• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

The twins are at this stage where they just start yelling for Elmo and won’t stop until Elmo is on tv. However you don’t realize how much of Sesame Street doesn’t involve Elmo until children start yelling whenever he isn’t on the screen.
Damn, no love for Abby's flying fairy school at least? My kid is usually interested if either that segment or Elmo is on.

The twins are at this stage where they just start yelling for Elmo and won’t stop until Elmo is on tv. However you don’t realize how much of Sesame Street doesn’t involve Elmo until children start yelling whenever he isn’t on the screen.

1031880.jpg

Anyone have experience with body positivity with kids? Ugh, it’s heartbreaking how 10 year olds can already be bullies about weight.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Anyone have experience with body positivity with kids? Ugh, it’s heartbreaking how 10 year olds can already be bullies about weight.

Any recommendations appreciated!
It’s new, so I haven’t read this yet but Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture by Virginia Sole Smith is on my list.

She also has a podcast called Burnt Toast that has some related episodes.

I’ve just dipped my toes in this recently because our 5yo mentioned not wanting a “fat belly” so would also love any advice from others.

Last edited:
Anyone have a favorite set of "learn to read" books? My older daughter is going into first grade next year and doing pretty well, but wanted to get something for her to practice with over the summer.

Anyone have a double jogging stroller? Thinking about trading in the single, I’ve really liked and gotten a lot of miles out of our Thule.

I have a baby jogger city mini GT2. had to look that up to double check the name and holy shit it’s a $700 stroller. Anyway we got it heavily used for not that price and while it’s somewhat adequate to run with it’s “compact” enough for day to day use too. So kind of a middle ground. If you’re looking solely for running purposes there are probably better options.

“Compact” in quotes bc it’s about the size of a golf cart or Fiat but any double stroller will be that way.

Last time I ran with that my kids were like 5 and 3 so I felt like goddamn Sisyphus pushing that beast around on any sort of incline. It does kind of feel unstable if you’re going fast-ish or downhill though

Is there a hand brake? I have to use the brake with the Thule going downhill.

While I appreciate Blippi’s variety, he will do many different subjects, he is still more unwatchable than Miss Rachel who does fewer subjects.

At what age did kids start enjoying Disney movies or real cartoons?

While I appreciate Blippi’s variety, he will do many different subjects, he is still more unwatchable than Miss Rachel who does fewer subjects.

My 3 yo has been into Disney and Pixar for a while. We’ve been watching the OT Star Wars trilogy with him lately. He’s a big fan of “D2” and Yoda.

It’s amazing the amount of Baby Yoda clothing you can get for toddlers even though the show is not at all for them.

I’d say around 18 months for my daughter, but that could be because my son was watching. She’s obsessed with Monster’s Inc.

Not as obsessed as she is with Cocomelon though.

My son is currently watching some French abomination called Grizzly and the Lemmings although he calls it something else. There is no speaking.

I’d say around 18 months for my daughter, but that could be because my son was watching. She’s obsessed with Monster’s Inc.

My son is currently watching some French abomination called Grizzly and the Lemmings although he calls it something else. There is no speaking.
Haha I tried showing Monsters Inc to my son and I forgot oh yeah it’s all about monsters terrifying children so we had to abandon it pretty quick.

My wife tried the French version of Miss Rachel, Mimi Solei, thinking it would help with language, no dice

Last edited:

Damn. I am forever grateful that my kids wanted to watch wild Kratts and curious George than some of the stuff is meant for Little kids.

Back