• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's Film Discussion Thread

I saw Promised Land last week. Gus Van Sant did a beautiful job of presenting a very mundane picture. It was a watered down version of Michael Clayton. If you don't want to see a movie with a very defined political statement, don't go to see this movie.

Matt Damon does a good job, but his role is totally predictable. There's only one minor twist, but it was easy to see coming.

It's a very average movie

I understand the controversy that Zero Dark Thirty is going to stir in regard to torture, and I'm not sure I'm even interested in tackling those issues... but purely as a movie, what a gripping flick. The final set piece is perfectly done.

Several folks on the movie trailer thread said they were interested in Movie 43. Fair warning - it's getting reviews as bad as any I've ever seen. 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, trending down from the 5% I saw yesterday. I saw some of the Hugh Jackman/Kate Winslet skit and I can't imagine the dirt the producers must have on those 2, so beneath them. My new rule of thumb: If the Farralley name is attached to a movie, stay the hell away, a lesson I should have learned years ago.

Several folks on the movie trailer thread said they were interested in Movie 43. Fair warning - it's getting reviews as bad as any I've ever seen. 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, trending down from the 5% I saw yesterday. I saw some of the Hugh Jackman/Kate Winslet skit and I can't imagine the dirt the producers must have on those 2, so beneath them. My new rule of thumb: If the Farralley name is attached to a movie, stay the hell away, a lesson I should have learned years ago.

They've made some stinkers of late (although Hall Pass and Heartbreak Kid are underrated), but they've also made some absolute classics. But this Movie 43 just looks painful.

Saw Skyfall finally. Great simple plotted movie. Revenge movie.

Got away from the Bourne complex layers trend.

Basically a story about mommy and her two sons.

RIP Dame Judy.

Just finished The Squid and the Whale. Hard to like any of the characters. Hard to watch. Good story though.

The year 2000 had the following movies, among others:

Almost Famous
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
You Can Count On Me
Traffic
Erin Brockovich
Wonder Boys
Gladiator

That's a sneaky great year.

Almost Famous
You Can Count On Me
Traffic
Erin Brockovich
Wonder Boys
Gladiator

It's no 1995.

Almost Famous
You Can Count On Me
Traffic
Erin Brockovich
Wonder Boys
Gladiator

American Psycho
Best in Show
Memento
Requiem for a Dream
Snatch
Remember the Titans
High Fidelity

Shit, didn't even think about Best in Show and High Fidelity. Or Memento. I would also throw in Meet the Parents.

Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies of all time

Love Squid and the Whale, and Elephant is tremendous.

2000 was a very good year. Love some of the ones mentioned. Any other fans of George Washington or Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai?

Went back and looked at my favorite movies that year and they were:

Almost Famous
Best in Show
High Fidelity
You Can Count on Me
Wonder Boys
Traffic
Thirteen Days (completely forgot about this movie)
Nurse Betty (this one too)
Cast Away
Chicken Run

with honorable mentions Erin Brockovich, Meet the Parents, Billy Elliot, Oh Brother, and Gladiator

Hadn't seen Crouching Tiger, but that would've been way up there.

Really, that is a sick year for movies.

Love Squid and the Whale, and Elephant is tremendous.

2000 was a very good year. Love some of the ones mentioned. Any other fans of George Washington or Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai?

Yeah, I dug Ghost Dog.

Back