• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

Was ph leading by two TDs with less than a quarter of the questions remaining? Was ph responsible for getting the student to attend his university?

I don't pin this loss squarely on the coaches. There was obviously some botched execution that - if done correctly - would have won us the game. But don't come in here with some weak-as-shit analogies and expect us to think no one, Grobe or otherwise, can win at Wake.

No I doubt ph was leading Princeton in the IQ bowl with less than a quarter of questions remaining. If he was it was the students , not him, responsible.

Special teams can be a problem even for the best teams like Alabama last week. Grobe is an excellent coach and has created the model for player dvelopmetn and recruitment for us to win.

We lost the game on offense. Clemson is too good. they willl score and we just sucked on offense. Lobo has got to go. Then coach will be here until 2016.

What was our 3rd down conversion ratio? What was our run;pass ratio?

31 points was enough to win the game. Not sure how this was on Lobo.

I first want to say that holding a 14-point game in the third quarter, we should have won. No escaping that.

That being said, the reason that we had that lead on top-10 team in a place that we haven't won in 12 years is because Clemson and Tajh Boyd in particular was playing like shit.

Think about the two scores that put us up. We get a punt return TD when we haven't had one in 4 years, so I think it's safe to say that Clemson might have had a coverage issue. Then Clemson fumbles the ball deep in its own territory and gives us a short field and easy score. Even when we were leading, it's not like we were playing particularly well, and there was too much time to be able to count on that level of play getting us a win.

It's easy to look at it from a Wake-centric point of view as a Wake fan, but the honest truth is that Boyd played a lot better in the fourth quarter and Clemson showed why they were a better team than us.

It's the curse of Grobe. How many people would have taken honestly taken Wake + 3.5 before the game? Just like how many people would have bet on us having 5+ wins this year before the season? When you win, people keep raising expectations quickly and always wanting more to the point that any step backwards is now causes you to be more upset than if you had never been given the hope in the first place. Thinking rationally, it's absurd to be upset with where we are right now.

I am upset that we lost. This one hurt more than any one in the past three or four years. But at the same time, we still have the opportunity to do what I'm betting 75% of the people didn't think we would do this year, and that's make a bowl game. We are going to finish second in our division when we were picked last. And a large reason for that is our coaching staff, despite how much they are getting skewered on here.

Flame away

Losing the way Grobe does continues the perception that Wake football will always be a novelty at best, that is if people think of us at all. That's what kills me.

Really? What were those issues? Dino had top 10 talent?

Name ten men's college basketball teams that had more talent during the 2008-09 season than Wake Forest did. Give an honest effort.

On second thought, nevermind. I'd rather not hear it.

Here is the ultimate friction:

Wake Forest fans hate to lose.
Jim Grobe loves to win.

I first want to say that holding a 14-point game in the third quarter, we should have won. No escaping that.

That being said, the reason that we had that lead on top-10 team in a place that we haven't won in 12 years is because Clemson and Tajh Boyd in particular was playing like shit.

Think about the two scores that put us up. We get a punt return TD when we haven't had one in 4 years, so I think it's safe to say that Clemson might have had a coverage issue. Then Clemson fumbles the ball deep in its own territory and gives us a short field and easy score. Even when we were leading, it's not like we were playing particularly well, and there was too much time to be able to count on that level of play getting us a win.

It's easy to look at it from a Wake-centric point of view as a Wake fan, but the honest truth is that Boyd played a lot better in the fourth quarter and Clemson showed why they were a better team than us.

It's the curse of Grobe. How many people would have taken honestly taken Wake + 3.5 before the game? Just like how many people would have bet on us having 5+ wins this year before the season? When you win, people keep raising expectations quickly and always wanting more to the point that any step backwards is now causes you to be more upset than if you had never been given the hope in the first place. Thinking rationally, it's absurd to be upset with where we are right now.

I am upset that we lost. This one hurt more than any one in the past three or four years. But at the same time, we still have the opportunity to do what I'm betting 75% of the people didn't think we would do this year, and that's make a bowl game. We are going to finish second in our division when we were picked last. And a large reason for that is our coaching staff, despite how much they are getting skewered on here.

Flame away
So true, Boyd was terrible, I agree with everything except these type of game has happen so mAny times under Grobe. There are too many losses like this for it to be an anomaly.

24 hours from now I will like Grobe again, but today I will be pissed. No one cares anyways

Losing the way Grobe does continues the perception that Wake football will always be a novelty at best, that is if people think of us at all. That's what kills me.

going to the Orange Bowl this year changes that. That is why losing this game is a killer with a 2td led. Jess Palmer just said "clemson let wake stay in the game" fuck this ! no excuse for losing that game like that.

What was our 3rd down conversion ratio? What was our run;pass ratio?

31 points was enough to win the game. Not sure how this was on Lobo.

Clemson allowed 385 ypg coming into the game. Our offense gained 317.

Clemson allowed 25.67 ppg coming into the game. Our offense scored 21.

Clemson allowed an 86% scoring rate and 50% TD rate in the red zone coming into the game. Our offense went 0 for 2 (0%) in the red zone.

Thirty-one points was not enough to win the game, it was enough to send the game to overtime. Thirty-one points by the offense would have been enough to win the game. Unfortunately, they only scored 21, 14 of which came off drives that started on Clemson's side of the 50.

Anyone wholly blaming the loss on the coaching staff is a moron, as you appropriately pointed out. Anyone wholly absolving them from blame is also a moron.

Clemson allowed 385 ypg coming into the game. Our offense gained 317.

Clemson allowed 25.67 ppg coming into the game. Our offense scored 21.

Clemson allowed an 86% scoring rate and 50% TD rate in the red zone coming into the game. Our offense went 0 for 2 (0%) in the red zone.

Thirty-one points was not enough to win the game, it was enough to send the game to overtime. Thirty-one points by the offense would have been enough to win the game. Unfortunately, they only scored 21, 14 of which came off drives that started on Clemson's side of the 50.

Anyone wholly blaming the loss on the coaching staff is a moron, as you appropriately pointed out. Anyone wholly absolving them from blame is also a moron.

You can't take our special teams points out of it and compare the stat against total points allowed.

Newman sure picked a hell of a time in the season to go into a giant funk.

Again, we played hard but repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot when we had a chance to put the game away.

Clemson averaged 473 ypg going into the game. Our defense yielded 522.

Clemson averaged 304 ypg throwing the football going into the game. Our defense yielded 343.

Clemson averaged 170 ypg rushing the football going into the game. Our defense yielded 179.

Clearly these numbers are Lobo's fault.

But congrats to the defense for holding Clemson 7 points under their scoring average. Although this was partially attributable to the fact Wake controlled the clock offensively and won the TOP battle.

Newman sure picked a hell of a time in the season to go into a giant funk.

Again, we played hard but repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot when we had a chance to put the game away.

I can't believe we have a scholarship kicker that can't be trusted to make anything over 35 yards.

Newman set a school record for most consecutive FGs.

Kind of like the FT record. Made 50 in a row and then miss the one that would win us a game we lose in OT.

I hate to admit it, but I knew we were going to lose this game even when we went up 28-14. Even when the Clemson PK missed that late FG, I didn't have the heart to rejoice over the probability of OT.

Grobe's team just reminds me of the old Dave Odom bb teams - we can jump out to a good lead, but we are ALWAYS going to let the opponent back into it. As soon as the picture starts looking a little too rosy, Wake's staff starts playing not to lose. And it leads to so many heartbreaks. Sigh ...

I didn't see us play not to lose. We just didn't execute. But every time we blow a lead that accusation comes out.

Newman set a school record for most consecutive FGs.

Kind of like the FT record. Made 50 in a row and then miss the one that would win us a game we lose in OT.

Does it really matter when most of the FGs are chip shots? He has never shown any reliability from respectable distances.

Back