• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

With the first kid, you see them eating dirt, panic and think about rushing them to the hospital to have their stomach pumped. With the second, you make them spit the dirt out and try to clean their mouth. With the third one, you watch them eating dirt and wonder whether they'll still need you to make dinner.

With the first kid, you see them eating dirt, panic and think about rushing them to the hospital to have their stomach pumped. With the second, you make them spit the dirt out and try to clean their mouth. With the third one, you watch them eating dirt and wonder whether they'll still need you to make dinner.
I love blue more than I do some of my immediate family members.

My ~2.5 year old son started daycare this week after nearly two years in a nanny share. Today will be day four. Seems like every day he’s been less upset while there but more upset getting ready to go in the morning and has had a massive sleep regression the last two nights, just moaning and asking for my wife and me all night. Any insight or tips about when this will all abate? Seeing mixed stuff online. Tough transition. We also need to finish potty training, he’s got a baby brother on the way, and we need to transition him from crib to big bed soon, so lots of changes to routine.

My ~2.5 year old son started daycare this week after nearly two years in a nanny share. Today will be day four. Seems like every day he’s been less upset while there but more upset getting ready to go in the morning and has had a massive sleep regression the last two nights, just moaning and asking for my wife and me all night. Any insight or tips about when this will all abate? Seeing mixed stuff online. Tough transition. We also need to finish potty training, he’s got a baby brother on the way, and we need to transition him from crib to big bed soon, so lots of changes to routine.
Hey man, I can tell you they get use to it, and it’s a rough two week transition, but you just ride it out until they acclimate. Pretty soon daycare will be tiring them out so much that he will be sleeping better and they will be excited to go. Right now it’s just change and adjustment. Toddlers hate change and they hate disruption to their schedule, he just needs to get use to the new schedule. I don’t think there is a magic bullet for this one. Just wait until the sicknesses start, the first 3 months your kid will catch every thing under the sun.

We transitioned our first from crib to bed a little before the second was due (17 months apart). We just put a mattress on the floor (maybe box spring too back then?) and made it out to be a "big boy bed" he could climb in/out of by himself. Worked for him.

Hey man, I can tell you they get use to it, and it’s a rough two week transition, but you just ride it out until they acclimate. Pretty soon daycare will be tiring them out so much that he will be sleeping better and they will be excited to go. Right now it’s just change and adjustment. Toddlers hate change and they hate disruption to their schedule, he just needs to get use to the new schedule. I don’t think there is a magic bullet for this one. Just wait until the sicknesses start, the first 3 months your kid will catch every thing under the sun.
Has he been in daycare before, @TownieDeac? It's a big transition for kids. I think it's helpful to view it as like a workday for him. He's going to be a lot more tired because it's a more sustained rhythm to his day. Try bumping up bedtime even earlier for a few weeks if you can swing it. That helped a lot with our kid.

My son also started sleeping better after a few days of preschool, which was great, because he was always a terrible sleeper. And yes, he will have at least a stuffy nose for the next three months, probably worse. And you will get it too. But he will get adjusted before long.

As for the bed, bed on the floor definitely works. We got an Ikea platform bed which is maybe 18 inches off the ground, so my son can climb in and out of it easily. You will definitely have another transition period there, for him to figure out that just because he can get out of the bed whenever he wants doesn't mean he should. I do not have a good answer for you as to whether you should do this while he is adjusting to daycare or not. That completely depends on if you think it would be better to have a bunch of change at once to adjust to or do it incrementally.

our son (3) just moved to a different building on the daycare campus and he was having issues going in, getting sad and clingy when we walked in, melting down when we left. his new thing there is wanting to bring in some toy (usually a Hot Wheel) to "show friends" and put in his cubby. he walks in, shows the teacher his toy, puts it in the cubby, we grab it, and take it home.

all the vibes. some things just take more time and patience. he's going through more than you right now. this too shall pass.

i assume its also day 3 of him bringing home shit that makes you or your wife sick.

Last edited:
not sure if I have ever shared this story before but the crib/bed talk reminded me...

my daughter was about 2 1/2 and still happily sleeping in the crib. it was one of those transition ones that you dropped the bed low to the ground with the sides up before removing the sides and just having a toddler bed. she would call out for mom or dad when she woke up depending on who she wanted to get up with her for breakfast. it was a Saturday or Sunday and she called the audible for dad.

I walked in the room to get her (she could climb out but wanted one of us to get her) and as i pick her up she says, "dad, do you like vagina?" i was shocked and really wanted to laugh because well... of course... but i also knew she was asking if i liked her because she's different from me - girl/boy. i guess i paused a little too long trying to not laugh and answer her. so she said, "do you like penis?" all I could do without laughing out loud was spit out "breakfast time!" as i scooped her up.

back to your regularly scheduled programming.

our son (3) just moved to a different building on the daycare campus and he was having issues going in, getting sad and clingy when we walked in, melting down when we left. his new thing there is wanting to bring in some toy (usually a Hot Wheel) to "show friends" and put in his cubby. he walks in, shows the teacher his toy, puts it in the cubby, we grab it, and take it home.
My kids (3) classroom actually has a special basket for kids to bring in "special things/toys" from home. They can bring one thing in per day and it has to stay in the basket but when they are missing home they can visit it. It has been a huge help. Though my kid is definitely stretching the meaning of "special" with the stuff he has been picking out to bring and show his teacher lately lol.

My kids (3) classroom actually has a special basket for kids to bring in "special things/toys" from home. They can bring one thing in per day and it has to stay in the basket but when they are missing home they can visit it. It has been a huge help. Though my kid is definitely stretching the meaning of "special" with the stuff he has been picking out to bring and show his teacher lately lol.
he can bring a stuffed animal in with him, although it's meant to be used at naptime. so we literally bring it in covered in a raincoat so he can't see it then hide it up on a shelf otherwise he'd try to get it.

Anyone else consulting ChatGPT as an additional parenting resource? It's a decent supplement to the traditional advice pathways, and it sure beats random google searches.

Some of our recent queries:

Can you give me an explanation for evolution and where humans came from that is suited for a 5 year old?

How can I explain white lies to my eight year old child, while reinforcing the value of honest behavior?

Today was the first day he wasn’t sobbing when we opened the door to daycare. He cried while getting dressed and walking there but is now caught between missing mamma and actually liking SCHOOOL! MORE BOOOOOOKS!

Anyone else consulting ChatGPT as an additional parenting resource? It's a decent supplement to the traditional advice pathways, and it sure beats random google searches.

Some of our recent queries:

Can you give me an explanation for evolution and where humans came from that is suited for a 5 year old?

How can I explain white lies to my eight year old child, while reinforcing the value of honest behavior?

I probably take too much pride and try too hard in my off the cuff age appropriate explanations of things like “what is diabetes” and virology. The most important thing is that I know I aced it, whether my 6 and 8 year old zone out is not my concern but sometimes they’re engaged.

The diabetes one I remember being a grand slam because I had to start small with how does food work, carbs/sugars etc.

Back