• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's Film Discussion Thread

I'm not a huge fan of Baz Luhrmann films so I'm not that pumped The Great Gatsby. And although I like most of the cast I also hate Tobey Maguire.

Django Unchained should be great though... kind of a American Deep South version of Inglorious Basterds but with slave owners instead of Nazis.

I'm not a huge fan of Baz Luhrmann films so I'm not that pumped The Great Gatsby. And although I like most of the cast I also hate Tobey Maguire.

Django Unchained should be great though... kind of a American Deep South version of Inglorious Basterds but with slave owners instead of Nazis.
Only reason I'll see Gatsby is because of the cast. Luhrmann is kind of a dumbass, and I don't really recall liking any of his movies. Leo DiCaprio fans will have a field day on christmas though.

on snap, i didn't realize that luhrmann also did romeo + juliet. i loved that movie. actually, i don't really remember if i loved that movie or not, but i do remember getting a high school hando while watching it in 10th grade with some chick who loved it.

i've never seen moulin rouge but my wife went on a tear playing that soundtrack continuously for several weeks a few years back, so i feel like i've seen it.

Stumbled upon this today: James Cameron's responses to Aliens critics, from 1992. I enjoyed reading it.

:geek:

I actually just watched the first 3 Alien films in the last week or so (randomly decided to watch them) and the version I have already included the mom/pop surveyors given the coordinates and the colony manager explaining it.

Was that scene not included in the cut version?

How did it go in the cut/released version?

I actually just watched the first 3 Alien films in the last week or so (randomly decided to watch them) and the version I have already included the mom/pop surveyors given the coordinates and the colony manager explaining it.

Was that scene not included in the cut version?

How did it go in the cut/released version?

My DVD version contains the theatrical cut and the director's cut (I assume this includes the surveyor scene), but I have never watched the director's cut. It seems like it'd be a pretty important/interesting scene to include, though. As far as I can remember, the "situation" with the colonists was simply explained to Ripley (and us) by the douchey Weyland-Yutani guy and the lieutenant who try to recruit her to help investigate. I think we're just meant to assume that the colonists arrived, stumbled upon the eggs in the derelict ship, and yadda yadda yadda.

I thought it was really cool of Cameron to emphasize that he was a hardcore fan of Alien and didn't simply want to rehash Ridley Scott's work.

Guess I'm watching Aliens this week :D

Last edited:
Saw "Take Shelter" over the weekend with Michael Shannon and found it pretty good. Was hoping to read some online discussion of it, particularly the ending, but haven't found much.

Saw thee tree of life last weekend. I did not love it. 2* on Netflix.

I felt similarly about it. During the wedding, Dunst's character made me want to reach through the screen and slap her, but her role was clearly reversed with Gainesbourg's halfway through to where Dunst became almost likeable, while Gainesbourg's Claire became insufferable. It was very interesting to see how a severely depressed person could lose their shit at a cliche wedding, but could calmly handle the end of the world. I think the 10 minutes of the slow-mo arthouse crap could be cut from the beginning of the film and it would have been a much tighter, gripping narrative.

I think Dunst character is either a sociopath or at least bipolar (if not both). Thus, as normal life starts to unravel, she is able to handle catastrophe more than the rational Claire. Talking about the movie with a friend, he said regarding the scene with the "cave" at the end, (paraphrasing here) Dunst was someone who probably built magic caves in her mind before, a coping mechanism for someone who can't interact with the world properly.

Yeah, depressed people generally remain more calm during stressful situations purportedly because they already expect the worst to come. I remember reading that Lars Von Trier specifically wrote this trait into Justine's character for the second part. Good take on the cave scene.

went with hangover 2 and rise of POTA. both were fair, about what i expected.

Finally got around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm such a Daniel Craig fanboy.

Wasn't exactly happy with the plot changes at the end, but I understand them being necessary.

I've been on an animation kick lately. All kinds--shorts, anime series, web series, and catching up on movies. I saw The Pirates! last night and loved it. I believe it was Aardman Animation's (who brought us Wallace & Gromit) first stop-motion project since their studio burned down around the time when Flushed Away was finishing up. Besides recalling a sentimental favorite of mine in Muppet Treasure Island, this one was actually consistently funny and clever, with tons of subtleties that appealed to my science nerd side. Great soundtrack too, including an impeccable placement of "I'm Not Crying" by Flight of the Conchords.

Finally got around to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm such a Daniel Craig fanboy.

Wasn't exactly happy with the plot changes at the end, but I understand them being necessary.

If you like Daniel Craig then don't watch "Dream House". It's the worst theater movie I've seen in years, right up there with "Little Fockers".

I watched "My Perestroika" last night. I have a hard time judging whether I enjoyed it so much because I don't know that much about Russia or whether it would be just as interesting to someone very familiar with the late Soviet period to the present. Either way, I would highly recommend it to Americans for a glimpse into the lives of some average Russians who came of age during the fall of the Soviet Union.

Bump. Read this review in Slant yesterday about The Artist, and my boy Calum Marsh (also a great music journalist for CMG) has my back:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/review/the-artist/2343

I remember getting into it with WakeFanatic about this one, and most people jumping down my throat for making almost exactly this argument:

"The Artist is positively harmless. Perhaps just enough time has passed since the whirlwind of awards season (and the requisite heckling it inspires) that we may now watch the film with a degree of the clean-slate innocence its charming naïvete requires, which means that we may be free to enjoy the film as the lighthearted comedy it was always intended to be. Because we ought to remember that, for all its wistfully nostalgic posturing, The Artist isn't a particularly serious work; approaching it with utter seriousness yourself, therefore, all but guarantees disappointment. As the film's detractors have so often declared, its silent-film framework is nothing more—and I'd add, nothing less—than a simple gimmick. But of course it is, as that's the sort of thing novelty acts do, and all things considered, The Artist does it pretty well."

Anyway, I also saw Prometheus last week, and since there's already a thread on it, I will go ahead and thank the Pit for lowering my expectations so I could enjoy it all the more. I expected there to be a ton of loose ends, but I thought it was well done. Not ground-breaking or next-level like I initially expected before reviews started coming out, but also a really beautifully shot film. Also, a beheaded Michael Fassbender was still a better actor than the rest of the cast, perhaps Charlize aside.

Saw "Take Shelter" over the weekend with Michael Shannon and found it pretty good. Was hoping to read some online discussion of it, particularly the ending, but haven't found much.

Did you ever find anything? I have my theories on the ending and would love to hear what you think.

Back