• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Need some good last-minute Mother's Day ideas for grandmas. Would rather do something homemade/personal than flowers or something like that.

This looked cute and not too hard:

kidpresent_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of this, but probably couldn't get my act together in time:

footprint-love-canvas.jpg

re: balance bikes, I do think they are valuable in learning how to balance, but they are completely unnecessary.

We forgot to get one for my son's birthday one year, so we held off until the following Christmas and got him a bike with training wheels. I figured we were in for a hell of a time training him, but it took him about two weeks to figure it out and be rid of the training wheels. And in the meantime, when he was too big for a tricycle and too small to really ride, he could still use the bike as a bigger tricycle, essentially.

YMMV, but we never had balance bikes growing up and never had a problem. Just one more thing to have in your garage and your kids outgrow, unless you add pedals later. Alternatively, buy a normal bike and take the pedals off to learn balance.

I was hanging out with so many kids yesterday, I think a balance bike was involved -- Say Hey's kid was shredding it. I think a single mom kind of wanted me, she was pretty attractive but probably not my type.

The Squirrel is officially pulling up and almost cruising. We'll see if he's walking before our trip to Chicago (June) or the beach (July).

Last edited:
We've got one of these, Firstbike, and the Boy loves it:

FirstBIKE_USA_-_FirstBIKE_Balance_Bike.jpg

DeaconDeuse69's kid had a balance bike for a year and then got on a normal bike with pedals and no training wheels and was like a little motherfucking TJ Lavin on that thing from minute one, so from that observation, they seem to be effective.

We picked up a ZUM balance bike for kid #2 at a consignment sale for $15 and it was awesome. She rode more because it was lighter than a bike with training wheels, so when she was 3, hills were easier. Skipped training wheels altogether. Absolutely not a necessity, but our younger 2 kids really enjoyed it and it they did transition to a real bike more easily than our oldest.

Need some good last-minute Mother's Day ideas for grandmas. Would rather do something homemade/personal than flowers or something like that.

This looked cute and not too hard:

kidpresent_thumb.jpg

So I realize no one responded to this, and probably no one else cares. But if you are looking for a relatively easy, cheap, and cute Mother's Day present (either for mom or grandma), we did something similar to this last night and it turned out well. Got some potholders from the grocery store (would've been even cheaper from Bed Bath and Beyond or Dollar Store I bet) and used some fabric paint we already have.

We did dollar store candy dishes, colored on with sharpies and baked in the oven to set one year, that worked out awesome. This year I just did cards (and small gifts for my mom and Matt's mom). I love the potholders, but it's too late now, but I will file it away for the future.

Does everyone do gifts from kids to grandparents? I was thinking about doing something from Squirrel but it's Mothers Day, not Grandmothers Day...

Does everyone do gifts from kids to grandparents? I was thinking about doing something from Squirrel but it's Mothers Day, not Grandmothers Day...

It's not Wife's Day but I'm getting my wife a present because she's the mother of my children. Why wouldn't your children get the mother of their mother a gift?

Honestly, I think it's easier to get something from the Bug for the grandmas than from me/us. I'd rather give a photo, craft, drawing, etc, than flowers or trying to come up with some new gift like that. But that's just my thinking.

It's not Wife's Day but I'm getting my wife a present because she's the mother of my children. Why wouldn't your children get the mother of their mother a gift?

Because I'm getting her something, since she's my mother.

Honestly, I think it's easier to get something from the Bug for the grandmas than from me/us. I'd rather give a photo, craft, drawing, etc, than flowers or trying to come up with some new gift like that. But that's just my thinking.

Yeah, I was thinking, "man I need to start using this kid!" but then just thought it seemed weird for him to "give" her anything anyway.

Hey guys! AWAR said we're off the hook for getting our wives Mother's Day gifts!

It makes a little more sense to get your wife a gift, especially if your kids are too young to make one alone. My parents don't get each other gifts for Mothers/Fathers Day, though.

If we're just thanking everyone for being parents, do grandparents give their kids gifts for parenting the grandkids? This is my first Mothers Day so maybe I've just been missing out on a smorgasbord of gift giving.

obviously I do something for my mom, and i'll wish my grandma a happy mothers day... just like I wish any mom a happy mothers day... but i only do card/gift for my mom.
that said, if/when i've got kiddos i'll probably incorporate them into the equation because it's kind of like "look, you were an incredible mom and now you've given me the tools to mother this little munchkin."

that's just how i think about it, though. i don't recall ever doing anything for my grandma when i was growing up.

I think my mom got me something for my first mother's day as kind of a "welcome to the club" thing, but hasn't since then. I figure both for the reasons ladydeac mentioned and because we don't celebrate grandparents day, it's nice to choose a day of the year the I honor not just my mom, but my grandmother both for being moms, but also grandmothers and great grandmothers. It makes sense to me to do that on mothers day. :noidea:

Using the kid because it's an easier idea makes the most sense to me. I'm def doing that for birthdays.

See and for me, since not everyone's birthdays come at the same time, I can usually come up with a birthday gift but since we have my mom, my MIL, my step-mom, my grandmother, my step-grandmother all on Mother's day, it's easiest to choose a craft and go with it.

Back