• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

yo, enlightened collective, do any of you have something like this for your kid? I was going to build my daughter a step stool to wash hands and so forth but saw these tower things and thought it might be cool. They seem a little over-large and maybe over kill, though

f7937f5d23ee2f72e1ef7afcf82a245d.jpg

So...we have both foldable step stools and a foldable tower like this. Now that the Bug is 4 and taller, she mostly uses the step stool to wash hands, help with stuff at the counter, etc. However, when she was younger, we used the tower all the time. Now it's folded up in the corner waiting for little brother to be old enough to want to use it.

Ours is basically like this (I can't remember where got it from but looks like a few places sell it):

kitchen-helper-stand-1.jpg

We debated whether it was worth the cost to get the foldable one, but since we live in a city row house on the smaller side, figured it was worth being able to stash it easier.

I'm very excited for when the Kids get taller and we don't have fucking step stools taking up space in our bathrooms.

I'm very excited for when the Kids get taller and we don't have fucking step stools taking up space in our bathrooms.

We have like 3 of these things. One in the kitchen, one in one of the bathrooms, and one in a bedroom. We basically stash them next to the sinks / trash cans. They're great.

Recall.2012.12171.12171b.jpg

Take them out or they start putting their feet on them when they poop.

We have like 3 of these things. One in the kitchen, one in one of the bathrooms, and one in a bedroom. We basically stash them next to the sinks / trash cans. They're great.

Recall.2012.12171.12171b.jpg

we've got one of these in the kitchen for PM daughter to help out with cooking (and reaching the sink faucet in the kitchen). it's great.

We've got a friend with a tower and the little dude LOOOOVES it (plus, he's way too wobbly and tried to reach for too much for a basic step stool to be safe enough).

Take them out or they start putting their feet on them when they poop.

Aren’t you SUPPOSED to have your feet on a firm surface to do this? We’re having issues with potty training for that function and most advice includes making sure they use a child’s toilet or a stool so their feet aren’t dangling. #oops in advance if I missed a joke.

Leebs! We have the same step stools! Fellas, don’t get that stupid tower crap. Nerds. Ole meeje is great for kiddos though because these fellas tend to be small so counters and toilets and such are often lower than expected. My kids toilet, original to house, is a bit low so when I take a dump there I often have that elevator/stair moment like woah I’m gonna fall down! Then my butt hits the seat like oh yeah, short fellas, let’s drop this deuce! Meeje!

We have stepstools all over the place now, but instead of washing hands my kid just picks them up and carries them to other counters to pull stuff off we don't want her to have. Pure evil.

Boy has kinda been weirdly afraid of the dark this week, waking up and wanting night lights on, etc. Been wondering where this came from, and apparently he told Wife this morning that when he was babysat by neighbor teenager last weekend, babysitter showed him the trailer from IT with the scary clown in the sewer? WTF?

Boy has kinda been weirdly afraid of the dark this week, waking up and wanting night lights on, etc. Been wondering where this came from, and apparently he told Wife this morning that when he was babysat by neighbor teenager last weekend, babysitter showed him the trailer from IT with the scary clown in the sewer? WTF?

Have you tested your babysitter? My kid is getting older by the day but I test his babysitters for various maladies every day. It doesn't matter how they seem. Be better than your family. Rise above it.

whaaaaat? that's messed up.

My wife has a business event in Vegas next weekend, which means my seven month old son and I will be left to fend for ourselves. Any good suggestions on where to stay, or places that would be interesting for a kid that young? Staying in a hotel room for hours on end surely means one or both of us will be screaming our heads off.

My wife has a business event in Vegas next weekend, which means my seven month old son and I will be left to fend for ourselves. Any good suggestions on where to stay, or places that would be interesting for a kid that young? Staying in a hotel room for hours on end surely means one or both of us will be screaming our heads off.

That sounds terrible.

IDK... Take a lot of walks? At that young, it's not like you can even really do a park/playground.

I had to do something similar at a more rural resort. It sucked. A lot of time in the room. An occasional walk. A few meals in on-site restaurants where I was just trying to keep her quiet.

Why are you going with her ? Why not just stay home ?

i had do that a couple times when the wife had conferences, once when ITCbaby was 2 mo (Santa Fe) and 11 months (Honolulu). we spent a lot of time walking around with kid in stroller and when she'd nap i'd go to museums or take her back to the room and read. the pool seems like a no-brainer. is there a zoo in Vegas?

i actually enjoyed it because I generally didn't get to spend as much time with her. But yeah, lots of walking. Also good training for taking her into restaurants by myself

Last edited:
Back