• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 'price' has gone up !

Agreed.

A good example is Alabama football. Following Gene Stallings retirement in the mid 90s, Alabama went through several coaches, first trying to hire from within with Dubose, then via the "mid major" route with Franchione and Mike Price, and finally back to a family hire of Mike Shula. Their program alternated between above average and terrible for nearly a decade. They never went out and got a superstar coach, until 2006. At that time Nick Saban was a superstar, but given his Dolphins job, required a whole bunch of money to bring in. Alabama signed him to an 8 year deal at 4 million/per. At the time it was an enormous contract for a college coach, so much more than anyone else was making. The rest needs no explanation. Alabama has seen a return on that investment threefold in donations, not to mention on field success and national notoriety, both with athletics as well as improving academic reputation over the last 10 years.

Wake is in a similar position now. The program has been down for a while now. There are two clear cut superstar coaches out there which are obtainable for a price. Those two are about as can't miss slam dunk as you can get. Everyone else on the list has question marks and would be much more of a risk. I would much rather open the checkbook to get Shaka or Marshall here than roll the dice to save 1-1.5 million on someone else.

If I am not mistaken, Bama actually got turned down by Rich Rod before going all in for Saban.

Obligatory, how dare you compare Wake Forest with Alabama. Wake has not done anything in its history when compared to Alabama. A school with national titles in the past can and should be that aggressive. Wake will always be a well-cultured program that tries hard but is not capable of competing with the big boys. [/end LOWF]

But honestly, great post. Wake has enough history and resources that going for the great coach is an achievable goal.

So arguing that Wake Forest Basketball ≠ Alabama Football is LOWF?

So arguing that Wake Forest Basketball ≠ Alabama Football is LOWF?
No, just that anyone who wants to totally disregard a relatively similar circumstance is probably underselling Wake a lot. It's obviously not Alabama (and will not be), but it does have a good basketball history in an elite conference and the infrastructure to compete at an elite level.

He went to the Washington Wizards.

I bet Bzz could get a job in Washington - with the Generals.

images

Obligatory, how dare you compare Wake Forest with Alabama. Wake has not done anything in its history when compared to Alabama. A school with national titles in the past can and should be that aggressive. Wake will always be a well-cultured program that tries hard but is not capable of competing with the big boys. [/end LOWF]

But honestly, great post. Wake has enough history and resources that going for the great coach is an achievable goal.

We've been compared before....................Deacon Blues

Losing to UNC the way we did was really a fulcrum moment, I believe that it is the most important game in the history of our program.

Losing to UNC the way we did was really a fulcrum moment, I believe that it is the most important game in the history of our program.
You mean the kind of moment when all Wake fans go to the window and shout at the top of their lungs: I'm as mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!?!

You don't think the gears were in motion before UNC?

UNC just served to make us more miserable.

Anyone know how much money we have to throw at a new coach? We've got to have the funds to make something happen.

Anyone know how much money we have to throw at a new coach? We've got to have the funds to make something happen.

I imagine with the TV money alone we could make this happen. If I were the AD I would offer Shaka 5 years with $15 million guaranteed and the opportunity to earn up to $25 million through performance incentives.

Given the state of the program there would be more guaranteed money up front. The incentives would be structured such that 3 tournament appearances and a couple of sweet 16's in the last 3 years of the contract would net him ~ $20 million.

I think he would jump at the combination of the challenge/money.

We will get more TV money. But we have lost millions on Bzz and we are still paying for the tower. I'd like to think we could pony up the money for a Shaka but when we are driving off season ticket holders for trying to sell a couple empty seats for $10 they already paid for? What does that tell you about the cash flow? I just don't know.

You would imagine Wellman could get several of the big donors to pony up for the first year and then ride the wave of increased ticket sales, national exposure, and donations that would almost certainly come on the heels of a Shaka hire.

My soon to be unpopular comment:
Bz came here without his previous coaching staff. I'm guessing Wellman made retaining LaRue and Battle a requirement (and eventually adding Childress). I'm thinking if Wellman chooses a coach of some significance they will want to bring their entire staff of coaches along. Any pros / cons of keeping these 3 vs seeing them all leave? I know it's blasphemy to say, and easy to just point a finger at Bz, but I think at least some of the blame of the teams performance has the rest with them too. All 3 are great guys but I think a total clean out would be in order with a new coach.

Your comment is not unpopular at all. At least among fans who aren't AD plants.

Back