• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Stinky and Dirty
Trash Truck
Bluey
Daniel Tiger

These are the only nonsports things on my TV during the daylight hours in my home.

i know thhat sounds less than useful and maybe cruel but yeah, sometimes you just gotta stop making them separate meals

it can crush your dining out/traveling plans a bit, though

We just had a major sitch, lots of other complications involved, but one of them was going to Greece in 2024 and stressing about the picky eater.

When we get take out as a family we usually have to get him McDonald’s separately.

I think every kid is different. We've made a conscious effort to give her a ton of different stuff so she doesn't just want one thing.

We're at the point now where we basically cut up whatever we're eating and give her some to test different stuff out (13 months). She likes some more than others.

Applesauce is a good fallback if she's teething or having other ailments.

I know some kids just are really picky eaters though, even if you take all the efforts to avoid it.

Yeah it sounds like the horse is out of the barn now so idk how to cure it once it’s really gotten going, depending on the age of the kid.

my kids (8,6) with very limited exceptions have pretty much had to eat what we eat since they got to 2 or so, even if it’s not their “favorite”.

They’ve of course developed their preferences and sometimes claimed aversions to things they’ve previously eaten like potatoes or ham but in those cases it’s usually slightly scaling back the amount of the aversion thing they have to eat rather than getting a new meal entirely.

There’s always the specter of “no dessert till we say you’re done” that far supersedes any of their declared aversions.

We just had a major sitch, lots of other complications involved, but one of them was going to Greece in 2024 and stressing about the picky eater.
Going through this right now. My oldest likes french fries, pasta and raw vegetables. That's it.

We make her get school lunch - no more home lunch. And we've stopped preparing special meals at home - she gets the ingredients we eat, but no special preparations or things that aren't already part of dinner.

Also, it takes a lot of coaching, but we've been helping her navigate restaurant menus to figure out how to ask for things on the menu she'll like / eat.

Remember:
1. Kids won't starve themselves.
2. As the parent you control what and when your child eats - they decide how much.

Godspeed; I wish I had better tips for you.

You eat what we feed you for dinner. If you don't eat it for dinner, it will be waiting for breakfast tomorrow. If you don't eat it for breakfast, it will be there for lunch, and so on until it is eaten. None of it is going to make you sick. Pretty simple and seems to work.

"You get what you get and you don't get upset."

Anything in the fruit bowl (usually cherry tomatoes, bananas, apples) is also available at any time.

No trying this or cleaning plates that, that just invites a battle.

If dessert is part of the planned meal, then everyone gets dessert.

We also try to regularly have home-cooked meals in the rotation the kids say they love. Suspected favorites are pasta, burgers, but then they surprise you and love Yorkshire pudding and sauteed cabbage.

When we get take out as a family we usually have to get him McDonald’s separately.

Fuck that shit. My wife and daughter and I were driving back from Atlanta on Sunday (no Chick-fil-A) and by daughter (age 17) tried to veto Bojangles and Wendy's but agreed to McDonald's and Zaxby's; while my wife said no to Arby's. Cookout was definitely in play, but there wasn't one reasonably accessible. We went to Wendy's and my daughter didn't get to eat lunch. This wasn't really a problem when they were younger.

we got a new chicken finger place called Huey Magoo's that just opened here. who knew there was such a market for restaurants serving chicken tenders, crinkle fries, toast and sauce.

Yeah idk what the deal is with Wendy’s lately when I’ve had it, maybe the franchises I’ve been to are just lousy but I remember it being better

Yeah idk what the deal is with Wendy’s lately when I’ve had it, maybe the franchises I’ve been to are just lousy but I remember it being better
I've tried lately to go to two Wendy's in town and it seems like they only have 2 people working: one cooking and one doing everything else. First time I waited way too long in a long line and the second time I waited like 5 mins for the car in front of me to order and then another 5 at the intercom with no reply so I drove off.

Back