• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Photography Thread

KickballDeac

Bernie Eskimo Bro
Reaction score
The deadline isn't until Nov. 30, but they've begun compiling and releasing some of the submissions. Definitely worth a scroll-through:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/09/national-geographic-photo-contest-2012/100373/

s_n01_butterfl.jpg

s_n04_yosemite.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, thanks for posting. The lightning one in the Keys was absurd.

Ugh, hate that they killed it. I love leopards.

Can you guys help me... I don't know how to link a picture from that article. How do you find the URL for an individual picture.

No grey scale I guess? Would expect the background to still have some shade of black/white.

I think w/ a light enough blue sky that wouldn't matter. Do they allow post-processing in this comp?

Found the rules. You can do some basic stuff in photoshop. It wouldn't be too hard to get a basically white looking sky from a black and white photo using these guidelines:

Please submit photographs that are un-manipulated and real, and that capture those special moments in time. The world is already full of visual artifice, and we don’t want the National Geographic Photography Contest to add to it. We want to see the world through your eyes, not the tools of Photoshop or setup photography.
Please do not digitally enhance or alter your photographs (beyond the basics needed to achieve realistic color balance and sharpness). If you have digitally added or removed anything, please don't submit the shot. We look at every photo to see if it's authentic, and if we find that yours is in any way deceptive, we'll disqualify it. In case of the winners, we will ask for the RAW files, if available, to be submitted for review.
DODGING AND BURNING: Dodging (to brighten shadows) or burning (to darken highlights) is fine, but please don’t overdo it. Your goal in using digital darkroom techniques should be to adjust the dynamic tonal range of an image so that it more closely resembles what you saw.
COLOR SATURATION: Just as with dodging and burning, your goal should be to make it real. Please avoid significant over- or under-saturation. A lot of photographers make the mistake of over-saturating color, making their images look cartoonish.
SOLARIZATION, MEZZOTINT, DUOTONE, ETC.: These are discouraged as being too gimmicky. There are a myriad of alteration "filters" available in digital photo software; try not to be swayed to use them. They may be cool and fun, but they won’t help you in this contest.
BLACK-AND-WHITE IMAGES: Acceptable
CROPPING: Acceptable
STITCHED PANORAMAS: NOT Acceptable
HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR) IMAGES: NOT Acceptable
FISH-EYE LENSES: Unless used underwater, they are NOT acceptable.

the white bird is stunning.

re: saturation. some of those photos over-did it (crater lake, snow trekking)

I wonder how much they tampered with the background here. Still a beautiful morning shot.
s_n50_lakebrun.jpg

This is from one of my favorite series of photographs, based on the New York subway. They were taken by Bruce Davidson back in the early 80s. The story behind this one is that after getting mugged he decided to travel with a couple undercover cops and act as a tourist. So he had a camera around his neck and was reading a map, etc. Anyway, the guy with the gun pulled on him tried to rob him. The guy with the gun is an undercover cop.
1234992420.jpg

Back