• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 'price' has gone up !

My soon to be unpopular comment:
Bz came here without his previous coaching staff. I'm guessing Wellman made retaining LaRue and Battle a requirement (and eventually adding Childress). I'm thinking if Wellman chooses a coach of some significance they will want to bring their entire staff of coaches along. Any pros / cons of keeping these 3 vs seeing them all leave? I know it's blasphemy to say, and easy to just point a finger at Bz, but I think at least some of the blame of the teams performance has the rest with them too. All 3 are great guys but I think a total clean out would be in order with a new coach.

Not an unpopular opinion at all. There are no significant pros to keeping them IMHO, but plenty of cons. The coaching changes needs to be a clean sweep, new coach and new staff.

Forget about Shaka. Marshall was a possibility before Wellman fucked it all up and hired Bzz. But, now that ship has sailed.

If we get a new coach, it will probably be someone we've never considered. From the candidates I've seen listed on this board, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing.

Wellman out.

Despite the frequent opinion that neither Shaka nor Marshall would consider the Wake position, I maintain that these absolutely should be the top two candidates on Wellman's list. He needs to go after them hard, offering every red cent he can muster. There are positive selling points to entice each of these guys.

As fellow alumni, I love Rusty and Childress. If you were at Wake during their years, you simply cannot feel another way. But I am always just so wary of alumni becoming employees of the athletic department. Faculty, not so much. But whether it's Amato or Rich Rod or any of the coaches who went back to their alma maters and left in less than good circumstances really makes me uneasy. I hate to see it. Hell, Rodriguez filed a damn lawsuit against his alma mater. And they responded in kind. Who the hell wants that kind of situation with the issuer of the sheepskin on your wall? Love Rusty and Chill but it may be best for all if they either slide to the back offices at WF or follow their own paths elsewhere. Of course, if it all works out well, so be it. I'm certain there are plenty of stories like that out there. I would just hate to see them get put into a "decision time" situation.

Yep. Plenty alums don't need to work at Wake to be successful in life.

Wellman may hate to get publicly turned down but if we don't get publicly turned down by Marshall or Smart, nobody will buy that the new coach was our best option.

My soon to be unpopular comment:
Bz came here without his previous coaching staff. I'm guessing Wellman made retaining LaRue and Battle a requirement (and eventually adding Childress). I'm thinking if Wellman chooses a coach of some significance they will want to bring their entire staff of coaches along. Any pros / cons of keeping these 3 vs seeing them all leave? I know it's blasphemy to say, and easy to just point a finger at Bz, but I think at least some of the blame of the teams performance has the rest with them too. All 3 are great guys but I think a total clean out would be in order with a new coach.

Unpopular? Why would it be unpopular to want to clear out the worst staff we've ever had? Battle is the only coach on the bench with any record of success, and he's only still here because of circumstances beyond the job. I would expect him to move on regardless of what happens to Buzz.

There needs to be mentions of Marshall and Wake out there. Look at the guy- he's already dressing for the part. Probably drives a Bimmer too.

164460603.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Unpopular? Why would it be unpopular to want to clear out the worst staff we've ever had? Battle is the only coach on the bench with any record of success, and he's only still here because of circumstances beyond the job. I would expect him to move on regardless of what happens to Buzz.

I thought so too, but his son is already in college. I'm fairly sure that Battle feels a deep commitment to the current sophs. He still needs to go with the rest of them, mind, but I don't think he would go voluntarily this spring.

As long as its the new coach's decision, he can name whoever he wants to be on his staff as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Shaka or Marshall decided to hang on to Chill as the third assistant. Now, how Howland would go about assembling a staff would be interesting since he's currently out of the game and his former assistants have moved on to other jobs.

Back