your grandmother, btw.

I’m sure you all know this already but good lord, hand/foot/mouth SUUUUUCCCCKKKSSS
Thoughts and prayers :-(

Also if you haven't caught it yourself... do anything in your power to avoid it. Wash your hands every 5 minutes if you must. The first time my kid got HFM my wife got it real bad... had unbearably itchy/painful feet for almost a week and lost almost all her nails in the weeks following.

Our kid was actually kind of fine on his first go-round, then he caught it again 6 months later and his throat was a lot worse so it was a lot more painful for him (went 3 days without solid food).

The worst.

Thoughts and prayers :-(

Also if you haven't caught it yourself... do anything in your power to avoid it. Wash your hands every 5 minutes if you must. The first time my kid got HFM my wife got it real bad... had unbearably itchy/painful feet for almost a week and lost almost all her nails in the weeks following.

Our kid was actually kind of fine on his first go-round, then he caught it again 6 months later and his throat was a lot worse so it was a lot more painful for him (went 3 days without solid food).

The worst.

Oh it’s gotten me. Hands and feet are wrecked. Tough scene all around

Wearing really thick double-socks helped my wife with her feet somehow (maybe the compression?). I'll ask if she has any other tips.

Put my feet in our mini plastic pool and it’s delightful. Wife just brought me some string cheese. I think I can survive this

The twins are at this stage where they just start yelling for Elmo and won’t stop until Elmo is on tv. However you don’t realize how much of Sesame Street doesn’t involve Elmo until children start yelling whenever he isn’t on the screen.

Back