• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's Film Discussion Thread

Just finished this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Joe_(film)

Wild flick. Big flop in the US, most likely because of the NC-17 rating. Pretty intense. Not sure I dug it as much as the writer/director duo's last work, Bug (2006).

Gonna try to track down This is Not a Film. Got it rec'd from a film buff friend.

I was excited about seeing Killer Joe. The combination of Friedkin, McConaughey and Church made it very enticing. Then I saw the movie. It's was very disappointing and extremely heavy handed.

It wasn't a flop because of NC-17. It was a flop because it was bad.

I was excited about seeing Killer Joe. The combination of Friedkin, McConaughey and Church made it very enticing. Then I saw the movie. It's was very disappointing and extremely heavy handed.

It wasn't a flop because of NC-17. It was a flop because it was bad.
RT would beg to differ. 77% of critics liked it, and 73% of the audience liked it. The widest it ever got was 75 theaters. It's #11 all time among NC-17 releases. It was most definitely because of the NC-17 that it made so little.

It was just really weird. I can't buy Church as a good actor. I guess he did well as the dunce dad, which isn't terribly far off from other roles I've seen him in, but it was just bizarre. I enjoyed the ending though. Very well done. Also, whoever the DP was did a pretty amazing job.

It was just really weird. I can't buy Church as a good actor. I guess he did well as the dunce dad, which isn't terribly far off from other roles I've seen him in, but it was just bizarre. I enjoyed the ending though. Very well done. Also, whoever the DP was did a pretty amazing job.
I haven't seen it yet, so no judgment here on the quality. Some people who's opinion I value very highly have it as one of the best movies of the year, so I'm looking forward to watching it. I have heard how incredibly out there it is, and how polarizing it is, so I understand the negative reactions.

I like weird and different, but I didn't like this movie at all.

I like the movie but find Pitt distractingly bad. I usually like him too.

Wo rly?

Didn't he win best supporting actor?

I was gonna come post that he was awesome. Bruce Willis is sorta same old Bruce Willis. Does he get the shit beat out of him in every movie he's ever made?

Anyway, great film. Was almost expecting weirder based on the other Gilliam flicks I've seen.

I love The Fisher King but don't care for Fear and Loathing or Brazil. Maybe I need to give Brazil another go, a lot of people love it.

12 Monkeys is pretty rad man. I thought Pitt was awesome in it. But then again, I think McConaughey is the greatest actor of our generation. If you havent seen Surfer, Dude go ahead and make that happen. Get stoned first, of course.

12 Monkeys gets a lot of hype from sci-fi fans, but I didn't like it. I think it and The Fifth Element are both overrated and too silly.

Anyone ever seen City of god? For some reason, ive always wanted to see this film.

Yeah, it's really good. It's basically a coming of age crime drama set in a slum. Just keep in mind that it's subtitled, a lot of people can't handle that for some reason.

I finally saw Days of Heaven for the first time and ultimately found it disappointing. I wanted to be amazed so badly by it and early on I thought it was shaping up to be a truly special movie. The train scene below, in the beginning of the film, is so beautifully constructed. However, it simply was not a believable story.

Bill convinces Abby to go along with the plot in about two minutes. And the farmer has no clue until the traveling circus flies in? And wasn't the timeframe of the first half only 6 months to a year? In that time Abby falls out of love with Bill and in love with the farmer (things are stable for a year with Bill's absence), but then goes on the run with Bill and sis when he returns and kills her husband. Then she's pretty shaken up over Bill's death. I don't buy it.

I think it's a rare example of a movie that needed to be longer than its fairly compact 94 minutes.

Still need to see Badlands.

Back