• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Oh mannn these are some cute babies! I forget if I said it already but I think our boys look similar, w&b.

Thanks for the Hylands rec, chic! Definitely helping. I've resorted to some Tylenol a few times though because he's got 2 of those suckers poking through and there's only so much hand chewing he can do.

Does anyone else think that kid's birthday parties are totally out of control? Party favors, entertainment, decorations, professional cakes. I don't remember this shit from the 80s. It was sheet cake, pizza, and go run around the yard.

Yes, kitchin. My son just turned 5 and is having a party this weekend. Shit's gotta be themed, several games, different themed foods, etc. I blame Pinterest.

Does anyone else think that kid's birthday parties are totally out of control? Party favors, entertainment, decorations, professional cakes. I don't remember this shit from the 80s. It was sheet cake, pizza, and go run around the yard.

I've mentioned this before on here I think, but it is all Facebook's fault. All the moms see their friends' kids parties so try to one-up them or at least hold serve. Plus, because everyone sees pics of the parties, you have to invite every kid under the sun so nobody gets offended.

Definitely an effect of Pinterest/social media. Gotta one up all of your friends! I think I had at least 4 "Slip N Slide" parties. Although my mom did do some games like fishing for rubber ducks and stuff like that.

I've mentioned this before on here I think, but it is all Facebook's fault. All the moms see their friends' kids parties so try to one-up them or at least hold serve. Plus, because everyone sees pics of the parties, you have to invite every kid under the sun so nobody gets offended.

lots of things are facebook's fault

I'll say that both AMF Lanes on Jonestown and Adventure Landing on Stratford have both done a good job with birthday parties for my daughter. And the best part is no clean-up.

lots of things are facebook's fault

yup

I'm all for getting a Maxi B's cake, but that's more for me than anything else. Otherwise, agree completely.

Oh mannn these are some cute babies! I forget if I said it already but I think our boys look similar, w&b.

thanks. post a pic. He and I have the same head.

rmpg5x.jpg

Yes, kitchin. My son just turned 5 and is having a party this weekend. Shit's gotta be themed, several games, different themed foods, etc. I blame Pinterest.

My daughter is turning 5 tomorrowl. House is decorated like Frozen, Elsa impersonator, all the girls from preschool class, other friends (and siblings of friends who are friends with my older and younger kids), cousins, other family members traveling from out of state to attend(!), party favors, Frozen cake, frozen party favors, frozen sing along, etc. Insanity.

Thanks for the Hylands rec, chic! Definitely helping. I've resorted to some Tylenol a few times though because he's got 2 of those suckers poking through and there's only so much hand chewing he can do.

Ibuprofen may be more effective for the kind of pain teething causes, but glad they are making a dent, S gets a dose at least daily. He's struggling.

My daughter is turning 5 tomorrowl. House is decorated like Frozen, Elsa impersonator, all the girls from preschool class, other friends (and siblings of friends who are friends with my older and younger kids), cousins, other family members traveling from out of state to attend(!), party favors, Frozen cake, frozen party favors, frozen sing along, etc. Insanity.
Oh, that's next-level stuff, which is probably more expected for a girl. We are just doing superhero-themed stuff(5 or so mini-games, themed snacks), no impersonators, all 10 families (15ish kids) invited are friends from in town.

Good luck.

We were allowed to pick a theme for our parties and what flavor cake we wanted mom to bake... and then everything was all at the house. There was always a scavenger hunt based on the theme to find the presents, a craft of some-sort that matched the theme, and then us kids just running around like hellions.

In retrospect, I'm lucky to have a mom with baking/decorating/crafty abilities and a dad who just liked acting a fool in front of kids (he was usually a theme-related character involved in the scavenger hunt), because the parties were always awesome and well-done, but they were definitely home-made and going to a skating rink or bowling alley was never an option.

An Elsa impersonator?! Dang.

I was thinking about this yesterday- what made Frozen such a hit? I haven't seen it so I have no idea but people are GD obsessed with that movie.

Back