• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's Film Discussion Thread

Thought Apollo 18 was one of the worst films I've ever seen...Rise of The Planet of the Apes was pretty watchable...

Maybe you can help me out. I didn't really get the upshot of the movie other than some sort of "life is absurd" truism. The cinematography was really good.

Maybe you can help me out. I didn't really get the upshot of the movie other than some sort of "life is absurd" truism. The cinematography was really good.

Been about a year since I've seen it, but I remember it delving into issues of family pretty in depth, and my favorite point of view to look at it from is as an assault on religion. It really shows how a child's mind can be warped, and that in turn deals with the family elements where the parents have absolute control over how their children will be brought up, and thus they can mold their childs brain anyway they want to. Obviously the family in the movie is an extreme example of this, but I think it really deals with that issue well. That, and the movie is just so damn polarizing in how bizarre it is. I think that's the kind of satire that sticks out to me the most, the movies that are so out there that it takes some deep analysis to really figure out what they are trying to get at. I hadn't gotten that from a filmmaker since Bunuel, so I was really impressed with it.

The batch of movies coming out this weekend in wide release are all "fresh" to this point on Rotten Tomatoes:

- Chronicle (88%)
- Big Miracle (69%)
- The Woman In Black (69%)

I didn't have a ton of interest in seeing Chronicle, but the reviews all make it sound pretty terrific. And Vince from Friday Night Lights is one of the superhero kids, so that's always a plus.

Pumped for Chronicle.

I'd be pumped for Safe House if Ryan Reynolds wasn't in a lead role.

I didn't have a ton of interest in seeing Chronicle, but the reviews all make it sound pretty terrific. And Vince from Friday Night Lights is one of the superhero kids, so that's always a plus.

WHERE'S WALLACE STRING? WHERE WALLACE AT?

IDK OFF MOVING CARS WITH HIS MIND OR SOMETHINGLOL.

"Man, I ain't believin' that shit about Bonham's one-hour drum solo, man. I mean, one hour on drums? You couldn't handle that shit on strong acid, man."

When George would come in from the fields, Martha would have a big fat bowl just waitin for him.

The best new movies I've seen in the last few months are:

Another Earth (B+)
50/50 (B+)
Drive (A-)
The Ides of March (A)
The Muppets (B+)
Moneyball (B+)
Hugo (A+)
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (A-)
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (B+)
and The Grey (A).

Recent movies I thought would be better:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (B) (would have been a better TV mini-series)
The Adventures of Tintin (B) (Cool story bro, but Tintin is uninteresting)

The Worst Movies I've seen recently:

Apollo 18 (C-)
Dream House (F)
The Dilemma (D)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (C-)[/QUOTE]

I give it an A (for a summer movie)

Agreed - I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was great.

I loved every minute of The Artist. Especially loved the nods at Singin' in the Rain and Sunset Boulevard. Beautiful movie.

Watched Dogtooth (again) last night at this thread's behest. Very good film. A thinker, that one.

Watched Drive last night and I have mixed feelings. I thought the script was weak in parts, but the acting was excellent. I'm really surprised Gosling didn't get a Best Actor nomination. I also really liked the throwback deliberate pacing and extra long cuts they used. Additionally, the use of music was outstanding.

On the other hand, they seemed to be trying a bit too hard with the retro feel and it felt forced to me. Artsy for the sake of being artsy if you will.

I'm geeking out--sitting in the theater getting ready to watch Star Wars Episode I in 3D. Surprisingly, my wife and daughter didin't want to come. Probably 80% males in here. Most of the females have kind of a "hostage" look on their faces.

Watched: The Descendants, Chronicle, The Woman in Black, and Anonymous last week

The Descendants (A) was great. I thought it was acted superbly, and it hit all the emotional keys, without being melodramatic or sappy. George Clooney is bawse.

Chronicle (B) was different. It is a first (I think) for super hero "found footage", and for multiple characters sharing the same origin story. The writing is pretty bad, and the acting is hammy. The characters are bad stereotypes. The effects are really good, the camera work is good, and the storyline itself is pretty interesting and intense.

The Woman in Black (C+) was a decent period horror movie. The locations, actors, and set pieces are very interesting and authentic looking. The Marsh looks creepy and surreal, and the house is the scariest part of the movie. Radcliffe is hard to imagine as anyone else besides Harry Potter, but he does a good job, even though he looks like a 17 year old with his first beard. The effects in this movie are decent, but the story itself takes way too long to develop, there are very few legit scares, and the end of the movie is unsatisfying at best. It takes 90 minutes for the plot to develop, and then it's concluded in 20 minutes.

Anonymous (B) was very entertaining. The story is not believable at all, but taken as historical fiction, it's great. It's acted very well, the story is interesting, but there is almost no "action", it's a talking piece. The Globe Theater is very impressive looking. I really liked this movie, but I can see why other people wouldn't.

Safe House was very predictable. Clearly the studio is trying to make Ryan Reynolds into Jason Bourne lite. I don't see it happening.

Back