• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

Harris Teeter has these “fuel points” you get for buying groceries that get you get you discounts on gas. They have commercials where they explain the program but in the whole dialogue every time a normal person would say “gas” they use the word “fuel” instead. Wtf teeter no one says “fuel” when talking about getting gas for their car, stop making your actors talk like idiot google translate robots.

I like using my boomer level trick of shouting “Representative” at the bot which gets me through to the human operator queue and skipping that stuff.

Oh hell yes. Nothing entertains my kids more than when I start shouting OPERATOR into the phone.

On a related note: the little fake typing sounds that AT&T’s automated service makes. As if I believe someone is typing.

All of these companies should have a tech rating system where I take a quiz and am rated anywhere from “tech idiot” to “tech genius.” My rating would drive the questions asked. For example, don’t tell me to unplug the modem and wait for 20 seconds because I already k ow to do that.

I like using my boomer level trick of shouting “Representative” at the bot which gets me through to the human operator queue and skipping that stuff.

UPS just plays an increasingly snarky message saying you need to provide your tracking number first. After 5 or 6 times they just hang up the call.

Also when you’re on hold for customer service and they keep playing a message saying like “did you know many tasks can be accomplished online?” when you’re calling about something that definitely can’t be handled on their website.

Right. That should be reserved for level one morons who actually could have their problems solved online. If only they could use the internet

When gas stations pumps don’t have that thing that holds the pump open.

Tack on the gas stations that either don't have a squeegee setup or don't bother cleaning the liquid so you end up "cleaning" your windshield with gray water.

Harris Teeter has these “fuel points” you get for buying groceries that get you get you discounts on gas. They have commercials where they explain the program but in the whole dialogue every time a normal person would say “gas” they use the word “fuel” instead. Wtf teeter no one says “fuel” when talking about getting gas for their car, stop making your actors talk like idiot google translate robots.

Bet their marketing folks insisted fuel sounded better than gas, since you don't really want a lot of gas from food you buy at the grocery store...

I guess fuel includes gas and diesel. Does HT offer diesel? Don't think I've seen a HT with a gas pump, but I don't live in the #Incline.

I guess fuel includes gas and diesel. Does HT offer diesel? Don't think I've seen a HT with a gas pump, but I don't live in the #Incline.

Yes this
to expand a little bit, the "gas stations" as is the vernacular in the US are more appropriately fueling stations. That fuel just happens to be gasoline or diesel, but is changing and in 20 years who knows (electric, hydrogen, gas, diesel, CNG)
There is also at least an unwritten rule (maybe it's an actual rule) in the energy sector about not referring to gasoline as gas

Yes this
to expand a little bit, the "gas stations" as is the vernacular in the US are more appropriately fueling stations. That fuel just happens to be gasoline or diesel, but is changing and in 20 years who knows (electric, hydrogen, gas, diesel, CNG)
There is also at least an unwritten rule (maybe it's an actual rule) in the energy sector about not referring to gasoline as gas

That’s fine if the technical terminology is “fuel.” However in real life no one says the word fuel so as a result wedging it into dialogue sounds stupid. Hence the peeve.

Slightly related but I feel like the whole computer system at the pump is jacked at like 90% of stations. The minute something goes awry you get the "please see attendant" instead of just being able to start over. Then of course you walk in and there's a line and it's an annoying process to just get them to reset the whole transaction.

Back