• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

3 years 11 months. 50lbs.

Nice. My oldest is 5 years, 10 months and 66 lbs. He hasn't gained weight in the last few months though.

Are you familiar with Zaycon Foods? It's a wholesale food distributor. Great deals on chicken, beef, and pork. Helps cut down the food bill a bit.

Do you have a dog? I convinced my daughter at a similar age that the dog walked the house at night checking on things Making sure everything was ok. every time the dog walked in the room I would comment on it "yes, dog everything is ok" or "thanks for checking on us."

I actually did this last night, told him the dog helps protect the house, and he seemed to like that, although I wasn't sure how far I should let him go with the idea that there are monsters and our dog keeps them away.

Hell, I once sprayed hair spray in the doorway and told him it would keep monsters out.

My boys are small but they eat like freaking teenagers already. I am very concerned about how our food bill will continue to grow.

I actually did this last night, told him the dog helps protect the house, and he seemed to like that, although I wasn't sure how far I should let him go with the idea that there are monsters and our dog keeps them away.

I say there are no monsters but IF there were the dog would know it. Then make a silly joke about the dogs "supper sniffing schnoz" or whatever silliness I think of. No monsters but the dog keeps watching out for us. One thing that helped is the dog likes to sleep at the top of the second floor stairs. She agreed that's another example of the dog keeping watch.

Nice. My oldest is 5 years, 10 months and 66 lbs. He hasn't gained weight in the last few months though.

Are you familiar with Zaycon Foods? It's a wholesale food distributor. Great deals on chicken, beef, and pork. Helps cut down the food bill a bit.

We make great use of our Sams Club membership.

We make great use of our Sams Club membership.

Do you guys have the premium or whatever? we're seriously considering upgrading because we think it likely would be cost effective...we buy so much stuff in bulk.

So how much harder does parenting get once the kids are mobile?

I think all stages of parenting are tough in different ways. The mobility does add to it, but they also start being able to express what they want, which helps me a ton. Until it gets annoying...

for me it was tough to get used to at first. after a little while though it evens out and it's fun. just wait until they are 3-4 or so and want to do everything themselves and you are in a hurry. they take off running and not cooperating. that is my kryptonite.

It's harder but much more fun IMO. Those first 6 months can be brutal since you basically play at your kid rather than play with them. So far early 2's is the toughest spot IMO. They begin to want to do literally everything by themselves and if you do it for them it just ruins the whole experience. Like if there is a cup sitting there that Rambo wants and I pick it up he yells at me "MY DO CUP" or something like that and proceeds to put the cup back exactly where it started and go get it himself. Birdie at 4.5 is a piece of cake for the most part. You just have to rein her in sometimes but I'd rather have a kid that pushes the limits than one that is always following every rule to the T.

On the other hand, they start to go to the bathroom by themselves which is huge. You take that tradeoff.

If your kid is a daredevil and gets into shit he's not supposed to, mobile probably sucks. Otherwise, being mobile is a gigantic improvement.

If your kid is a daredevil (and both of mine are), it's a transition from carry to chase.

Guys, of course I've been doing that every night. But then he wakes up in the middle of the night freaked out and then I have to open it again and leave it open. Or, like last night, he must have woken up and opened it himself in the middle of the night, because it was open when I woke up.

or maybe the thing he's afraid of opened it... duh.

3 year old waking up every night with "night terrors"

last night it was a "witch"

night before, an "alligator"

So when you have kids do you weigh them like every couple of weeks or something?

Back