• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quad Got Rolled After Ferguson Grand Jury Decision?

They got us good. Man those college kids really know how to intentionally get under the skin of the PC crowd.

The quad got rolled after the OJ decision. Idiots are idiots.

Somebody also went through all the classrooms in Tribble and wrote "The Juice is Loose" on the blackboard and pulled the projector screen down over it. So at whatever next point the professor went to write something on the board and raised the screen, he/she had to erase OJ. That still cracks me up for no real reason.

I guess the panty waste pc crowd would have been happy if Brown had gotten the officer's weapon and killed him.

No reason to roll the quad, but this zero's bad decisions are what earned him a dirt nap.

The first line is one the craziest, most insane things ever posted on the boards. That's hard to do.

What's sad is SC could actually think this would ever be possible or is even willing to think and post such a thing.

Somebody also went through all the classrooms in Tribble and wrote "The Juice is Loose" on the blackboard and pulled the projector screen down over it. So at whatever next point the professor went to write something on the board and raised the screen, he/she had to erase OJ. That still cracks me up for no real reason.

Didn't know that. Oh, pull down projector screens...

The first line is one the craziest, most insane things ever posted on the boards. That's hard to do.

What's sad is SC could actually think this would ever be possible or is even willing to think and post such a thing.

Serious question: Do you have an endless supply of outrage, or do you every now and then get worn out and decide "ah fuck it, I'm too tired to rage about that right now"? If it's the latter, would you let us know the next time you take a pass? I'm interested in where the outrage line lies. Personally, I tend to lean to the left, but all the endless outrage here and (even moreso) in my FB stream is wearing me out.

WFU won a basketball game that day... are we sure that is not the reason it was rolled?

Hey maybe the reason Abe Lincoln got shot was his top hat was blocking the guy's view behind him.

Serious question: Do you have an endless supply of outrage, or do you every now and then get worn out and decide "ah fuck it, I'm too tired to rage about that right now"? If it's the latter, would you let us know the next time you take a pass? I'm interested in where the outrage line lies. Personally, I tend to lean to the left, but all the endless outrage here and (even moreso) in my FB stream is wearing me out.

My question is how you aren't outraged by statements like this, "I guess the panty waste pc crowd would have been happy if Brown had gotten the officer's weapon and killed him."

It's not like this poster hasn't similar things in the past. He believes this.

How anyone can think such things is beyond me. I don't think being "outraged" by such a statement is left or right. It's basic humanity.

How anyone can think such things is beyond me. I don't think being "outraged" by such a statement is left or right. It's basic humanity.

Most people not on an extreme end of the spectrum have a limited capacity for induced outrage. Being bombarded with it, even from people who generally share your political inclinations, gets tiresome. It's not so much about what happened as it is about the never-ending rage dance of people who really want to demonstrate how outraged they are about it. At the end of the day, even well-meaning social media activists (of which there are WAY too many in my feeds) lose their audience. It's the PETA Effect.

Yes, it's stupid to roll the quad over some grand jury action or inaction (celebrations like that should be saved for when we get a new AD). But I really don't care if a bunch of idiots do it. The synthetic moral certainty claimed by groups on both sides of these spout-fests does nothing to nurture the sort of discussions that might actually be productive. It just cements the views of those on the edges and makes a lot of people in the middle tune out.

You went a bit past what I did. My response to actions on the quad was extremely muted. All I said was,"Sadly not shocked at all..."

Why not even a statement about the outrageous statement by SC?

OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Most people not on an extreme end of the spectrum have a limited capacity for induced outrage. Being bombarded with it, even from people who generally share your political inclinations, gets tiresome. It's not so much about what happened as it is about the never-ending rage dance of people who really want to demonstrate how outraged they are about it. At the end of the day, even well-meaning social media activists (of which there are WAY too many in my feeds) lose their audience. It's the PETA Effect.

Yes, it's stupid to roll the quad over some grand jury action or inaction (celebrations like that should be saved for when we get a new AD). But I really don't care if a bunch of idiots do it. The synthetic moral certainty claimed by groups on both sides of these spout-fests does nothing to nurture the sort of discussions that might actually be productive. It just cements the views of those on the edges and makes a lot of people in the middle tune out.

OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111111111

So I've taken a week or so off from the boards to try and gain some perspective on what makes people say the things they say about me. Part of what has bothered me in the past is the suggestion that liberal outrage is fake outrage. It bothered me less when it was from Brasky because he is an odd arbiter of what people should and shouldn't care about. It bothered me more when it was from people whose opinions were almost always well considered and reasoned.

I think this idea of a limited amount of bandwidth people can stand for what Kent is describing as "induced outrage" is really interesting. Without getting into it too much, emotional intelligence is not a strong suit of mine. I care way too fucking much, and there are certain ways it has affected my life negatively, whether that's the ability to interact on a message board with my peers without getting butthurt, or giving homeless people way too much money when I'm blackout drunk, or ruining relationships, or whatever it is. What I'm learning, though, is that it's important to rein in some of the "induced outrage," no matter how strongly I feel about certain topics. Effete whining on a message board doesn't do anything to solve real world problems, though I'd like to think that well-reasoned arguments can make people consider new viewpoints.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say here is that I'll try not to be such a punk bitch about tags and people making fun, try after this post to never make a thread about myself (a la rjkarl), and I'm still gonna call Caturday a racist cunt every chance I get.

So I've taken a week or so off from the boards to try and gain some perspective on what makes people say the things they say about me. Part of what has bothered me in the past is the suggestion that liberal outrage is fake outrage. It bothered me less when it was from Brasky because he is an odd arbiter of what people should and shouldn't care about. It bothered me more when it was from people whose opinions were almost always well considered and reasoned.

I think this idea of a limited amount of bandwidth people can stand for what Kent is describing as "induced outrage" is really interesting. Without getting into it too much, emotional intelligence is not a strong suit of mine. I care way too fucking much, and there are certain ways it has affected my life negatively, whether that's the ability to interact on a message board with my peers without getting butthurt, or giving homeless people way too much money when I'm blackout drunk, or ruining relationships, or whatever it is. What I'm learning, though, is that it's important to rein in some of the "induced outrage," no matter how strongly I feel about certain topics. Effete whining on a message board doesn't do anything to solve real world problems, though I'd like to think that well-reasoned arguments can make people consider new viewpoints.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say here is that I'll try not to be such a punk bitch about tags and people making fun, try after this post to never make a thread about myself (a la rjkarl), and I'm still gonna call Caturday a racist cunt every chance I get.

Stop blacking out drunk and negrepping me every day. Maybe you could get a job.

Stop blacking out drunk and negrepping me every day. Maybe you could get a job.

Hear, hear. It's hard for me to take Townie's catharsis about effete whining seriously when he neg repped me yesterday for putting torture in quotes in a post discussing the definition of "torture."

It has nothing to do with viewpoints. How do you justify celebrating an unarmed teenager being shot to death?

Context matters.

Michael brown was a violent felon. He attacked an old man and a cop. The world is a much better place without him.

My question is how you aren't outraged by statements like this, "I guess the panty waste pc crowd would have been happy if Brown had gotten the officer's weapon and killed him."

It's not like this poster hasn't similar things in the past. He believes this.

My question is this - Why in the fuck would ANYONE be outraged about ANYTHING that is posted on an Internet message board? Who. Gives. A. Fuck.

My question is this - Why in the fuck would ANYONE be outraged about ANYTHING that is posted on an Internet message board? Who. Gives. A. Fuck.

I understand the sentiment and have seen something similar posted on the boards many many times throughout the years. If this was some random corner of the internet or a YouTube comment section or something I would fully agree. I expect more from Wake grads. I shudder to think of Caturday and the like representing us in the real world.

I understand the sentiment and have seen something similar posted on the boards many many times throughout the years. If this was some random corner of the internet or a YouTube comment section or something I would fully agree. I expect more from Wake grads. I shudder to think of Caturday and the like representing us in the real world.

So disagree with Townie = you're a bad rep of WF? Is that on all subjects or just this particular one?

So disagree with Townie = you're a bad rep of WF? Is that on all subjects or just this particular one?

Poor reading comprehension. I really enjoy this board for the good conversation, often with people I vehemently disagree with. My point was that people get worked up when something outrageous gets posted on this board as opposed to random other places on the internet because we're all or are mostly Wake fans/grads.

Back