• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

They also do a lot of things really poorly. Time management. In-game adjustments. Not being pussies.

I want to jump off a bridge right now. This hurts so badly. And even worse is knowing that it will never change because we will never fire Lobo and so we're stuck with an offense that is completely predictable and impotent when we need them the most.

If it was so predictable how did we score four times?

Of course if we had run the ball 3 times on our last possession, people would be all over Grobe as well. Completing that first pass doomed us. Put us in the position to try and go for the win.

If anything we lost because we were going for the win. Maybe not the best play calling but if IIRC we were passing on four straight downs.

I'm personally not upset about that aspect of things. We gave it a shot at the end and failed. What bothers me is our lame ass prevent defense at the end of every half/game. We just try not to lose, and it hurts. Give our horses a chance to make a play

I am convinced based on the entire game that we lose in OT if it makes it that far. So no real risk in going for the W in regulation

Because it's possible to be unpredictable for three quarters and not the fourth, you insufferable moron.

Also, two plus two equals four, since you're apparently that slow.

Not sure how you credit Lobo's offense with Camp's punt return TD.

A classic coulda, woulda, shoulda game...A 3 TD dog against the #9 team at their place and played an excellent game...Same ole assholes will blame the coaches for dropped ints and missed fgs...Fact is wake wins the last two games and 7-5 + a bowl game will exceed most predicts, especially the forementioned pricks...I'll take it...

I'm sick of this shit.

We have to move the damn ball and all the punts in the 4th quarter are inexcusable then to not run some clock on that last posession is just the opposite of what he usually does.

When we need to be conservative we're not.

Just stupid. Great coaching overall till game day.

A classic coulda, woulda, shoulda game...A 3 TD dog against the #9 team at their place and played an excellent game...Same ole assholes will blame the coaches for dropped ints and missed fgs...Fact is wake wins the last two games and 7-5 + a bowl game will exceed most predicts, especially the forementioned pricks...I'll take it...

Great post.

WakeUp nails it. Grobe's been here for a long time and we're losing games the way we did in his first few years, the ways we did all but for a 3 year stretch when we had a great defense and a great kicker the essential tools to winning with Grobe's style.

So what is your solution?

Fire Grobe or recruit/coach a great defense and kicker?

So what is your solution?

Fire Grobe or recruit/coach a great defense and kicker?

It's up to Grobe to recruit the players he needs to win. If he can't do that, then he needs to find a different way to win with the players he can get.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I like Jim Grobe and wouldn't trade him for any coach in particular. But at this point I know damn well that in crunch time, more often than not our defense is going to allow the other team to drive the ball with ease, particularly through the air. I know that our offense will go 3 and out and likely lose yards. And I know that if we have the lead, we probably won't hold it. Just the way it is.

We ran the aggressive offense in the 4th that everyone has been demanding. Not sure what happened? I thought that was what we needed to do, jk.

Truthfully, we were patient the entire game until the end where we started to panic - players and coaches.

Fuck you. Ive been a Deac fan for 3 years and have more respect for what those young men did out on that field today than any of you "lifelong fans" and alumni who have posted on this thread do. Did you watch the game? Were you there? Do you have any idea what we just did to a top 10 team in the loudest stadium I've ever been to?

You guys are ridiculous.
That game hurt like hell.
Not sure why you are ripping the head coach though.
We played very aggressive. We went for it on 4th down from their 5. That was the right call even though it didn't work.
We missed 2 FGs. Were those the wrong decisions by the coach.
had a chance to steal a win after the missed FG. If they call running plays this place would've blown up. IN hindsight, yes, a running play might have been a better call there but if it gets stuffed nothing would've change. Last week Lobo was ripped for running too much in the red zone.
We just failed to execute enough to win.
It's crushing to lose a winnable game against a more talented top 10 team on the road when we were in such a position to win. But I fail to see how this should be pinned on Grobe.

Fuck you. Ive been a Deac fan for 3 years and have more respect for what those young men did out on that field today than any of you "lifelong fans" and alumni who have posted on this thread do. Did you watch the game? Were you there? Do you have any idea what we just did to a top 10 team in the loudest stadium I've ever been to?

Is this a parody? Come back when you've been emotionally beat down for decades.

It's up to Grobe to recruit the players he needs to win. If he can't do that, then he needs to find a different way to win with the players he can get.

So assuming he doesn't change his strategy (i.e. Managing the game like he has a defense and special teams when in fact both suck)... do you want him dismissed?

Is this a parody? Come back when you've been emotionally beat down for decades.

You know, Ph, when you think about it. It's really remarkable how consistent we've lost games like this for over a decade. Seriously, at some point, you would expect to see anomalies. But, for the most part, we've been very consistent.

So assuming he doesn't change his strategy (i.e. Managing the game like he has a defense and special teams when in fact both suck)... do you want him dismissed?

No. I don't trust Ron Wellman to hire somebody better.

So you're saying that Grobe doesn't try to recruit better players??? Really???

Back