• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

Grobe closes games with both hands around his neck. His players take the cue.

I really can't believe it. The game followed the script like no other game I've ever seen. You could have predicted the entire thing.

I don't really let Wake Forest sports get to me these days, but I kind of want to kill myself right now after watching that.

yep. i swore i would never let a wake game affect me like the Wake-WVU tournament game did. it took this long for it to get to me. this was an epic "fuck you wake fan" game

Of course if we had run the ball 3 times on our last possession, people would be all over Grobe as well. Completing that first pass doomed us. Put us in the position to try and go for the win.

If anything we lost because we were going for the win. Maybe not the best play calling but if IIRC we were passing on four straight downs.

I want to be pissed off, but I guess I'm getting old because I just feel tired and deflated. Our guys played their hearts out but just ran out of steam again. I chalk it up to depth/conditioning.

Newman's a great kid and I'm sure he's worked his tail off but we have to recruit a PK who's reliable from +30 yards. In 06 Swank probably accounted for three wins all by himself. Special teams are so important.

Congrats to Clemson. I'm hurting like hell for the Wake players and staff.

Lobo sucks so bad. He is single handexly killing this program. We have a very good team.

Come on now, y'all know the saying: "Once again Wake nmanages to snatch defeat from the hands of victory." We are really good at it.

This is the way iot has been since I enrolled at Wake.

If an alien landed in my front yard tomorrow and it and I got in a conversation about Wake Forest football, I would show it a tape of this game. It really was the quintessential Jim Grobe football game at Wake Forest. You couldn't have scripted it any more accurately.

Yeah this took the mantle from the Syracuse game earlier this year. Hasn't been at all frustrating watching this team this year.

I have achieved a perfect state of apathy with respect to WFU basketball. I don't care if they lose every game, and I don't care if they go undefeated. My consistent reaction is boredom.

Sadly, I have not been able to get to that place with respect to WFU football. I still get my hopes up. When I do, I know in the back of my mind it's a mistake. But I can't help it. It's really frustrating.

it hurts, but I thought we were gonna lose by 30. Give the team and coaches credit, we gave a top ten team all they could handle in their own stadium. That's pretty respectable and much better than anyone predicted out of the Deacs this season.

Fine...you're right.

But we were still 5-2 and had the chance to win the division or take the lead in the division on multiple occasions.

We are now 5-5 and have shat away 3 straight games.

I don't give a fuck how bad anyone thought we were going to be, or how low our expectations were....we had the division and season in our hands and we let it slip away by making excuses that we "weren't supposed to be there" with respect to a division lead.

I would never call for the firing of Grobe...I was at Wake for the 2006 season and went to Jacksonville and Miami...it's something that I will cherish and remember forever.

That being said, if Jim Grobe was let go tomorrow, I wouldn't put up a fuss.

at least we didn't lose to Duke

That's basically the story of late October/November the last 3 seasons.

We're 2-13 in conference games on Oct 15 or later in the last 3 season. The two wins were against Duke. Even if 2008, we went 2-2 in conference games after Oct 15 and the wins were against Duke (1-7) and UVa (3-5).

It's hard not to get caught up in the moment, but this sucks. Grobe and staff do lots of things really well.

They also do a lot of things really poorly. Time management. In-game adjustments. Not being pussies.

Lobo sucks so bad. He is single handexly killing this program. We have a very good team.

I want to jump off a bridge right now. This hurts so badly. And even worse is knowing that it will never change because we will never fire Lobo and so we're stuck with an offense that is completely predictable and impotent when we need them the most.

It's just crazy. Up 14 going into the 4th quarter, most Wake fans thought we were going to lose.

You kind of get used to it, but when you put it bluntly like this it really is sad. No one thought we were going to win.

Get some perspective, people. Look at where our football program was before Grobe got here. He has built it from the bottom up. Our facilities are better, our players are better, and we have been competitive for the ACC Championship almost every year since 2005. You can't expect to go into Death Valley with so much on the line and get a win. To lose in this fashion sucks, but it's a testament to how far we've come that we're even in this position. Nobody thought we would be this good after last year.

Can you please stop with the moral victory mess. Or at least wait until tomorrow?

At some point you have to graduate from keeping it closer than people thought and being competitive to actually having the stones to win the close ones.

Get some perspective, people. Look at where our football program was before Grobe got here. He has built it from the bottom up. Our facilities are better, our players are better, and we have been competitive for the ACC Championship almost every year since 2005. You can't expect to go into Death Valley with so much on the line and get a win. To lose in this fashion sucks, but it's a testament to how far we've come that we're even in this position. Nobody thought we would be this good after last year.

Last year was a bottom.

WakeUp nails it. Grobe's been here for a long time and we're losing games the way we did in his first few years, the ways we did all but for a 3 year stretch when we had a great defense and a great kicker the essential tools to winning with Grobe's style.

Last edited:
We had to graduate from being f'n awful last year first.

Not trying to talk you out of being pissed off. Wake could/should have won that game. I'm hacked off too, but getting pumped for our next ACC championship.

Love me some LOWF. Om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. That's some good shit.

Fuck me.

We're simply never going to win a game at Clemson with Grobe. It just isn't going to happen.

Back