• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Players

why the hate for Johnny Miller? I'm too young to know his history much beyond his US Open record and his battles with the yips late in his career, but I find his honesty refreshing. Too many of the announcers act like every shot the players hit is fantastic. Johnny gives the insight as a world class player into the highest level of the game, which adds a lot to my enjoyment of the broadcast. Better than Gary McCord who makes stupid jokes and acts like a retard the entire broadcast.

why the hate for Johnny Miller? I'm too young to know his history much beyond his US Open record and his battles with the yips late in his career, but I find his honesty refreshing. Too many of the announcers act like every shot the players hit is fantastic. Johnny gives the insight as a world class player into the highest level of the game, which adds a lot to my enjoyment of the broadcast. Better than Gary McCord who makes stupid jokes and acts like a retard the entire broadcast.

He acts like everything that a player does is so bad and he could have done better. Every player will "likely" choke when they come down the stretch and not be able to handle the pressure. Every player makes awful decisions when coming down the stretch, even if they pull the shots off. It's just atrocious how single-minded and arrogant he is.

He really thinks that he can hit every single shot, or knows everything about what should happen in a golf round. It is just infuriating. There is a reason that nobody likes him and he is not welcome in the golf locker room.

He acts like everything that a player does is so bad and he could have done better. Every player will "likely" choke when they come down the stretch and not be able to handle the pressure. Every player makes awful decisions when coming down the stretch, even if they pull the shots off. It's just atrocious how single-minded and arrogant he is.

He really thinks that he can hit every single shot, or knows everything about what should happen in a golf round. It is just infuriating. There is a reason that nobody likes him and he is not welcome in the golf locker room.

This is so out of touch it makes your Buzz commentary seem sane. Miller never acts like he can do better. He knows choking because he's done it, just like every human who has ever played the game. He doesn't even talk about it very often - it's just that it stands out when he does because not one other announcer will ever utter one word of criticism about a player. He also offers a lot more praise for great play than the narrow minded observer realizes. He's the best announcer there is and always a good reason to watch a tournament.

What I like about Miller is you still get the sense that he would kill to be out there competing. Not for money, trophies but for the total love of the game.

Johnny Miller is a fantastic analyst. He's paid to analyze the tournament and not be a cheerleader. To say he's not "popular" in the clubhouse underscores you really don't know what you're talking about. His job is not to be popular. His job is to analyze and provide his professional insight to the tournament.

His comment today "It's surprising to see a 44 year old make that putt"

Why is that Johnny? Are 44 year olds predisposed to miss a 20 foot putt? I mean there are plenty of things you can say about Toms in that situation on 18 "you don't expect a 44 year old to be here", but why wouldn't you expect a 44 year old to make a 20 foot putt? Maybe I missed what he was saying.

He comes across like Alex Trebek to me, it's easy when you're not out there trying to answer the questions/win the tournament.

Why is that Johnny? Are 44 year olds predisposed to miss a 20 foot putt? I mean there are plenty of things you can say about Toms in that situation on 18 "you don't expect a 44 year old to be here", but why wouldn't you expect a 44 year old to make a 20 foot putt? Maybe I missed what he was saying.

He comes across like Alex Trebek to me, it's easy when you're not out there trying to answer the questions/win the tournament.

You really don't get that? Do you follow or play golf at all?

...Yeah I play golf and watch golf all the time and I see plenty of 44 year olds pouring in putts from all over the place. Obviously the insinuation was that at that age and what he's gone through you might not expect him to make it, but I don't really understand with regards to putting what the issue is.

I can see why you wouldn't expect people IN GENERAL to make it, but I don't see what being 44 versus being 25 has to do with it other than a 44 year old might be more cognizant of what is at stake. Maybe that was Johnny's point.

I stand by my previous statements. His lack of popularity with the players (if true) tells me he's calling them out when he should, and they'd prefer he not. He has an amazing grasp of and love for the game of golf.

I stand by my previous statements. His lack of popularity with the players (if true) tells me he's calling them out when he should, and they'd prefer he not. He has an amazing grasp of and love for the game of golf.

My wife says she just doesn't care for him b/c he always looks like he just smelled a fart.
So there's one expert opinion in the anti-Johnny column.

This is so out of touch it makes your Buzz commentary seem sane. Miller never acts like he can do better. He knows choking because he's done it, just like every human who has ever played the game. He doesn't even talk about it very often - it's just that it stands out when he does because not one other announcer will ever utter one word of criticism about a player. He also offers a lot more praise for great play than the narrow minded observer realizes. He's the best announcer there is and always a good reason to watch a tournament.

This. I also used to like Venturi when he was CBS's analyst. Equal opportunity critics and praisers who call(ed) them like they saw them. And although I mostly like the current CBS team, they really tend to slobber over everybody.

Happy to see Choi win - is a good guy who has often been in major contention - good to see him win a tourney of this stature. Almost the entire top of yesterday's leaderboard was pretty likeable, especially the last group.

It's a pretty common idea in golf that as you get older you stop making as many long putts as you used to. Many older golfers have developed the putting yips or pulled Vijay's and switched putters and grips and tried belly's, etc. Younger players tend to have zero fear. It's happening to Tiger, it happened to Goosen, it happened to Els, Toms, Davis, and countless other guys.

That's what Miller's talking about. If you haven't heard of that concept or don't understand why it makes David Tom's putt all the more amazing on 18 then it's hard to believe you follow the game that much.

It's a pretty common idea in golf that as you get older you stop making as many long putts as you used to. Many older golfers have developed the putting yips or pulled Vijay's and switched putters and grips and tried belly's, etc. Younger players tend to have zero fear. It's happening to Tiger, it happened to Goosen, it happened to Els, Toms, Davis, and countless other guys.

That's what Miller's talking about. If you haven't heard of that concept or don't understand why it makes David Tom's putt all the more amazing on 18 then it's hard to believe you follow the game that much.

+1

Yeah I understand the yips part, I just didn't necessarily think one 20 footer on the 18th hole warranted that comment. I really don't like Miller at the same time though so I'm probably just seeking out things to be critical about.

Back